SoCal Group

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Or at least get some RCVs. They’re noisy as hell but tough as nails. I still have my old ones from the axles I’m taking off. Let me know if you’re interested. I haven’t posted them for sale as I’ve been too lazy. Hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
RubiDave and I decided to get out for a shotgun trip to Anza Borrego despite a dubious weather forecast. Auspicious rainbow at Pinyon Mountain trailhead
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg

Both of us got through the Squeeze unscathed. Heart attack hill had a bit of pucker.. flexed out and did some skidding. Dave found a rock to park on in honor of jdofemi (what would Jerry do)
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_4156.jpg

We made it to camp and got tents and a shelter up before it started pouring .
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_4199.jpg

Took Fish Creek out and headed to Borrego Springs in the am for gas and breakfast . Ran Coyote Canyon and was on the way back when I lost steering . Somehow lost a cotter pin AND the Castle nut on the synergy tie rod . Luckily was a hardware store in town nearby. Carrying spare 5/7-18 nuts from now on. Wouldn’t have been a Wayalife run without a mechanical .
IMG_4207.jpg
IMG_4214.jpg
IMG_4215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Looks like fun. Someday I’d like to get out there.

This looks pretty sketchy though. Hope you didn’t drive home with it like that. [emoji50] View attachment 338114

I did . Best we could do without a castle nut . Actually works really well . Torqued bottom bolt to spec. Couldn’t get cotter pin through so the top bolt is just a jam nut . Checked when I got home and both bolts still tight . Steering feels fine too . Will deal with it soon but that nut isn’t available at local hardware stores near me .

Brute

Hooked
I did . Best we could do without a castle nut . Actually works really well . Torqued bottom bolt to spec. Couldn’t get cotter pin through so the top bolt is just a jam nut . Checked when I got home and both bolts still tight . Steering feels fine too . Will deal with it soon but that nut isn’t available at local hardware stores near me .

Steering is overrated...you can use your winch to steer; I've seen it done...somewhere...

rubiDave

It was all fun and games except for the mud.
RubiDave and I decided to get out for a shotgun trip to Anza Borrego despite a dubious weather forecast. Auspicious rainbow at Pinyon Mountain trailhead
View attachment 338096
View attachment 338108

Both of us got through the Squeeze unscathed. Heart attack hill had a bit of pucker.. flexed out and did some skidding. Dave found a rock to park on in honor of jdofemi (what would Jerry do)
View attachment 338097
View attachment 338102
View attachment 338103

View attachment 338104
View attachment 338110

Took Fish Creek out and headed to Borrego Springs in the am for gas and breakfast . Ran Coyote Canyon and was on the way back when I lost steering . Somehow lost a cotter pin AND the Castle nut on the synergy tie rod . Luckily was a hardware store in town nearby. Carrying spare 5/7-18 nuts from now on. Wouldn’t have been a Wayalife run without a mechanical .
View attachment 338105
View attachment 338106
View attachment 338107

20191121_160757.jpg 20191121_160745.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Glad to see you guys holding up my end when I can't make it out to play. 👍

Looks like fun.

Good fix on the tie rod. Using a jamb nut will do, just stop and check it now and then.
I wonder what happened to let the castle nut come off?

I need to get my axle in so I can go on a snow run when it's time.

rubiDave

Glad to see you guys holding up my end when I can't make it out to play. [emoji106]

Looks like fun.

Good fix on the tie rod. Using a jamb nut will do, just stop and check it now and then.

What was weird is the cotter pin had to come out for the nut to back off. We talked a mile back up the trail looking for the nut and didn't find it. Who knows it could have been missing for days and the taper just holding it together. Scary to think that could have happened on the highway at 80mph.

Glad to see you guys holding up my end when I can't make it out to play. [emoji106]

Looks like fun.

TrailHunter

Hooked
What was weird is the cotter pin had to come out for the nut to back off. We talked a mile back up the trail looking for the nut and didn't find it. Who knows it could have been missing for days and the taper just holding it together. Scary to think that could have happened on the highway at 80mph.

Looks like you guys had a fun adventure...

I’ve noticed some of the cotter pins that come with these parts are too small... I keep some larger ones around which help secure the nut better. Also red paint marking the nuts really helps to attract your eye when doing quick checks.

PokerStogey

View attachment 338096
View attachment 338108

View attachment 338097
View attachment 338102
View attachment 338103

View attachment 338104
View attachment 338110

View attachment 338105
View attachment 338106
View attachment 338107

AB has been on our camping list for awhile now... looks like a pretty good spot for fall/winter camping and wheeling! Glad you guys had a good time.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Looks like you guys had a fun adventure...

I’ve noticed some of the cotter pins that come with these parts are too small... I keep some larger ones around which help secure the nut better. Also red paint marking the nuts really helps to attract your eye when doing quick checks.

Yep got the castle nut and the cotter pin but won’t have time to fix it between now and January . Maybe a trail fix on the NY run

AB has been on our camping list for awhile now... looks like a pretty good spot for fall/winter camping and wheeling! Glad you guys had a good time.

My first time and I definitely enjoyed it . Lots more to see . Id go back for more camping time .

jdofmemi

Black Friday Snow run

If anyone wants to skip the chaos of Black Friday, I'm doing a snow run tomorrow.
Leaving Yucca Valley around 10 and going to Big Bear, then whatever Holcomb Valley trails we can get to.

The plan once on the hill is fluid, depending on traffic and conditions on the ground.

I went today, it was great. Ran Gold Mountain, backwards, then came back to Yucca Valley.
Lodging in Big Bear is in short supply and high prices.

Here are some teaser pics from today

Attachments

• IMG_20191128_141941-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191128_141941-800x600.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 60
  • MVIMG_20191128_141204-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20191128_141204-800x600.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 60
  • MVIMG_20191128_145310-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20191128_145310-800x600.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20191128_135405-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191128_135405-800x600.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 59

fiend

Caught the Bug
If anyone wants to skip the chaos of Black Friday, I'm doing a snow run tomorrow.
Leaving Yucca Valley around 10 and going to Big Bear, then whatever Holcomb Valley trails we can get to.

The plan once on the hill is fluid, depending on traffic and conditions on the ground.

I went today, it was great. Ran Gold Mountain, backwards, then came back to Yucca Valley.
Lodging in Big Bear is in short supply and high prices.

Here are some teaser pics from today

Haha. Looks like wet cold fun. Wish I could go. Gonna be heading to SF for a Friday thanksgiving. Have fun!

Top Bottom