What problems does your Jeep have this week?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Has anyone added the greaseable bolts Currie offers? Or rebuilt with this kit?

Damn thing with Johnny joints is that they are like king shocks. Expensive as fuck. And just as expensive to service or rebuild. After buying the kits, install tool, misc crap you could just buy brand new joints. lol

View attachment 334532 .
View attachment 334533 .

Lol. If the one I popped happened to be on the adjustable rod end side I would’ve contemplated getting a whole new assembled piece to just thread in there and save me a headache. Unfortunately I popped the fixed side. Didn’t see those bolts. Might call em back and give it a shot. If it works, would make greasing the frame side of the front lowers much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I don’t know.
I’m thinking they don’t come this way originally. Would be nice to grease thru the bolt though.

That would make it a heck of a lot easier to grease.
I suppose you could drill a hole in your ball centers and just install a greasable bolt.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yup. 100% positive. Grease may have been coming out beforehand but I was distracted and kept pumping until I heard a pop. Total dumbass move. 4 rebuild kits and Currie rebuild tool on order. We’ll see how it goes.

That’s odd. Would be neat to see pictures when you get it apart.

Has anyone added the greaseable bolts Currie offers? Or rebuilt with this kit?

Damn thing with Johnny joints is that they are like king shocks. Expensive as fuck. And just as expensive to service or rebuild. After buying the kits, install tool, misc crap you could just buy brand new joints. lol

View attachment 334532 .
View attachment 334533 .

Never seen or heard of it but if it’s the axle end just buy a new joint. The rebuild kits don’t come with the ball they only come with snap rings, washers and the plastic pieces. The new joint is like $20 more and comes with a new housing and the new spherical ball. It’s really a no brainer. Good luck finding the spherical ball for sale anywhere too.

I keep a couple extras in the tool kit now.

dillard09

Well I did this today. 🤦*♂️ Spun the rear diff and broke my rear driveshaft. Broke the plug welds and diff spun. Tubes didnt move.

Attachments

• 20190911_122318.jpg
    20190911_122318.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 103

dillard09

Doh! That sux big time. Fixable?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep quick and easy when you go to the right place. Moab Motorsports in Moab has done a few and it took him about an hr to roll it back down and weld the tubes and plug welds.
All about the leverage to rotate it back.

Attachments

• 20190911_154600.jpg
    20190911_154600.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190911_154805.jpg
    20190911_154805.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190911_175047.jpg
    20190911_175047.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 106

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yep quick and easy when you go to the right place. Moab Motorsports in Moab has done a few and it took him about an hr to roll it back down and weld the tubes and plug welds.

That’s crazy, it’s great to have the right guys around. Glad it all worked out

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

That's quite the tow truck.

We seen it out on Cliffhanger this year on our Moab trip.

Glad they got you fixed up

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
No new problems at the moment (still have coolant leak from oil cooler), but sitting at my local shop having my 500 mile service done on my new gears.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Pulled the trigger this morning on oil cooler, intake gaskets, thermostat, coolant system flush and coolant. Will be doing everything Friday.

JKbrick

Don’t they have to heat the diff housing up to weld the cast then let it cool really slow?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom