JL manual trans

Ddays

Hooked
If you do any off-roading in rocks the manual can be pretty challenging. Unlike Kaitlyn, the new 8 speed auto tranny is pretty sweet. Have you driven one yet?

My first JK was a manual. My second was a auto....

I hated the buzzes, popping out of gear, wobbly stick, bad synchros,etc etc

But I miss rowing gears. If they gave the manual some attention or updating I would consider it. At this point though it’s a hard pass.

JKbrick

If you do any off-roading in rocks the manual can be pretty challenging. Unlike Kaitlyn, the new 8 speed auto tranny is pretty sweet. Have you driven one yet?

I had to get a muffler I could hear while off roading to keep from killing it or killing the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I have a manual JK and don't find it that difficult off road. I do like the selectability of it, however the new 8 speed auto is the key to the 3.6l. When I get a JL I plan on going auto. Plus it seems 37's are no problem and it doesn't need a regear

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

There is a place for both in my opinion.

My JK is the first auto I have had off road.

In rocks and technical climbs, it is hands down easier, more comfortable, and I venture to say safer, since you are not at risk of rolling back while trying to inch forward.

Sand, mud, snow, I would still prefer a manual. The auto is good, but sometimes it decides to be in the wrong gear, and even when in manual mode it shifts when the computer doesn't like what you are trying to do.

Aust249

I drove them both multiple times. In all I think I test drove the JL about 5 times. And honestly, the manual was the most fun so that is what I got. It also happened to be the only one on the lot and they were more than happy to discount it since they don’t sell as many. My JK was an auto and it was great but way to easy once it was built. Point and shoot. No problem. The manual is more of a challenge off road and I enjoy that challenge at this point. In the future I do plan on getting a Gladiator and that will probably be an auto but only time will tell.

benatc1

Hooked
I loved my manual, grew up always driving manual. I'll admit auto is easier when rock crawling but that's not the reason I switched to auto. My wife wouldn't drive the manual and very uncomfortable learning, and wanted no part if it. So auto was a simple compromise to keep her involved when we are out on the trail, otherwise she got board just sitting there and didn't love to go. I will say though that JL 8spd is a pretty nice set up. I'm happy either way, and it's better when I can have her there when I drag it over rocks to justify a lift Haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom