Watcha cookin'?

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yes, I bumped the temps due to time constraints, and getting a late start. I tossed them in at 225, but the temp was on the rise. It stabilized around 350, which I ran it at for a couple hours, dropped it to 225/250 till the little guys were done, about another 4 hrs, then when I pulled them, tossed a few more logs on and cranked it back up to 350, the big boy finished just after we had completed dinner and presents for my mom's bday, about 2 hrs later.

Definitely not how I would normally do it had I had more time, but it worked. In all honesty the meat from both the small guys and the big boy was very tender and moist. I think the big thing if you are doing hot and 'fast' is to make sure there is a few hours at lower temps to make sure all the fat etc can render without the meat just coming to temp with all the connective tissue being tough. Still lots of smoke flavor, which was probably assisted by the oak which has a pretty strong flavor as far as woods go.
Forgot to add that my smoker also has a design where I can add water to above the fire box (steel plate the flames hit directly), and it will steam a lot. So added some water (probably 2 or 3 cups) a couple times just to make sure things dry out. Definitely don't finish with any steam or the bark will go to crap.

Brute

Hooked
View attachment 288573

Just lamb chops with smoked sea salt and pepper about to be placed on a hot cast iron skillet.
[emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Now we're talking...

William Sonoma sells a jar of veal Demi-glacé...I use a cup of Madeira wine, a couple sprigs of thyme, and a tablespoon of minced shallot...bring to a boil, then reduce to half; take a tablespoon of the Demi-glacé, whisk it into a cup of hot water and add to saucepan...simmer until reduced by half again. After you dear thelamb chops and remove from pan, strain your sauce into sauté pan and deglaze...pour this in your chops...

This will also work in seared tenderloins or thick pork chops...

Andy5160

Hooked
Damn!!!! Ok now I have to get to WS and as we know you never leave that store just with what you came for. Thank you for the recipe[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Tried some cod fish and chips in the new air fryer. Flavor was great but fried crust didn't come out right. Trying another recipe next time.

IMG_20180106_130242_625.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I have tried the air fryer a few times and can’t get it right. Any tips?

Going to try some gluten free chicken tortilla soup for tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We did coconut chicken and regular chicken strips and it came out OK but not really a golden brown color. I just looked at about 10 recipes online for fried fish with an air fryer and every one said to spray the food with oil before and halfway through cooking to get the crispy color and texture. I'm going to try that next time. The instructions that came with the unit said several times not to use oil. Online experience appears to be different.

WJCO

Meme King
Just tried making sushi for the first time. Flavor was good, but the art and presentation needs some work.

IMG_20180112_211521_401.jpg

IMG_20180112_211616_155.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Need more rice across the nori. It necessarily more overall, just spread out. Just a little flap at the end to seal the roll.

WTF Adam-san!! Is there anything you don't know how to cook or make in the kitchen. You must be part slanty-eyed :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Need more rice across the nori. It necessarily more overall, just spread out. Just a little flap at the end to seal the roll.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the tip. We'll try again soon. My first attempt had more but it wouldn't seal at all. Didn't seem to stay tight :idontknow: But then again, I wasn't using a rolling mat.

Top Bottom