East Meets West: Moab and Ouray August 1-9, 2020

jdofmemi

Do none of the studs have knurling at all?
No, they thread in.

Missing a wheel? [emoji41]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
🤔

Better use some loctite! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

For sure

My first experience with screw in studs. Not sure how they backed out, but it happened while driving down the highway.

I heard a clicking, and found the passenger rear wheel causing it. Lug nuts were barely loose, but not tight.
One was galled and didn't want to come off. When I forced it, it peeled the threads.
The loosest one was hitting the park brake adjuster, and causing it to grab.

I was able to tighten all the studs into the flange and get 4 nuts on. That should get me home without another story.

New studs and picture are in order.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
What's wrong with this picture?
IMG_1183.jpg
I had the same thing happen just before Moab. Mine backed out when I was putting the wheels back on and was hitting the parking brake assembly and actually stopped the Jeep when I was backing out of the shop.

dillard09

No, they thread in.

🤔

For sure

My first experience with screw in studs. Not sure how they backed out, but it happened while driving down the highway.

I heard a clicking, and found the passenger rear wheel causing it. Lug nuts were barely loose, but not tight.
One was galled and didn't want to come off. When I forced it, it peeled the threads.
The loosest one was hitting the park brake adjuster, and causing it to grab.

I was able to tighten all the studs into the flange and get 4 nuts on. That should get me home without another story.

New studs and picture are in order.

Man you have had some luck here lately. Glad you caught before it got worse. What shafts are those?

Slimebones

View attachment 351879
I had the same thing happen just before Moab. Mine backed out when I was putting the wheels back on and was hitting the parking brake assembly and actually stopped the Jeep when I was backing out of the shop.

This is one of only a few places I use red loctite. My Evolution shafts came with this set up. And make sure the threads are in really good shape. Use a thread die to clean them up so the lug nuts will spin on by hand without a wrench. Red loctite at the flange only.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Lol, next time I go to Colorado I'm wearing one of these t-shirts

View attachment 351834

Hell you don't have to leave PA to get a contact high. Had to spend 2 weeks quarantine at Airport Embassy Suites in Philly before I was able to fly back to work, and that Hotel smelled like Lollapalooza and Coachella all balled into one. Hell they were smoking it everywhere stairwells, rooms parking lot out a Hooka. We were told there will be no random piss tests when got back into Afghanistan. :cheesy:

jdofmemi

This is one of only a few places I use red loctite. My Evolution shafts came with this set up. And make sure the threads are in really good shape. Use a thread die to clean them up so the lug nuts will spin on by hand without a wrench. Red loctite at the flange only.

That's my plan once I get home, with new studs

Man you have had some luck here lately. Glad you caught before it got worse. What shafts are those?

After some of my past experiences, I don't ignore any new noise. I heard a clicking start at about 65 on the highway. Made an immediate stop to check it out. Took a bit to find it. Then while taking the wheel off one but jammed up.
Shafts came with the Fusion axles, not sure what brand they are, or maybe Bill mentioned it and I can't remember. Maybe he will chime in.

View attachment 351884

That looks seriously dangerous

After further inspection on my WJ it actually did split the main shaft in two. Sheared the end of the shaft clean off. Crazy

View attachment 351885

It could have gotten bad quickly.

Your shaft is an odd break for one that big. What do you think caused it?

jdofmemi

View attachment 351879

It's always something isn't it.

I didn't realize the studs were threaded, or I would have paid more attention to them in the beginning.

What I'm curious about is how it made the whole trip, over 3,000 miles since I left home, then started hitting the brake while driving down the highway at 65-70.

J&k_Overland

Your shaft is an odd break for one that big. What do you think caused it?

Yeah no real idea. Best guess impurity in the metal and with the 242 shafts being drilled and tapped instead of threaded on the end it let go at the most convenient time as place 🤪.

wjtstudios

Hooked
My last two badges arrived today.

IMG_4504.jpg

Wish I had a few more coming from Colorado [emoji25]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Do we have one consolidated location for pictures and videos yet? I’ve seen a few different links floated.

Top Bottom