Project '84 CJ-7

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Made a pretty good local score on some doors, a Dana 300 TC and spare tire carrier all for $230 all from the same seller. (Doors $150, Dana 300 $50!, and spare carrier $30). The doors were in really good condition, too clean to pass up on to be honest. They both need fixed vent windows and channels and one has a glass and no inner latch while the other has the opposite. I really want the correct doors for ‘84 though. I can flip the other doors if I ever find a set I can work with. I also scored a really nice hard top that’s primed for $200. Although I’m a ways off from needing doors and a top, they’re really hard to find iin this kind of condition and especially this cheap. I also gathered up some used parts off eBay. Steering column brackets that mount to the firewall and lower dash along with a brake pedal and some reinforcements for the spare tire carrier. All those odds and ends are being powder coated matte black. I’ll post pics when I get them back.

I hung the driver door just to see some “progress” but it’s way out of alignment, :D the lift gate frame is in pretty rough shape, not sure if I can salvage it. And I had the transfer case sandblasted as it had a bunch of layers of paint and rust but for $50 I couldn’t pass it up.

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (3).jpg

42EB91E1-0F76-41C0-8A6F-DC8ACBA75136.jpg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Great scores! I’ve lost out on a few NOS parts for my scrambler because I waited to long. Jump on them while you can!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Great scores! I’ve lost out on a few NOS parts for my scrambler because I waited to long. Jump on them while you can!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I find it really hard to believe what isn’t available in regards to doors and tops from Omix, Crown or other MFRs, given how many main body parts are plentiful. Especially given the popularity of the CJs

jdofmemi

Sounds like you scored for sure.

Have to jump on those kind of deals, whether the timing is right or not.

Always good to see forward progress.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Pickup up the miscellaneous parts from powder coat yesterday. Brake pedal assembly. Upper brake pedal bracket, some steering column brackets, transfer case shift linkage bracket. Nothing fancy just matte black to give all the items extended life. I’ll get the main transfer case components coated after disassembly. Also had the tire carrier blasted. It’s going to need a bit of work to patch some rot and reinforce it to carry a 35” tire.

49B3A3A9-6F4B-4773-87B4-0ED096BA91E5.jpeg

30D6F3DF-AD5A-4D68-91DC-464F9C06B030.jpeg

DAA1C6EE-EA7A-448B-AD99-9FD9A86F8F35.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I need to get my next batch over too.

I am having my fabricator build me a new carrier as well. Just an FYI, add some reinforcement to the top hinge mount. Over 35 years of carrying a 33, it deflected and cracked all the sheet metal in that area. We beefed up that section during the restoration. The other option is to run a 1/8” plate from top to bottom hinge before you mount hinges.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I also forgot to mention I installed a 35” tire on a 17” rim. I grabbed an American Racing Baja. I think it fits the era pretty well. I wanted the 17” Fuel Enduro but they have been discontinued. BS is 4.5” I wanted to get an idea of clearance and overall height. I’m pretty pleased with these.

2A768BEB-8E69-43DB-9EC1-A8451FBD45FF.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Brake pedal and steering column brackets installed temporarily no better place to keep them and keep track of the hardware.

E8D73196-A060-45DB-94FD-53FB369CD3D0.jpg

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Enjoy the process! I loved my 84’. Back in high school I had some good times mudding, cruising and picking up chicks with it! Lol

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Just read from beginning, cool project good to see you back at it.The 35s look great on the AR bajas.

Coming along nicely! I would have to agree the wheels look sharp on there. Good parts scores too. On the ball!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Enjoy the process! I loved my 84’. Back in high school I had some good times mudding, cruising and picking up chicks with it! Lol

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I’m very happy I’m able to make this project a priority again. I’m really enjoying the research on the “how-to’s” and the search for hard to find parts. It’s not going to happen overnight but it’s a lot of fun.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Ordered Hood, Fenders and Grille (all Omix-Ada), Dana 300 master rebuild kit and a bunch of related tools, lubes, and adhesives. I recently found a better set of doors that I picked up. They need some assembly but the shells are flawless and are from the right model year with the paddle style handles, all new weather seals and door panels were included. The only thing I’ll need for each door is the inside pull handles. I’m now going to sell the other door shells I purchased a couple months ago. I purchased a rebuilt steering column off of FB marketplace. As pictured in another thread I purchased the heater box and fresh air duct from a Jeep parts depot on EBay. I also have an initial order planned with Novak for engine mounts, transfer case adapter and transmission mounts. Currently trying to decide if I want to do the conversion for my drivetrain harness or send it in. The computer has to be sent in to be flashed either way.

A lot of these items will be here this week.

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Ordered Hood, Fenders and Grille (all Omix-Ada), Dana 300 master rebuild kit and a bunch of related tools, lubes, and adhesives. I recently found a better set of doors that I picked up. They need some assembly but the shells are flawless and are from the right model year with the paddle style handles, all new weather seals and door panels were included. The only thing I’ll need for each door is the inside pull handles. I’m now going to sell the other door shells I purchased a couple months ago. I purchased a rebuilt steering column off of FB marketplace. As pictured in another thread I purchased the heater box and fresh air duct from a Jeep parts depot on EBay. I also have an initial order planned with Novak for engine mounts, transfer case adapter and transmission mounts. Currently trying to decide if I want to do the conversion for my drivetrain harness or send it in. The computer has to be sent in to be flashed either way.

A lot of these items will be here this week.

Nice booty! Can’t wait for the progress update!

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Ok so having grown pretty tired of this vehicle hardly resembling a Jeep, I put the red body mounts in pictured way back when I got this frame and set the body back down and tried to get things lined up. I tried to mock up the left fender and grille but kinda failed. I think I need taller body mounts as the fender doesn’t pull in at the bottom and has placed some tension on the bottom of the grille resulting in some pretty severe misalignment. I ordered a 1” Daystar body lift in hopes that it will correct some of these issues. I also anticipate maybe having to shave the bushing from the new kit for under the grille. As stated, this is actually a YJ tub converted to a CJ7. I’ll need to find a way to install washers and nuts for the mounts at the rear corners as there aren’t even holes present. I’m still waiting on the right fender to arrive so I can’t even mount the hood.

CB2D2A87-D22F-4F37-9B09-8B889AEDFA9A.jpg

B2C8A2D6-6D13-46F6-80F7-382991A82262.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom