What was done to your rig this week?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Trip to SMORR was rough on Stitch. A few solid connects here and there with rocky river beds and the like, but only one that was 'alarming.' Spent the Summer working the way through the repair list. Put on new sliders just before the trip. Since then, it's been new armor, evap relocation, trailer wiring repair, exhaust repair, steering stabilizers (1st replacement failed after 2 months), and lower front control arms.

A lot of things could have been left alone. Aside from the armor that had been bent so it touched the exhaust and resonated at 3500 RPM, it drove home just fine. But let that sort of stuff accumulate and then you're driving a beater in a couple years. Stitch is now better than 100%.

My favorite replacement update was replacing stock lower with the Metalcloak lowers. Larger better bushings made a definitive improvement in ride quality. Impact with sharp-edged pavement imperfections is noticeably muted. If I'd known how big a difference just doing that would've made, I've have replaced them long time ago.

The Currie tie-rod could've been left in place, as noted, but it was noticeably bent. So, this week, the last item in the list, was another Currie tie-rod. Expensive trip, over $3600 in parts.

A side note, very unimpressed with Currie's shipping. The tie-rod had worn holes in the box; zerk fittings both had to be replaced (one clearly had drug along the pavement awhile); and, surface finish had been chafed in a couple areas. The hardware bag had a gaping hole in it. And, one of the large ball joint nuts had come off. Surprised the large nut hadn't disappeared out one of the holes, along with half the hardware in the bag that went missing. Definitely not Metalcloak-grade packaging. That, is for certain.

schnauzer

That’s pretty slick.

Thanks, 3 of the 4 bolts lined up for the rear seat, had to make a new hole for the 4th bolt. Ordered a 2x2 inch square washer, a m12x1.75 nut and reused one of the factory bolts.

It was kind of a bummer that I couldn’t use all the factory mounts, but the one hole I did drill went through the same double metal as the factory mounts so it’s very solid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Decided that I really didn’t like my wheels over the weekend. I’ll have to get a picture tomorrow. I was climbing up a 2ish foot ledge that decided to crack a wheel

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom