SoCal Group

jdofmemi

Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is I got a new project at work.

The bad news is even if my replacement axle comes in in time, I won't be able to make it, since I have to get the new project kicked off.

Hope you guys have a great time!

fiend

Caught the Bug
Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is I got a new project at work.

The bad news is even if my replacement axle comes in in time, I won't be able to make it, since I have to get the new project kicked off.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Replacement axle? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Replacement axle? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

First obstacle of the day.

Better than in the middle of the trail at least.

It was the stock one I borrowed from Dan. No worries, I already gave him mine to replace it.

My warranty shaft should be in this week. It got delayed by SEMA

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_112147-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191116_112147-800x600.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20191116_112135-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191116_112135-800x600.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20191116_102122_693.jpeg
    IMG_20191116_102122_693.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 62

TrailHunter

Hooked

It was the stock one I borrowed from Dan. No worries, I already gave him mine to replace it.

Damn Jerry.... Again!... You need some 1 Tons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

WTF?? I kind of wonder if maybe you have something going on that you're not aware of. Seems more than just bad luck. I dunno.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been wondering the same. What could cause u-joints to fail on a regular basis? Other than poor life choices, of course. [emoji23]

Honestly, I'm not really sure. Maybe there's some kind of excessive bind going on. Just isn't normal for any one person to have so many breaks like this.

jdofmemi

WTF?? I kind of wonder if maybe you have something going on that you're not aware of. Seems more than just bad luck. I dunno.

I do.

Three of the four of my breaks is explainable.

This one is a stock axle and u joint. My rear locker is not working. To help overcome that, I was using quite a bit of brake pedal to help get some more torque to the right rear to climb the rock. I was slowly spinning three tires, and adding brake. It had just started to climb when it snapped. I was turned nearly full lock to the right as well, so the u joint was at it's weakest point.

If my locker in the rear was working and the axle/u joint only had to hold up to the resistance of the tire on the rock, it probably would have lived. Adding the extra resistance of the brakes was just too much.

The one on the New Years run, the c clips came off and I lost a cap. Again, on a factory axle.

I have broken two Chromoly shafts as well. The first I was high centered, and spinning pretty hard to try to get out. Full lock to the right, it rotated right and the tire caught a ledge. Totally my fault.

The one I didn't think should have broke was on the Rubicon trip. I was spinning, very slow, and working the steering to get the left front to climb, and as soon as it started to climb, it snapped. It was a Spicer, non greaseable, in a Ten Factory Chromoly axle, with full circle clips but it still didn't hold up. Picture attached.
One ear was bent just enough to not be able to get a replacement u joint to fit. There was no sign of prior damage, it was a 100% fresh break.

That one was a surprise, as I have put it in worse places, and seen many of the friends here I wheel with in just as tight of a spot with no problem.

My ultimate solution is to upgrade to Dana 60 axles, but until I can swing that, I need to decide what to do, because I have enough practice now at changing out axles on the trail.

Attachments

• image000000_05-648x432.jpg
    image000000_05-648x432.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I do.

This one is a stock axle and u joint. My rear locker is not working. To help overcome that, I was using quite a bit of brake pedal to help get some more torque to the right rear to climb the rock. I was slowly spinning three tires, and adding brake. It had just started to climb when it snapped. I was turned nearly full lock to the right as well, so the u joint was at it's weakest point.

If my locker in the rear was working and the axle/u joint only had to hold up to the resistance of the tire on the rock, it probably would have lived. Adding the extra resistance of the brakes was just too much.

The one on the New Years run, the c clips came off and I lost a cap. Again, on a factory axle.

I have broken two Chromoly shafts as well. The first I was high centered, and spinning pretty hard to try to get out. Full lock to the right, it rotated right and the tire caught a ledge. Totally my fault.

The one I didn't think should have broke was on the Rubicon trip. I was spinning, very slow, and working the steering to get the left front to climb, and as soon as it started to climb, it snapped. It was a Spicer, non greaseable, in a Ten Factory Chromoly axle, with full circle clips but it still didn't hold up. Picture attached.
One ear was bent just enough to not be able to get a replacement u joint to fit. There was no sign of prior damage, it was a 100% fresh break.

That one was a surprise, as I have put it in worse places, and seen many of the friends here I wheel with in just as tight of a spot with no problem.

My ultimate solution is to upgrade to Dana 60 axles, but until I can swing that, I need to decide what to do, because I have enough practice now at changing out axles on the trail.

You're always there to go the hard line and sometimes you pay for it. Last weekend wasn't really too big a surprise since your rear lockers weren't working and we were on Hammerdown. That trail is pretty difficult for a fully operational rig.

I know.. Gofundme for 60's!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing things up. Sounds like you are a good candidate for a set of UD60s :yup:

jdofmemi

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing things up. Sounds like you are a good candidate for a set of UD60s :yup:

☝️😁😁😁😁☝️

Now all I have to do is come up with the coin for them, and new wheels, and long arms, and..........

It would probably help a lot if your lockers worked... What's the issue with them, anyway? Or you don't even know yet?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Not sure yet. I had the cover off, ready to check it out, then life happened and I had to just throw the cover back on and go.

Top Bottom