Building 4 link DIY

JK_0311

I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t like searching for that picture on the internet and I deleted it after posting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I’m sure its fine on the uppers and would be super easy to replace on a trail, but I would rather have a better setup. This has nothing to do with spending more money. I wouldn’t want that type of joint on my control arms, I don’t care how beefy they are.

Rst8rox

I’m sure its fine on the uppers and would be super easy to replace on a trail, but I would rather have a better setup. This has nothing to do with spending more money. I wouldn’t want that type of joint on my control arms, I don’t care how beefy they are.

[emoji1375]this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rst8rox

Said no one ever,, lol Alot of hard core crawlers running 1 tons and rockwells. For over 20yrs. Have been doing it. Sorry its not a bought my overpriced parts that I can bolt on. Before JKs were around many guys actually built hardcore rigs and didnt have a massive aftermarket support. These ends have been tested and proven since the late 90s. Johns 4x4 and More, WMS, John Sumner and these guys know how to build big badass rigs.

Ever hear of the Big Meat run at Disney, Ok. What some videos. The olders ones if you can find them.

I’ve seen many of “hard core” rigs over the last 30 years, yet I’ve never seen this. I must live under rocks 🤷 idk. I know all about Disney & have seen a few of the videos on the Big Meat Run. As far as the others you have mentioned they must be hometown hero’s. I’ve never heard of them. But then again I’ve never used TREs as rod ends either.

You keep doing you, & I’ll pack a few extra heims in case we cross paths. I give them to you.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm still genuinely curious as to what the perceived benefit is with running these TRE's instead of heims, JJ's, etc. More flex, availability, simply cost?

I'm still genuinely curious as to what the perceived benefit is with running these TRE's instead of heims, JJ's, etc. More flex, availability, simply cost?

Yea I’m still curious at this point. OP are you running them on the lowers as well? I can’t tell from the picture.

Edit: nevermind, I spotted the little devil right meh. This guys going full monte...

IMG_2341.JPG

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yea I’m still curious at this point. OP are you running them on the lowers as well? I can’t tell from the picture.

Edit: nevermind, I spotted the little devil right meh. This guys going full monte...

View attachment 357792

Something like this seems unusual and is for that reason suspect. But the proof is in the pudding. If this fellow and his friends have been using them without issue, then who are we to criticize. Anyway, from the photo, this is some kind of triangulated four link. A failure of one joint won’t be catastrophic, and should be easy to repair on the trail by swapping in a new joint. I’d be interested to see the stats on the TREs they are using. Generally speaking TREs have to handle a lot of stress, so I’m not surprised they could work for suspension joints.

Rst8rox

Something like this seems unusual and is for that reason suspect. But the proof is in the pudding. If this fellow and his friends have been using them without issue, then who are we to criticize. Anyway, from the photo, this is some kind of triangulated four link. A failure of one joint won’t be catastrophic, and should be easy to repair on the trail by swapping in a new joint. I’d be interested to see the stats on the TREs they are using. Generally speaking TREs have to handle a lot of stress, so I’m not surprised they could work for suspension joints.

Most I’ve found are rated at 80-95,000lbs. A cheap 1.25” rod end is rated at 76,000lbs and goes up from there. Both stated can be had for under 40$.
Let’s not forget that TREs are also single sheer. Where a rod end/JJ are double sheer.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Most I’ve found are rated at 80-95,000lbs. A cheap 1.25” rod end is rated at 76,000lbs and goes up from there. Both stated can be had for under 40$.
Let’s not forget that TREs are also single sheer. Where a rod end/JJ are double sheer.

A rod end/heim joint is double shear, true. But that doesn’t necessarily make it stronger. The question is how the shear strength of the bolt securing the rod end compares to the strength of the TRE. I don’t have data on that, but wouldn’t assume that the former is stronger than the latter.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm not necessarily saying these guys are wrong, just curious how this came about in the first place when there are purpose made parts for control arms. BUT, if this was a great idea I would think the lift companies would be supplying their kits with arms that have cheaper TRE's on them rather than more expensive JJ's, Heim ends, and the like. Are these TRE's strong? Yes, I don't think anyone disagrees. Are they a good idea to be used on the ends of control arms? Still looks sketchy to me.

Edit: My question is why use these, not can you.

Last edited:

Rst8rox

I'm not necessarily saying these guys are wrong, just curious how this came about in the first place when there are purpose made parts for control arms. BUT, if this was a great idea I would think the lift companies would be supplying their kits with arms that have cheaper TRE's on them rather than more expensive JJ's, Heim ends, and the like. Are these TRE's strong? Yes, I don't think anyone disagrees. Are they a good idea to be used on the ends of control arms? Still looks sketchy to me.

This is my same stance!

It clearly can be done. I just don’t believe that it’s one of the “Right” ways to use a TRE Strength wise or to build a control arm.

Like was said prior, I dig the out of the box thinking. I just ? The approach

Please some engineer speak up and teach us all[emoji120]

Elroy231

" necessity is the mother of invention"

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom