The build/re-build of Gruff

Coop

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the 4Ds and wontons! I guess I’ll be the only guy on 37s with our group in Moab! I just won’t be able to count on everyone’s line! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ddays

Hooked
Congrats on the 4Ds and wontons! I guess I’ll be the only guy on 37s with our group in Moab! I just won’t be able to count on everyone’s line! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. LOL we'll all be following your line since you're the bigtime veteran ;)

Brute

Hooked
Thanks! Glad you posted up the thread on mounting your Trailready wheels.

Funny, I remember there was a lot of back and forth regarding the use of anti-sieze on the bolts in that thread. Mine included a sheet of paper in with each wheel in very large fonts saying you MUST use anti-sieze on the bolt threads.

Larry from Trailready told me they always use antisieze when installing the ring bolts...

Ddays

Hooked
Larry from Trailready told me they always use antisieze when installing the ring bolts...

I would have thought that it would be necessary being that you're dealing with dissimilar metals, but on Eddies install write-up he mentioned NOT using anti-sieze and there was an ensuing discussion. His wheels must not have come with those instruction sheets specifically saying you need to.

Posts #53 & #54
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/46456-Trail-Ready-Beadlock-Wheels-Installation-Write-Up/page6

Ddays

Hooked
Correct. We always use antisieze. There’s this concern that lubricant of any kind fucks with the torque but the same can be said for not using it, especially when there’s galling.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What lugnuts do you use on these axles Bubba? Other than the Gorilla brand, I don't see any other options out there in the 9/16-18 x 3" size.

fiend

Caught the Bug
If the threaded inserts are stainless steel then I’d think anti seize would be warranted. Not because of corrosion but because of galling, as Bubba notes.

Ddays

Hooked
No salt in PA?

I used to live in New England. Lots of salt there. [emoji17]

Well, no more driving Gruff in the salt I should say. We have plenty of that damn salt & brine. Now that I have the JL I get my Jeep fix everyday & can be choosy on how I I drive Gruff

I take a hiatus and Jerry gets wontons and 4D’s. Congrats man!

Hey stranger - thanks! Yep, been bending flanges ever since that trip to Rausch where I wagon wheeled that first one. :grayno:

Ddays

Hooked
Wheels are done being powder coated. Picked them up today. Not ashamed to admit I had the shop pop the tires onto the wheels. The combo isn't as heavy as I thought it would be. Doesn't feel much more than the 37 combo I have on the Jeep now. They are a helluva lot bigger though :crazyeyes:

4d.jpg

I was hesitant to put a clear powdercoat on but they came out great. I brought one in to trial fit a ring just because.
I put a ring on with the optional spacers and tightened the bolts hand tight. I may not need these but will wait to see once I start torquing
the bolts down. Honestly not missing the Chamber Pros as much as I thought I would. Curiously the picture of the irritated wife wouldn't load :idontknow:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

Top Bottom