Drain Holes on KMC XD Wheels

Ddays

Hooked
will be interested to see how it all turns out.

personally, that's more patience and time than i've got and would just order the XD229 rings.

Speaking of, I almost bought XD229 rings for my Chamber Pros II's because i got OCD during day after day of rain and not being able to keep it out of the wheel.

The cost of XD229 rings only made the cost of buying a new set of wheels reasonable so i bought new wheels :icon_crazy:

I also priced the rings when they first came out but figured out later they wouldn't work with the Chamber Pros - they don't have the notches in the inner rim that would allow the water to drain out like the Machetes do....

2E7F4DD1-CCC5-4A70-9527-F92A796C2588.jpg

SLO

I also priced the rings when they first came out but figured out later they wouldn't work with the Chamber Pros - they don't have the notches in the inner rim that would allow the water to drain out like the Machetes do....

Yeah, if it was that easy I would have saved myself a lot of time.

Do you remember how much the rings were?

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, if it was that easy I would have saved myself a lot of time.

Do you remember how much the rings were?

They were at least, if not more than $100 at that time. :shock: That alone banished that idea. I know we all buy dumb shit from time to time, but for me that was a little excessive for something that was cosmetic.

jeeeep

Hooked

View attachment 318882

didn't think to look for that, good I didn't buy rings only, I would've been pissed...

my dumbshit buys pile is already too big :doh:

jeeeep

Hooked
They were at least, if not more than $100 at that time. :shock: That alone banished that idea. I know we all buy dumb shit from time to time, but for me that was a little excessive for something that was cosmetic.

I got a quote at $200/ring :shock:

SLO

I got a quote at $200/ring :shock:

I’m going to just have OMF Performance make me some. They are around $150 each and I can pretty much do whatever I want. They can do any thickness, width, drain holes, recessed bolts, engravings, etc. I don’t remember if I mentioned but part of the reason I started this whole thing was to have custom rings made. I wanted something unique.

I’m guessing I can sell my original rings to someone to recoup some of the cost.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I’m going to just have OMF Performance make me some. They are around $150 each and I can pretty much do whatever I want. They can do any thickness, width, drain holes, recessed bolts, engravings, etc. I don’t remember if I mentioned but part of the reason I started this whole thing was to have custom rings made. I wanted something unique.

I’m guessing I can sell my original rings to someone to recoup some of the cost.

If unique is what you are going for. You win.;)

jesse3638

Hooked
Honestly I'm not sure why so much focus is being out on drain holes. Yes if it sits and drys there it'll leave a ring but simply dry it or blow it out when you get home.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

Honestly I'm not sure why so much focus is being out on drain holes. Yes if it sits and drys there it'll leave a ring but simply dry it or blow it out when you get home.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app
So, it's not. I tried to explain in the original post and a couple posts ago. I didn't go into much detail because I thought no one would really care but the number of comments is making me think I was wrong. I originally was trying to decide between Trail Ready and KMC's. I really liked the rings that TR offers, specifically the "Rock Ring" and "World Series" ring but I liked the style of the Machete wheel itself more than TR. I also liked that rings like the World Series protect the valve stems more. I am going to be putting in Monster Valves so I'd like it to be as protected as possible.

I couldn't decide between the two and since both had long wait times, I ordered both and figured I'd see which one arrived first. While I was waiting, I found out about Champion and OMF and saw their custom rock rings that they can make for any wheel. I figured that I could have the best of both...the Machete style wheel and a custom made rock ring that is similar to TR. Plus, the price for the Machete and the custom rock ring is still less than the TR's. The KMC's shipped first so I decided I would go that route. Since I am going to have custom rock rings made, I figured I would have drain holes cut. Not the primary goal but one of my wants. So, when they showed up and I saw that there was already a pocket more than half cut out where the drain holes would go and I realized it would be easy to drill out.

I just finished the 5th wheel. I timed how long it took for 1 wheel since there were some that think us Oregonians have nothing better to do than spend days drilling holes. 1 wheel actually took 18 minutes. It turns out that us Oregonians have nothing better to do than spend 90 minutes drilling holes. Well, probably about 2 hours total with setup and cleanup. I started cleaning out the holes on one of the wheels with the router and a CNC bit and it actually worked really well. As I hoped, the shank of the bit rode along the end of the factory cut and the cutting part stayed right where it needed to be. I posted pictured below. I started with cutting fluid but there is so little material being removed that I did the last few without it and there were no issues. It will probably only take me another hour to finish that. So, 3 hours total. Not bad. I spent half of that just posting this thread, reading replies and posting my own replies.

Sorry for the long post. I realize that most of you could care less and think it was stupid to begin with but if I know forums, someone will come along and have the same idea and hopefully learn from this.

IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0327.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ab4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ab4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Just wait until my drain holes are cutout in the shape of the Seahawks logo. Then you will covet my wheels! ��

Shit now you're talking.:thumb: You can have the rings engraved with the logo. You should have mentioned that in the first post. :rock: GO HAWKS (next year):yup:

SLO

Quick update. Got the wheels back from powder coat. They turned out good. I also ordered 1 replacement rock ring from a XD229 to see if it would fit the XD228. The drain holes line up almost perfectly but the mounting holes are slightly off. Strange that the XD228 have different bolt patterns than XD229’s. I have read on here in different posts that they all should be the same, including the Slabs and Chamber Pros. Not quite so.

Gonna return the ring and continue with custom ones.

View attachment 320546 IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0406.JPG

jeeeep

Hooked
Quick update. Got the wheels back from powder coat. They turned out good. I also ordered 1 replacement rock ring from a XD229 to see if it would fit the XD228. The drain holes line up almost perfectly but the mounting holes are slightly off. Strange that the XD228 have different bolt patterns than XD229’s. I have read on here in different posts that they all should be the same, including the Slabs and Chamber Pros. Not quite so.

Gonna return the ring and continue with custom ones.

View attachment 320546 View attachment 320547 View attachment 320548

that sucks, I thought they were interchangeable

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The slabs and chamber pros are the same ring and the 228 should be as well. The only one that wouldn’t be is that 229 and as you found out it’s because of the bolt holes being spaced differently.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So can I put KMC ring on my spyderlock wheels if I ever want to change it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. The solid kmc/atx slab ring will be the same. A good example is Wayalife. His old 20” spiderlocks he had on moby/rubicat he swapped the spiderlock ring out for the solid slab ring cause he bent the hell out of the spiderlock ring causing a balance issue

Top Bottom