Sure it's Bigger... but is it actually Better? DISSECTING the JL WRANGLER Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This reinforces why I wont go bigger than 35's on my Rubicon. Your write up is informative and thanks for the correction.
You can't buy any vehicle from factory and expect it to be the NUTS. Jeep has to pay government an exorbitant amount of money to even release the Wrangler(and other vehicles) Bigger the carbon foot print, the more auto manuf's have to pay. That's why they lightened it up as much as they could and still maintain the safety standards. But shit will break!!
Within 10 years or less gas engines will be almost gone. Have you seen Jeeps 5 year plan? https://wayalife.com/images/smilies/sSc_eek2.gif

Honestly, speed breaks things than any rock crawling could ever hope to. I see you're out in PA and I think you could run 37's without too much to worry about.

I’ll admit I’m a bit surprised they went with FAD. I understand why, just a little surprised. I still see it as a major improvement over the JK, with the exception of the drain plug...

Truthfully, I've been finding the FAD to be kind of nice or at least, in terms of being able to run more caster without any ill effect on the front drive shaft. The drain bolt on the bottom of the diff is just retarded.

The comparison is unbelievable! I can’t wait to see your video on the JL pr44!

Well, like I said, we still have a bit of filming to do but I do hope to have it out sooner than later. :cool:

I can't wait to see your Gladiator with XD60's & 40's...

:cheesy: You and me both!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing Jet Li on the PR!

It’s really cool the behind the scenes access you get and then to bring us along with you for us to see as well. Thank you!

Fortunately, we've been doing this long enough to have made some good friends within the industry. We truly feel fortunate that we can share what we learn with guys like you :)

Are they only offering one tube wall thickness due to the width? I thought they offer 3/8” and 1/2” wall for the JK

For the JL Wrangler, they will only be offering this bigger tube with a 1/2" wall.

So what you’re saying is my gladiator will be fine on stock axles and 40’s cause that’s what I heard.

Well, if you heard it on the internet, it must be true :thumb:

benatc1

Hooked
This is great info, sure one day I'll tear up these JLUR axles and Dynatrac is the only way I'll go. Excited to see everything they bring to the market

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I've updated the original post and have changed out the photos to show accurate comparison shots of what all the tubes actually look like next to each other.

In this first pic, you'll get to see what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to an old JK Wrangler one. Again, the JL tube has a diameter of 2.75" and that is a bit bigger than the 2.50" that the JK had but it is still shy of the 3" it really should be. Also, the wall thickness of the JL tube is only 0.282" and that's just slightly thicker than what it was before.
20190217141254-a22af9db.jpg

This new pic shows what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to the standard tube that is used on a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL.
20190217141256-82138ea9.jpg

As you can see, the difference is HUGE and there really is no comparison. The Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube kills the JL tube with it's MASSIVE 3.125" diameter tubes and with an impressive 0.50" wall. Just to give you some perspective, this is the same tube that Moby's old ProRock 60 has! :shock:

Finally, here's a shot that shows what a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube looks like next to a JL tube and a JK tube.
20190217141249-97abbdff.jpg

Once again, I apologize for the incorrect information that I had originally posted and hope these new pics are helpful to you :)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I've updated the original post and have changed out the photos to show accurate comparison shots of what all the tubes actually look like next to each other.

In this first pic, you'll get to see what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to an old JK Wrangler one. Again, the JL tube has a diameter of 2.75" and that is a bit bigger than the 2.50" that the JK had but it is still shy of the 3" it really should be. Also, the wall thickness of the JL tube is only 0.282" and that's just slightly thicker than what it was before.
20190217141254-a22af9db.jpg

This new pic shows what a JL Wrangler front axle tube looks like next to the standard tube that is used on a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL.
20190217141256-82138ea9.jpg

As you can see, the difference is HUGE and there really is no comparison. The Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube kills the JL tube with it's MASSIVE 3.125" diameter tubes and with an impressive 0.50" wall. Just to give you some perspective, this is the same tube that Moby's old ProRock 60 has! :shock:

Finally, here's a shot that shows what a Dynatrac ProRock 44JL tube looks like next to a JL tube and a JK tube.
20190217141249-97abbdff.jpg

Once again, I apologize for the incorrect information that I had originally posted and hope these new pics are helpful to you :)

HOLY AXLE TUBE BATMAN! Shit is massive!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's crazy. May as well go to the 60 for the larger gears. ��

If all you were going to do is run 37's, a ProRock 44 would still be the better way to go or at least, in my opinion. It'll have greater ground clearance, weigh less and unless you get an XD60 with the Pro 1550 knuckles, it'll also have a much better turning radius. So long as you keep your ring and pinion to a 5.13 or lower ratio, you won't see any failures there and of course, so long as you run chromoly shafts with full circle clips, you should be good to go there as well. Of course, this is to say nothing about it being more affordable too. A 60 is really for running 40's or bigger.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If all you were going to do is run 37's, a ProRock 44 would still be the better way to go or at least, in my opinion. It'll have greater ground clearance, weigh less and unless you get an XD60 with the Pro 1550 knuckles, it'll also have a much better turning radius. So long as you keep your ring and pinion to a 5.13 or lower ratio, you won't see any failures there and of course, so long as you run chromoly shafts with full circle clips, you should be good to go there as well. Of course, this is to say nothing about it being more affordable too. A 60 is really for running 40's or bigger.

Would you really need to run more than 5.13 with the new transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

True. The 3.8 would love 5.38s with 37s though. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jdofmemi

No. Maybe not even with 40's :hmm: :crazyeyes: :D

LOL!! Just because the ratio may seem right doesn't mean it's a good idea, even with a 3.8L.

The 5.13 pinion is small, the 5.38 pinion is tiny.

If putting big power to it, I think 4.88 would be the way to go, for the pinion strength.

Top Bottom