Making the B Pillar removable on a 4 door.

Brute

Hooked
I really like your rear bumper and winch...I went the receiver hitch route, but yours is so much cleaner...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I really like your rear bumper and winch...I went the receiver hitch route, but yours is so much cleaner...

Agreed. I have always thought that a winch to get me back out of a situation I have gotten myself into would be more useful than one to pull me through a mess. A lot of my thought process has to do with what can happen when you try to cross seemingly "dry" desert in Nevada.

There was a failed company a while back that showed some promise with a rear winch, then their ultimate product sucked and they ripped a bunch of people off by never delivering. If memory serves, it was called Benchmark Designs or something like that. They ended up with a bunch of BBB complaints and pissed off customers who prepaid. I thankfully just missed the boat on that one.

maskale

Thanks. It’s a modified Warn bumper, just modified for the fairlead. The bumper doesn’t support the winch any. Main goal was to not make the Jeep any longer or loose ground clearance. I want to shorten the back some, but my tire carrier currently presents a problem. Haven’t figured out a way to still frame mount the carrier and make the whole thing shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

maskale

So I installed a WetSounds sound bar. I ran into a problem, found the solution so I’ll post about it.

First of all I’m not an audio guy.

I bought a powered sound bar and was feeding it amplified signal from the stock radio. That’s a NoNo. Can’t send amplified signal to an amplifier.

I said earlier it worked great. It did. But it wasn’t mounted to the Jeep or powered by the Jeep. I had it setting on a work bench running off a 12v power source with the Jeep speaker wires running to it while I figured out the wiring.

It was all great, I then installed and wired the bar up. But when I went to test it the sound was terrible and after about 10 seconds my radio would trip off.

What happened was once the bar was bolted to the cage it was grounded to the Jeep. How ever it’s made the negative speaker wire is grounded to the bar chassis. So basically I was grounding my radio out.

I had to install a line out converter. This solved the ground issue and it all works great now.

This probably wouldn’t have happened had I bought the non powered version of the sound bar. Especially since my Jeep has the upgraded sound system.

Live n learn.

maskale

Agreed. I have always thought that a winch to get me back out of a situation I have gotten myself into would be more useful than one to pull me through a mess. A lot of my thought process has to do with what can happen when you try to cross seemingly "dry" desert in Nevada.

There was a failed company a while back that showed some promise with a rear winch, then their ultimate product sucked and they ripped a bunch of people off by never delivering. If memory serves, it was called Benchmark Designs or something like that. They ended up with a bunch of BBB complaints and pissed off customers who prepaid. I thankfully just missed the boat on that one.

There is another company that makes one that also uses the winch to raise and lower the spare. But their design makes the Jeep about a foot longer it looks like.

Brute

Hooked

I can't count the times the guy behind me without a winch in deep snow needed a tug but the strap wouldn't do...

jdofmemi

Thanks. It’s a modified Warn bumper, just modified for the fairlead. The bumper doesn’t support the winch any. Main goal was to not make the Jeep any longer or loose ground clearance. I want to shorten the back some, but my tire carrier currently presents a problem. Haven’t figured out a way to still frame mount the carrier and make the whole thing shorter.

Have you thought about a tire carrier like this. It is a Gatekeeper by Excessive Industries.

This is pictured on my JK. I love the look and the short rear look, but hate that it eats most of the space for other gear

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_150100_01-648x486.jpg
    IMG_20190318_150100_01-648x486.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 243

maskale

Have you thought about a tire carrier like this. It is a Gatekeeper by Excessive Industries.

This is pictured on my JK. I love the look and the short rear look, but hate that it eats most of the space for other gear

Yes. I don’t wanna give up the storage. Plus not sure how I feel about the tramp stamp look. It’s not bad looking at all, just not sure if that’s what I wanna do yet.

Is that a 40”?

jdofmemi

Yes. I don’t wanna give up the storage. Plus not sure how I feel about the tramp stamp look. It’s not bad looking at all, just not sure if that’s what I wanna do yet.

Is that a 40”?

It's a 37, but with a kit they have it will fit a 40. That is on a stock set up. With yours anything but, you would have to check and see.
I get all of my tools and trail gear in under the tire, but there is not any room for the camping gear.
I made a roof rack for the Rubicon trip last year.

maskale

It's a 37, but with a kit they have it will fit a 40. That is on a stock set up. With yours anything but, you would have to check and see.
I get all of my tools and trail gear in under the tire, but there is not any room for the camping gear.
I made a roof rack for the Rubicon trip last year.

I’m on 37’s also. When I go to the beach with two dogs a BBQ pit, table, chairs and ice chest it’s a full Jeep without the tire in there.

I like the look though.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Turned out nice. Crazy idea and crazy amount of work but well done.

Sometimes it is fun to try something different.

maskale

Finally got out to wheel it.

IMG-1646.jpg

IMG-1651.jpg

IMG-1654.jpg

IMG-1659.jpg

Top Bottom