Transfer case studs

fiend

Caught the Bug
So I got the t case out today. Confirmed that one stud is broken and two have backed themselves nearly all the way out.

New studs have been ordered but won’t arrive until Thursday. Hopefully it will be easy enough to install them and get the t case back in the Jeep.

I sprang for the $100 harbor freight transmission jack. Made the job a lot easier. IMG_0881.jpg IMG_0882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
So I got the t case out today. Confirmed that one stud is broken and two have backed themselves nearly all the way out.

New studs have been ordered but won’t arrive until Thursday. Hopefully it will be easy enough to install them and get the t case back in the Jeep.

I sprang for the $100 harbor freight transmission jack. Made the job a lot easier. View attachment 318925 View attachment 318926

Sounds like you have it well in hand.. So to speak.

Say what you want about Harbor Freight... Sometimes it the perfect thing

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you have it well in hand.. So to speak.

Say what you want about Harbor Freight... Sometimes it the perfect thing

Harbor Freight is great for certain things, as long as you have realistic expectations. The transmission jack may get limited use, but it’s already paid for itself as far as I’m concerned. [emoji41]

Hey, you don't really need that RubiCrawler... Why don't you go ahead and drop that out for me while you're under there and I'll come pick it up. [emoji41]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Hmm, lemme think about that ....

Nope! [emoji38]

longarmwj

I sprang for the $100 harbor freight transmission jack. Made the job a lot easier. View attachment 318925 View attachment 318926

Nice job!!

Don’t forget to drill some holes in it so water drains away easier.

fiend

Caught the Bug
So in the course of this project I got to thinking about how the transfer case just hangs on with six bolts/studs, which seems like it could be vulnerable. I wondered whether anyone had tried to design a brace or bracket to support the rear of case. I found this product. At the cross member attachment, the bracket incorporates a flexible mount, like a motor mount. Anyone seen this before? In theory the extra support seems like a good idea. But I could also see how this might add extra stress to the t case. Thoughts? IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0892.jpg

jorgelrod

Hooked
So in the course of this project I got to thinking about how the transfer case just hangs on with six bolts/studs, which seems like it could be vulnerable. I wondered whether anyone had tried to design a brace or bracket to support the rear of case. I found this product. At the cross member attachment, the bracket incorporates a flexible mount, like a motor mount. Anyone seen this before? In theory the extra support seems like a good idea. But I could also see how this might add extra stress to the t case. Thoughts? View attachment 319056 View attachment 319057

First time I see something like that, not completely sold on it though...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Interesting. Curious to see what the consensus opinion on this is...

First time I see something like that, not completely sold on it though...

I haven’t found much info on it, which suggests to me that it may be a solution in search of a problem. The manufacturer primarily emphasizes the benefits for reducing bounce with a manual transmission. I have an auto, so that’s not relevant to me.

Top Bottom