Deal or no deal?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I drive several JL’s at the shop but never really fell in love with the new platform, that is until I got my JT. If it wasn’t so good I wouldn’t be considering selling the JK. Also, if you plan on building it up for 37’s, don’t get a sport. The whole D35/D30 will only end up costing you more money down the road. Go Rubicon, weld a truss over the FAD, throw a 2” lift on it, and you’re good for 37’s.

I also don’t advocate putting a V8 in the JK just because it may seem “cheaper” than buying a JL. That’s like saying you saved $1,500 on Black Friday spending $3,000 on shit you didn’t need in the first place.

But if you do, call me[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Bubba. Sounds like solid advice. I’ll give you a call if the plan changes.

Would throwing in a 3.6 be an option? They aren't the perfect setup but I don't have any complaints about mine. A Rubi JL on 37s would be nice though!

Damn you, voice of reason. Why’d you have to show up? Right you are regarding the payments, they’re no fun and I am reluctant to get back into payments. My issue with the current Jeep is that we like to drive (sometimes long distances) to our wheeling destinations and with the high desert mountainous terrain the 3.8 really makes it unpleasant. If I trailered the Jeep, it wouldn’t be an issue, as it has adequate power on the trails but we don’t want to go that route for a number of other reasons.
So, I’m either going to drop $25k for a V8 in a 13 year old Jeep and then another $15k+ on axles to handle that V8 or get a lightly used JL (thinking Rubi now) put a two inch lift on it and run 37s. I think a good case could be made for either route but I am leaning towards the JL. May the good lord save me from the things I want, lol.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've got a modified 2010 JK on 37's and a stock 2018 JL .

Debating on dropping the funds to LS the 2010 since it has PR44 front, RH cage, PSC steering, lift etc... or removing and reusing what I can on the JL.

I enjoy driving the JL on long trips a lot more than the 3.8L JK.though the JK is still a lot of fun around town and the trails,

I put the 37's on the JL and surprisingly it drove really well but could tell a gear change would be in order.

Not real happy that upgraded beefy parts on the JL will still need to be replaced with aftermarket, makes the cost of the JL harder to justify but where else are you going to find something as much fun to modify and drive?

Napalm

I’d go for the JL, preferably a lightly used JLUR if you can afford it.

While a V8 JK sounds awesome, like everyone has been saying the new platform is just awesome. The new interior is fantastic and the creature comforts you get with the rubi are awesome!

Payments are never fun.. but you have to ask yourself if $25k - $35k on your Jk(for V8 and axles) is something you want to do, or just spend that money on something new.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I’d forego the V8 swap and keep the JK as a trail rig only (do you really need the V8 to crawl?) I’d put the funds into the JL to make it a mild/long trip off roader (re gear, PR44, coilovers, tire carrier).

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Unless you’re fairly sadistic, skip the V8 swap. If you are, add up what you think it will cost and add 25-50%. Oh and you’ll still have a laundry list of issues.

But they do sound sweet [emoji1]

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Unless you’re fairly sadistic, skip the V8 swap. If you are, add up what you think it will cost and add 25-50%. Oh and you’ll still have a laundry list of issues.

But they do sound sweet [emoji1]

:cheesy: oh man, that's funny right there.....oh wait...you weren't kidding. Hmmmm....got me leaning more and more towards the JLUR route. Good hear from someone who has personal experience with both platforms.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yep. I’ve said it before, and gave them another chance but the last 2 were noThing but trouble. The problem isn’t the LS itself, but the integration between Jeep and GM. A stand alone system is the only way to go.

It’s a real rabbit hole. Even when it is working right it really stresses a lot of the other components just based on lack of space.

Are they having the same issues with the Hemi swaps or because of similar platforms, they work better long term?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Exodus 4x4

Are they having the same issues with the Hemi swaps or because of similar platforms, they work better long term?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Hemi swaps work better because they speak the same CAN protocol. You literally just swap in a ECM for one built for the Hemi. The downside is the weight and size of the Hemi, which is what makes them run hotter. Great motor, just not ideal for the platform.

The other day a guy brought in a Brute with a Hemi for a Redneck Ram install. We couldn’t even remove the steering box due to the ac compressor being so close. We would have to relive the ac compressor or pick the entire engine up off the motor mounts to change it. A Big Bore would definitely be out of the question as well.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Hemi swaps work better because they speak the same CAN protocol. You literally just swap in a ECM for one built for the Hemi. The downside is the weight and size of the Hemi, which is what makes them run hotter. Great motor, just not ideal for the platform.

The other day a guy brought in a Brute with a Hemi for a Redneck Ram install. We couldn’t even remove the steering box due to the ac compressor being so close. We would have to relive the ac compressor or pick the entire engine up off the motor mounts to change it. A Big Bore would definitely be out of the question as well.

It’s not all pie in the sky for hemi swaps either as far as electronics go. They have significant issues as well.

And again, If you do get the power working right, it starts stressing a lot of other components you have to start looking at if you’re actually going to wheel it hard. As Bubba said, everything starts becoming one-off and the pile of cash burns bright.

If a 3.8l guy had access to a cheap 6.0ls and could do all the work himself and was willing to work through the issues and doesn’t expect a raptor beater in the desert, I could see it being “worth it”. Otherwise, it’s a pure “want”.

Top Bottom