EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

Ddays

Hooked
I'd love to throw in Pritchett Canyon and Hells Revenge on the list for discussion at least. I wouldn't attempt these unless someone experienced on these two is spotting.
May also want to throw Fins & Things on there.

Is it safe to start making arrangements based on the dates you posted? They're fine with me. :thumb:

Edit: may want to put suggestion on first post that if you have not been to Moab before, buying the Charles Wells guide to Moab is excellent reading before you get there.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

How in the Hell do you people take 2 weeks off work? Are you all P.E. teachers or something? Lol... Looks like a great group... Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll have no Jobs then.. [emoji51]

Ah, the joy of being self employed.

We don't get to set the schedule so much as the customers set it for us.

That said, I'm sure you can squeeze in at least half of the trip.

I'm hoping for all of it, but short of a fire emergency, will make at least half.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I'll hold the wrenches and beer anytime and anywhere! Maybe even that crappy scotch you drink. ;)

So put yourself in as going dammit

Careful what you offer. I think a bunch of us have a lot of wrenches to turn before this happens.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
How in the Hell do you people take 2 weeks off work? Are you all P.E. teachers or something? Lol... Looks like a great group... Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll have no Jobs then.. [emoji51]

My boss called me this morning and I just said “by the way...I’m taking off the first two weeks of August”. Seemed to work just fine.

jdofmemi

LOL, I have two of the damn things to get ready. One doesn't even have a lift on it yet :crazyeyes:

Ok, the JL lift will go on in one day in the home garage, unless you are going to a long arm or something even more exotic.

What's the holdup?

boardsurfer

Would it be worthwhile to hit Ophir pass while we are out that way?

IMO, not worth it. We didnt do Ophir while we were there and I dont feel like we missed out on anything. Trust me, with the other trails I listed, you'll be hard pressed to find anything more scenic. It wouldnt be a waste of time - but there's a lot to see and plenty of trails I would rank as higher priority. Ophir was actually our plan B because Black Bear wasnt actually open when we were planning the trip. We got lucky and it opened about a week before we got there. Trust me, you would much rather do BB.

Could any of the Colorado WOF'ers help on the CO end of things...is it worth looking at the Alpine Loop, or doing Poughkeepsie Gulch?

Alpine Loop is 50+ miles of semi-maintained bumpy dirt road that lots of other trails intersect with. You're likely to encounter a lot of tourists and rental Jeeps here because it is accessible to the novice. The summit of Engineer Pass is part of the loop and I think California (or maybe Cinnamon) is as well. You will likely travel small sections of it, but I wouldnt set out to complete the whole thing.

Poughkeepsie is definitely something I would recommend even though we didnt get to run it. (Long story short, Forest Service closed it for the year because some jack asses cut the lock and trespassed the gate). It's the only trail where you'l find any semblance of obstacles or difficulty. Plus it exits at Lake Como and you can return to town via Corkscrew Gulch which I REALLY regret not running while we were there last month.

The switchbacks directly above the white Jeep - that's Corkscrew Gulch.

Rdhcskr.jpg

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
IMO, not worth it. We didnt do Ophir while we were there and I dont feel like we missed out on anything. Trust me, with the other trails I listed, you'll be hard pressed to find anything more scenic. It wouldnt be a waste of time - but there's a lot to see and plenty of trails I would rank as higher priority.

Alpine Loop is 50+ miles of semi-maintained bumpy dirt road that lots of other trails intersect with. You're likely to encounter a lot of tourists and rental Jeeps here because it is accessible to the novice. The summit of Engineer Pass is part of the loop and I think California (or maybe Cinnamon) is as well. You will likely travel small sections of it, but I wouldnt set out to complete the whole thing.

Poughkeepsie is definitely something I would recommend even though we didnt get to run it. (Long story short, Forest Service closed it for the year because some jack asses cut the lock and trespassed the gate). It's the only trail where you'l find any semblance of obstacles or difficulty. Plus it exits at Lake Como and you can return to town via Corkscrew Gulch which I REALLY regret not running while we were there last month.

The switchbacks directly above the white Jeep - that's Corkscrew Gulch.

Rdhcskr.jpg

Beautiful destination!

TrailHunter

Hooked
Ah, the joy of being self employed.

We don't get to set the schedule so much as the customers set it for us.

That said, I'm sure you can squeeze in at least half of the trip.

I'm hoping for all of it, but short of a fire emergency, will make at least half.

Right.. Telling the wife (the real Boss) to hold down the fort for that long is another issue.. :crazyeyes: I'll see what I can do for at least the Moab part of it.... this sounds like a fun trip.

Top Bottom