Oscar's No Build Thread

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Work continued on my DIY Grill Inserts. The anchors have the best double sided tape I've ever seen! I probably could have just used the tape, but I know in the end it will never hold up to Wisconsin winters so started the tedious task of scrapping it off. After doing a couple with a putty knife, I started looking for a better solution. I need some heat and quickly realized that my heat gun is at work so into the pot of boiling water they go:

IMG_4086.jpg

Once the adhesive softens, they scrape off pretty easy:

IMG_4087.jpg

Soak in a little solvent to get the leftover adhesive:

IMG_4089.jpg

Dry and wipe with alcohol:

IMG_4090.jpg

I had to make the anchors that go between the openings narrower by an 1/8" to fit, wiped down the grill with alcohol and epoxied all of them:

IMG_4092.jpg

The glue says that it sets in five minutes and they ain't kidding! I let the glue dry for a few hours and mounted the screens with zip ties:

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

End result:

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4100.JPG

I'm pretty happy with how that turned out!

Next up DIY wall mounted door storage.

IMG_4103.jpg

Really $260 to hang my 4 doors? Don't think so!

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Nice! I went through the same process. Cleaning those tie downs is a PAIN. I also ended up boiling mine. Result looks good though 👍

Curious to see what you do for door storage. At least one other guy on here has done a DIY version of the Quadratec hangers. If I owned my garage, I'd like to.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Started working on DIY door storage so I never have to do this again:

IMG_4114.jpg

As mentioned previously in this thread, I want to hang my doors on the wall instead of piling them on the floor, but I'm not about to spend $260 on pre-made door hangers. Here's a shot of the available space:

IMG_4116.jpg

I started with some 7/8" x 7/8" steel and a rod of 3/4" Dia. Delrin:

IMG_4118.jpg

The steel was sawed to 4pcs, 7 1/2" long:

IMG_4119.jpg

Then layout of mounting and hinge pin bushing holes:

IMG_4120.jpg

Each bar had (2) 3/8" Dia. mounting holes drilled & (2) 5/8" Dia. drilled & reamed bushing holes:

IMG_4121.jpg

A little time was spent adding a couple of radii to the ends at the drum sander.

After that the focus was shifted to the bushings at the engine lathe:

IMG_4122.jpg

After turning up 4 of 8pcs, I pressed them into the bars:

IMG_4123.jpg

I still need to make 4 more bushings, but the shop was being closed for the day so a stop was made at Home Depot for lumber and lag bolts. The 2x4's were cut, nailed and bolted. Then I mounted the 2 finished bars:

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

Couple of problems, the first is that I drilled the bushings to 27/64" Dia. and the door pins don't fit [emoji35]. I will have to rework the bushing bores to 7/16" Dia. The second is that I was planning on having the doors mounted so the painted side is to the wall. Lifting the doors from the interior side is really awkward and I'm afraid of scratching the paint so I think that I will space the bars out another 3" with a couple of more studs and longer lag bolts. That will allow the doors to be hung as per usual. More to come....

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
More work on the door hangers today. Started with reworking the 4 bushings that were already made by re-drilling to 7/16" diameter:

IMG_4132.JPG

Then made the rest of the bushings:

IMG_4133.jpg

And pressed them into the bars:

IMG_4134.jpg

I remounted the bars and test fit the doors again, paint side to the wall. Sucks! It's really awkward and you have to pull the door off the Jeep, set it down and grab it from the interior side:

IMG_4139.jpg

Since I'm not real happy with the results, I tore it apart and added 3" of wood, longer lag bolts to hold it all together and test fit with the paint side out:

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4149.jpg

Definitely easier to get the doors mounted! Seems sturdy, but I might beef up the wall stud a little more just for piece of mind. I need to work on the second set and plasti-dip the bars to protect my door paint! I'll post up more pictures when it's all done.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Finished the door hangers today. I started with re-enforcing the wall studs:

IMG_4154.jpg

Then added a fourth 2x4 to the stand-offs making them 6" out from the wall:

IMG_4156.jpg

Painted the hangers with red plasi-dip to help protect my door paint, make them more visible and mounted them to the stand-offs while making them perfectly level:

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Final fitting:

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

Shot down the wall:

IMG_4168.jpg

Now I just need some nice weather:

IMG_4171.jpg

I'm really happy with the end result of this project! I spent $35 for lumber, hardware and paint. I realize that most don't have access to the materials and equipment that I have, but this could be done with some steel from McMaster Carr, Delrin Liners from Quadratec for less than $100. That still leaves $160 in your pocket or for something more fun! [emoji41]

GraniteCrystal

Great job! Thanks for making notes of measurements. I'd like to make a version of this from a vastly smaller set of available tools sometime. Sounds like you have great access to a shop.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Great job! Thanks for making notes of measurements. I'd like to make a version of this from a vastly smaller set of available tools sometime. Sounds like you have great access to a shop.

Thanks man! Here's a couple of tips:

- Commit to hanging the doors paint side out. To hang the doors paint side in, you have to lift the doors off the Jeep, set them down and lift them from the interior side to hang them. It's really awkward and your paint will take a beating!

- Re-enforce your wall studs. Most studs have only 4 nails holding them in place, 2 at the top & 2 at the bottom. The last thing you want is to come home and find that the stud ripped out of the wall and your doors are on the floor!

- Make sure that the stand-offs are plumb and hangers level. If you do a good job, the natural weighting of the doors will hold them to the wall instead of pivoting (drifting) on their own.

- The hinge pin holes must be aligned from the top hanger to the bottom hanger. I carefully laid mine out with a digital height gage. Another good method would be to clamp two hanger bars together and drill/ream through both at the same time. When mounting the hangers to the stand-offs make sure that the left/right alignment is good between upper and lower hangers.

Ok - that was a lot especially since your still shopping for your new garage! [emoji38]

GraniteCrystal

Thanks man! Here's a couple of tips:

- Commit to hanging the doors paint side out. To hang the doors paint side in, you have to lift the doors off the Jeep, set them down and lift them from the interior side to hang them. It's really awkward and your paint will take a beating!

- Re-enforce your wall studs. Most studs have only 4 nails holding them in place, 2 at the top & 2 at the bottom. The last thing you want is to come home and find that the stud ripped out of the wall and your doors are on the floor!

- Make sure that the stand-offs are plumb and hangers level. If you do a good job, the natural weighting of the doors will hold them to the wall instead of pivoting (drifting) on their own.

- The hinge pin holes must be aligned from the top hanger to the bottom hanger. I carefully laid mine out with a digital height gage. Another good method would be to clamp two hanger bars together and drill/ream through both at the same time. When mounting the hangers to the stand-offs make sure that the left/right alignment is good between upper and lower hangers.

Ok - that was a lot especially since your still shopping for your new garage! [emoji38]
Just what I'm looking for though! Thanks!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
DIY Grab Handles.

Like many, I can't see spending $100 plus on a set of grab handles and buying a set of knockoffs doesn't excite me. I had been thinking about making a set for some time now.

I started with finding a few short lengths of 3/4" EMT conduit that was left over from the last machine install:

IMG_4205.jpg

I made a few prototypes before settling on the final shape and design. You can read more about that here:

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=873825

I ended up using a 1/2" hand bender to bend my 3/4" conduit to achieve a tighter radius and give me the shape that I desired. The best way I found to do this is to do a floor bend:

IMG_4245.JPG

Slow is the key to prevent kinking! I ended up making my first bend more than 45, but less than 60 degrees. The second bend was spaced 5" and made to more than 30, but less than 45 degrees.

IMG_4246.jpg

And trimmed at the band saw:

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

I used a hydraulic press to flatten the ends (a vise would be effective to complete this task):

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

Drilled a 11/32" diameter hole to let a 5/16" bolt pass thru for connecting to the "A" pillar:

IMG_4262.jpg

And used a vise to bend the roll bar tab:

IMG_4263.jpg

Finished handle:

IMG_4264.jpg

In the Jeep, remove the "A" pillar trim. Remove the harness from the circled pink hole, cut the anchor from the harness and drill the hole open to 11/32" diameter. Tap the orange circled hole to 5/16-18:

IMG_4242.jpg

Cut a slot into the roll bar padding with a razor blade to let the grab bar tab thru:

IMG_4271.jpg

Carefully mark and cut the plastic trim to allow clearance for the grabs. I used a band saw and a small abrasive tool:

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

You can toss these:

IMG_4304.jpg

Mount the grab. I use a 5/16-18x3/4 button head bolt and nut on the "A" pillar. I was able to get an open end wrench thru the marked slot with a nut taped to the wrench:

IMG_4282.jpg

Attach the top tab to the roll bar with a hose clamp:

IMG_4271.jpg

Mount the trim (can be a bitch) and add a 5/16-18x1/2 button head screw as shown:

IMG_4302.jpg

I decided to do a fish scale paracord wrap which used two 18' cords per grab. Youtube was handy to learn this skill:

https://youtu.be/mKlSPgJolo4

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
DIY Grab Handles - Final Results:

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

I ended up buying 2 hose clamps for a $1.50 each plus 4, 18' paracords for $2.00 each for a total of $11. I spent about 12 hours including the R&D and paracord work. I'm thrilled with the results and recommend this project to anyone that is handy!

Napalm

DIY Grab Handles - Final Results:

View attachment 252488

View attachment 252489

View attachment 252490

View attachment 252491

View attachment 252492

View attachment 252493

View attachment 252494

View attachment 252495

I ended up buying 2 hose clamps for a $1.50 each plus 4, 18' paracords for $2.00 each for a total of $11. I spent about 12 hours including the R&D and paracord work. I'm thrilled with the results and recommend this project to anyone that is handy!

Nice Man! Those look awesome. Very cool DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Yes sir. I'd love some grab handles similar to this. I love the RH4X4 ones that come with the cage, but won't be getting on for quite some time!

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well, you should give this a shot then! The only special equipment you really need is the pipe bender that you can rent for a few bucks.

Top Bottom