Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Ddays

Hooked
Something EXTREMELY important to remember when dealing with issues requiring you to take a vehicle in for repairs at a dealership:
if this is a recurring issue, you MUST use the same language when you give a description to the tech taking your car in. Make sure you keep every report they give you and refer back to in on subsequent trips back to the dealer. Use the same language if it's the same problem. And this is the most important part: make sure you read the report the tech gives you on these later visits to make sure that he wrote down exactly what you told him before you drop the vehicle off. If this is recurring issue they will try to change the wording and description so that if it comes down to a legal claim, they can say that based on the descriptions in the tech reports the issues are separate and not related. Make sure you tell the tech to change it to exactly what you tell him. They have to do that if you insist.

This is what I learned from a Lemon Law attorney when we had a 2003 Dodge minivan back to the dealership 14 times in one year :crazyeyes:

trailraider

This is what I learned from a Lemon Law attorney when we had a 2003 Dodge minivan back to the dealership 14 times in one year :crazyeyes:

Only 14 times? thats only and average of 1.17 times per month. seems rather acceptable to me, 3 of those times probably for oil changes, at least 2 time to just take in doughnuts to the service advisers and 4 times to look at new Jeeps.

see when you break it down, whats the issue? lol

Jk Jeep Geek

Our 18JLU was at the dealer for the 2nd attempt at the death wobble fix today. They installed a new track bar. So far so good🤞 I will say that they told my wife that “corporate” only allows them to order one track bar per week. Thought that was strange

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Recurve

Curious how this will play out in the future for the JL, especially when they start getting miles an seeing more abuse from offroading with bigger tires. The XJ steering box would literally rip off the mount after awhile, so you needed to buy reinforcement brackets.
Granted other wranglers didn’t have that problem , JK frame is pretty stout.
So even with a PSC box on a JL, will that stronger box start flexing the frame an inducing same problem down the road?

Hopefully it was the bushing in the track bar that’s the culprit , when I started reading this thread I was thinking bushings an how they contract an stretch with temperature change. Lucky guess on my end.

Eddie , I’m curious on your thoughts on the JLU frame?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Curious how this will play out in the future for the JL, especially when they start getting miles an seeing more abuse from offroading with bigger tires. The XJ steering box would literally rip off the mount after awhile, so you needed to buy reinforcement brackets.
Granted other wranglers didn’t have that problem , JK frame is pretty stout.
So even with a PSC box on a JL, will that stronger box start flexing the frame an inducing same problem down the road?

Hopefully it was the bushing in the track bar that’s the culprit , when I started reading this thread I was thinking bushings an how they contract an stretch with temperature change. Lucky guess on my end.

Eddie , I’m curious on your thoughts on the JLU frame?

What I can tell you is that just with the Synergy tie-rod, drag link and track bar installed, I have ZERO issues. No death wobble or wobble of any kind. Everything is nice and tight and even with the old OE steering stablizers - the one before the new update.

That being said, the video that doubletapdaddy posted looked legit and movement like that is concerning. Can't say for sure if it's the cause of his DW but it is something worth bracing up if only for the kind of breaks we used to see on XJ's and even CJ's back in the day.

JU not JLU death wobble?

This topic is about JLU death wobble. Are 2-door JL owners experiencing the death wobble as well?

I am interested since I have a 2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon model with the Mopar 2" lift and FOX 2.0 shocks. After just five months I have not added much mileage on this daily-driver and am worried that the death wobble will start once the warranty coverage is over. Of course at that point I will not feel at all hindered from replacing steering/suspension components (e.g. Synergy stuff looks really good) since there is no warranty to worry about.

With city driving I am pretty happy with the Mopar lift since it feels better than stock on the rough streets we have in Dallas.

Bob

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This topic is about JLU death wobble. Are 2-door JL owners experiencing the death wobble as well?

I am interested since I have a 2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon model with the Mopar 2" lift and FOX 2.0 shocks. After just five months I have not added much mileage on this daily-driver and am worried that the death wobble will start once the warranty coverage is over. Of course at that point I will not feel at all hindered from replacing steering/suspension components (e.g. Synergy stuff looks really good) since there is no warranty to worry about.

With city driving I am pretty happy with the Mopar lift since it feels better than stock on the rough streets we have in Dallas.

Bob

I doubt this is a JLU specific problem. More like, there are just so many more of them out there that the odds of seeing this problem on them is a lot higher.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The amount of flex at my steering box really is crazy. :crazyeyes: My steering box is an early build, and the dealer wants to replace it to see if it helps with the death wobble. Right now I'm waiting for the replacement steering box, a Synergy front TB brace and a Synergy front TB to replace a poorly fitting EVO front TB.

My first EVO front TB suffered premature frame side bushing failure. EVO MFG requested the track bar back and sent out a replacement. The new one arrived with too much angle at the head and does not fit in the frame side TB bracket properly. After sending pics to EVO, I spoke with Andrew. He suggested removing some of the weld bead on the TB and to bend/trim my frame side TB mount. He refused to send out a replacement. With the amount of JL front end issues occurring in addition to my own death wobble, I have no intention of trimming the OE TB bracket, therefore I'm going to give the Synergy TB a shot.

Here's a pic of my current EVO front TB.

20190831_185845.jpg

FCA put out a notice yesterday. there is a purge sequence the techs have to do now to bleed the air out of the steering dampers as follows

"Ensure the damper is in the correct orientation. With the vehicle on the ground, it is required to turn the steering wheel for five consecutive lock-to-lock turns at one rotation per second to prime the steering damper and to purge any trapped air.

Hahahah. Right..... because this procedure doesn’t happen every time you take a drive anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

With the electrical problems my JK has and what I read in this thread, it’s highly likely an older Jeep built into a trail rig only is in my near future

jeeeep

Hooked
Glad I read this entire thread.

I'm still 100% stock and dealt with more than normal wandering in my steering when in Utah and temps were in the 30s*. Going over RR tracks caused more of a bump steer but not DW - felt like my '10 JKU with bump steer before I did the flip kit. I did take the JL in for the SS recall before my trip so that may be what helped. Also, thought I was just being hyper-sensitive to it because the wandering in the steering has been pissing me off since day 1.

I cannot let go of the steering wheel at all on this JLU on any road at any speed. Last time at the dealer they blamed it on the tires. :doh:

It's not the tires - I have a 2015 running the exact same BFG KO2 and size so I swapped tires, drove both, no change in steering on either Jeep. The JK tracked straight, the JL tracked like it's got Peyronie's disease.

I'm scheduled to head back to Utah in January - coldest time of the year and this concerns me as my daughter will be with me and will be helping with the driving.

Reading this thread has provided good suggestions. I'm going to to check the steering box/frame flex on the JL and compare it my stock 2015 JK to get the closest apples to apples comparison. With both having the same size BFG KO2, the side to side turn forces should be similar.

Unfortunately it's going to be near 70* today but will post back findings.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
JK and not JL but my track bar bushings were totally shot after 20K miles . Bolts were torqued but there was almost 1.5 cm of play at the TB mount . Replaced bushings and DW disappeared .. for now

jeeeep

Hooked
Visually compared the steering boxes for the JK and JL where the steering shaft meets the steering box and they both appear to have the same amount of movement.

Maybe a dial indicator to see if there's flex in the frame?

Hey all, hope it’s ok to rez this thread, sorry if not.

I have a 2021 JLUR with a 2.5” lift and 37s and 8500 miles (3500 miles on the lift and tires). I went wheeling a couple weeks ago and dented up my stock steering stabilizer so I ordered the synergy relocation kit and the suggested Fox stabilizer (985-24-173) for the stock drag link. While waiting for the those to be delivered, my steering felt oddly normal with the slight wandering and no bump steer. After installing the new parts, I now have a shimmy in the steering wheel, a bit of bump steer, and it pulls to the left. I can feel the steering wheel move left/right at about 1/2” back n forth.

I’ve seen mention in this thread that 1) the stock stabilizer masks a bad electric steering pump and 2) Eddie mentioned that the Fox stabilizer wasn’t as good as the stock.

It’s a 2021 and with the black cast pump, not aluminum. The bushings all appear fine still which makes sense with the low miles. Could my pump be bad too? Or go back to the stock stabilizer?

Thank you!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, hope it’s ok to rez this thread, sorry if not.

I have a 2021 JLUR with a 2.5” lift and 37s and 8500 miles (3500 miles on the lift and tires). I went wheeling a couple weeks ago and dented up my stock steering stabilizer so I ordered the synergy relocation kit and the suggested Fox stabilizer (985-24-173) for the stock drag link. While waiting for the those to be delivered, my steering felt oddly normal with the slight wandering and no bump steer. After installing the new parts, I now have a shimmy in the steering wheel, a bit of bump steer, and it pulls to the left. I can feel the steering wheel move left/right at about 1/2” back n forth.

I’ve seen mention in this thread that 1) the stock stabilizer masks a bad electric steering pump and 2) Eddie mentioned that the Fox stabilizer wasn’t as good as the stock.

It’s a 2021 and with the black cast pump, not aluminum. The bushings all appear fine still which makes sense with the low miles. Could my pump be bad too? Or go back to the stock stabilizer?

Thank you!
It's a quick and easy thing to just reinstall the OE stabilizer to see if it makes a difference. To me, it did.

It's a quick and easy thing to just reinstall the OE stabilizer to see if it makes a difference. To me, it did.
Thanks, Eddie. I agree, putting the bad OE stabilizer back on would solve the shimmy in the steering wheel but I guess I’m concerned that I have a bigger problem and the stabilizer is just masking it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Eddie. I agree, putting the bad OE stabilizer back on would solve the shimmy in the steering wheel but I guess I’m concerned that I have a bigger problem and the stabilizer is just masking it.
Of course, that is a possibility but for now, I think it'd still be best to see if your OE stabilizer will mitigate what you're feeling.

Top Bottom