Patagonia M/T

So remember when the Chinese embargoes happened? Tire companies like Nankang had to find a way around it so they opened plants in other places. Lots of tires started coming out of Indonesia. GT aka Gaja Tungal and several others. Many of them use more nylon in their casings and narrower steel belts. Cheaper construction but could still meet speed ratings and handling indexes. They were however more prone to vibration problems and out of round conditions as well as tread separations and poor mileage. Long story short is cheaper materials and construction. Some of the things however can work well in off road applications where heat and speed ratings aren't as important. They make for pretty tough casings for semi truck and off road tires. Makes sense they might work out ok in the larger sizes for off road use. Smaller sizes with less cavity will be more affected by heat so while the might be ok for off road and short trips summer heat and freeway speeds will probably be their downfall. They are a mostly bias ply tire with enough steel in them to qualify as a radial.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

AJ, it sure sounds like you know a thing or two.:thumb:

SLO

LOL - without doubt. Not a fan of the fact that good bead locks that are made in the USA are so hard to find. I ran Trail Ready’s for my last set but they seem to not be making them right now. Unfortunately, I this is a situation of having to run what’s available and it sucks.
Tell me about it. I called to order a set of TR’s back at the end of October. They thought they had one set left but by the end of the call, i found out they had just sold the last set and they took my name for the waitlist. I just got an email Monday saying that they are pushing out orders another 2 months with delivery dates in late March or early April. How does a [wheel] business survive 5 months of not shipping wheels?

Exodus 4x4

Tell me about it. I called to order a set of TR’s back at the end of October. They thought they had one set left but by the end of the call, i found out they had just sold the last set and they took my name for the waitlist. I just got an email Monday saying that they are pushing out orders another 2 months with delivery dates in late March or early April. How does a [wheel] business survive 5 months of not shipping wheels?
I was able to get a set out of the new facility relatively fast, but they were 20”. Not sure what the hold up is but maybe I should call and check in with them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I was able to get a set out of the new facility relatively fast, but they were 20”. Not sure what the hold up is but maybe I should call and check in with them.

Maybe it’s just the 17’s. Or, maybe they still had 20’s left over. The email made it sound like the plant isn’t in production yet.

Here is the email:

“To our valued customers, your receiving this email because we have a pending order with you for wheels with a previously tentative shipping timeframe of late Jan/Early Feb.

Unfortunately, there has been a delay related to that plant reopening and we’re now looking at a 2 month delay on those projected ship dates. Late March to Early April is the current projection.”

Exodus 4x4

Maybe it’s just the 17’s. Or, maybe they still had 20’s left over. The email made it sound like the plant isn’t in production yet.

Here is the email:

“To our valued customers, your receiving this email because we have a pending order with you for wheels with a previously tentative shipping timeframe of late Jan/Early Feb.

Unfortunately, there has been a delay related to that plant reopening and we’re now looking at a 2 month delay on those projected ship dates. Late March to Early April is the current projection.”

They definitely came from the new facility. We ordered them rushed and they came extremely unfinished, but didn’t matter because we were powder coating them ourselves. They did say that they were able to because they were 20” and that the 17” would take longer.

Ruvicon

I called TrailReady recently to check on availability on some Beadlocks and was told the foundry in China they used was sold and the new owners hadn’t fired the plant back up yet. He thought it’ll be another two months or so before they were back up and running.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I wanted walkers for the JK8 for SEMA. They couldn’t get me a set in 5 months. Luckily TR had them in stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm so where does that leave us? [emoji1303]? Or [emoji1304]?

If true, it’s more than likely a size thing. Toyo makes a majority of their tires in the USA but 40’s are still made in Japan.

That being said, just buy a set already. Nobody I know could give 2 shits about what you do with your money and your Jeep. [emoji1303]

fiend

Caught the Bug
If true, it’s more than likely a size thing. Toyo makes a majority of their tires in the USA but 40’s are still made in Japan.

That being said, just buy a set already. Nobody I know could give 2 shits about what you do with your money and your Jeep. [emoji1303]

Haha. No, not me. Dropped a bucket of dough on some Toyos just last summer.

A.J.

AJ, it sure sounds like you know a thing or two.:thumb:

Yeah I'm full of a bunch of useless information. I was a tire guy for 20 years. You might be surprised how many big tire companies have plants in Indonesia. Michelin, Bridgestone, the list goes on. Also many conglomerates under other company umbrellas. Cooper makes lots of private brand label tires like Mastercraft. TBC is Kelly Springfield which is also Goodyear. Michelin makes Uniroyal etc. etc. it's just a crazy marketing mess.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

Unlike Japan, China is a COMMUNIST country with a government that subsidies their manufacturing industries.

... AND hacks trade secrets (with commendable verve and vigor) from other countries to provide their industries with that extra special bit of support.

13jkjunky

Eddie, hows the road noise on the stt pros? I’m sure you have a few miles on them by now on the jlu and most tires get louder with age. I’m highly considering a set but don’t want them to be too loud and no one I know personally has run them.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Eddie, hows the road noise on the stt pros? I’m sure you have a few miles on them by now on the jlu and most tires get louder with age. I’m highly considering a set but don’t want them to be too loud and no one I know personally has run them.

They hum just like every other mud terrain tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Best thing you can do to keep any mud terrain from getting too loud is to rotate them at every oil change. That being said, if sound is an issue, Toyo MT's are maybe one of the quietest mud terrains I have run.

Eddie, hows the road noise on the stt pros? .

I’ve got about 3000 miles on my 37 x 13.5 STT Pros and they continue to be the quietest Mud terrain I’ve ever had on my JK. They sound 1/4 as loud as the Goodyear KM2’s I was running. You can actually have a normal conversation even with my soft top. But the best thing about them is the way they hook up in the rocks, amazing tires.

Top Bottom