Tow rigs

wibornz

The reason I bought a trailer is the cost of the trailer is about the cost to set up a vehicle to flat tow, and trailer tires are way cheaper than 37 jeep tires.

bhaner

Anyone have a setup to tow two JKU's?

Been thinking about a nice gooseneck trailer.

Figure a 35+5 25k would do it.

jdofmemi

I seen two early Broncos on that setup. They fit with room to spare

My only concern would be to make sure there is room to fold the ramps up, and have a heavy enough tow rig to handle the hitch weight with one rig all the way to the front.

bhaner

I seen two early Broncos on that setup. They fit with room to spare

My only concern would be to make sure there is room to fold the ramps up, and have a heavy enough tow rig to handle the hitch weight with one rig all the way to the front.

Yep. My SRW 3500 is right at or slightly over capacity at that point. Looks like a good excuse for a DRW!

wjtstudios

Hooked

Haven’t picked it up yet, but I will have s 32’ gooseneck soon. I’ve measured it and for the load & Trail 32’ 101” wide triple axle gooseneck fits two JKUs with about 18” between and in-front without hanging over rear.

The bigger issue is getting one with the 21k GVRW. The rigs will be north of 6k each and the trailer weight is around 7. That really pushes the towing capacity way up on the tow rig.

I’ll keep you posted. I should have it in about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bhaner

Yeah, it’s right at the max of a SRW. I’m trying not to go DRW if I don’t have too.

Doing the math... Best case I am about 2500# over.

Funny thing is with the SRW vs. DRW the axles and brakes are the same.

You go from towing 16,860 with my SRW and 3.42's to towing 30,310 with a DRW and 4.10's. That is a big jump!

Makes me want to just change from 3.42's to 4.10's and run it!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Doing the math... Best case I am about 2500# over.

Funny thing is with the SRW vs. DRW the axles and brakes are the same.

You go from towing 16,860 with my SRW and 3.42's to towing 30,310 with a DRW and 4.10's. That is a big jump!

Makes me want to just change from 3.42's to 4.10's and run it!

Yeah I came to a similar conclusion on the 3500. The frame, driveline, everything is basically the same between the two. If I had to guess, it may come down to the additional surface area of the second wheels. I’m going to run it for awhile and see how it goes. Worst case we’ll dump a Jeep off and have them drive thru the worst of the elevation changes. But for me in Michigan, most everything here is pretty flat.

Long term goal of the Ram will be some AEV upgrades that will include a locked rear diff. I’ll probably bump up to 4:10s when I do that.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another consideration on the DRW and the SRW will also be the load range for the tires. I’ll have to look into that as well with the additional pin weight from the Gooseneck and the weight distribution on the trailer and how that compares to the total tire max load. I’d hate to blow a tire while hauling a couple jkus!

bhaner

Another consideration on the DRW and the SRW will also be the load range for the tires. I’ll have to look into that as well with the additional pin weight from the Gooseneck and the weight distribution on the trailer and how that compares to the total tire max load. I’d hate to blow a tire while hauling a couple jkus!

Yep. Same with hauling my camper. I am over weight on the rear axle by 1000#.

Some 19.5's would solve that! Rated at like 4200# a tire/wheel!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yep. Same with hauling my camper. I am over weight on the rear axle by 1000#.

Some 19.5's would solve that! Rated at like 4200# a tire/wheel!

You had me thinking, so I had to look into it a bit. Best load rating I could find that fit mine was a BFG AT 285/65-20 that has a tire load rating of 3890. Still looking around though.

The General Grabber has a load rating of 4,080.

Last edited:

bhaner

You had me thinking, so I had to look into it a bit. Best load rating I could find that fit mine was a BFG AT 285/65-20 that has a tire load rating of 3890. Still looking around though.

I have been looking as well. My 285/60R20's that came on the truck are about done at 45k. They are only good for 3640# a tire. I think the stock 20" wheels are only rated for 3700#. Most aftermarket 20" wheels are 3700#.

I am thinking about getting the Falken A/T3W's in stock size. Same rating as stock.

Top Bottom