New M416 project

74CJ5

Houston, we have a problem.

So, I was hoping to do the spring over axle swap and throw on some 35’s today. I bought spacers since the axle/hub is an older Jeep bolt pattern than the wheels I have to put on it. Well the hub is thicker than the spacer will allow for so now what? Trying to go the least expensive route on my solution. IMG_5685.jpg IMG_5683.jpg IMG_5684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Houston, we have a problem.

So, I was hoping to do the spring over axle swap and throw on some 35’s today. I bought spacers since the axle/hub is an older Jeep bolt pattern than the wheels I have to put on it. Well the hub is thicker than the spacer will allow for so now what? Trying to go the least expensive route on my solution. View attachment 337401 View attachment 337402 View attachment 337403

What exactly do you mean by the hub is thicker than the spacer will allow? The wheel studs aren’t long enough? Sorry, just trying to understand the problem.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
See how the spacer is beveled for lack of a better word? As it necks down it becomes to skinny to sit flush. The threads don’t even peak through.

So the bore is not big enough correct? The two options I see are to find spacers with a bore that fits or take the ones you have down to a machine shop and have them bored out. Should be super cheap to have a shop do it. There is almost no setup to do that work.

Did you not measure the needed center bore before ordering?

Gonna have to machine them. Either on a lathe or take a rotary cut tool to them and try not to gouge too much.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

74CJ5

Tires and wheels are on. Still have a few things to do to it, but for the most part it’s done. Need to wire up the Jeep with a new harness to plug the lights in direct and I will add a tailgate as well.
IMG_6168.jpg IMG_6169.jpg IMG_6163.jpg

dustinfromohio

Looks great! Any concerns that the loaded weight of the rack will put too much stress on the body? I read a couple of guys with T3s bending their beds out of square while off-roading after installing RTTs.

74CJ5

Looks great! Any concerns that the loaded weight of the rack will put too much stress on the body? I read a couple of guys with T3s bending their beds out of square while off-roading after installing RTTs.

I don’t think so. I’m probably not putting an RTT on there any time soon. I talked with the guy that makes the supports from www.compactcampingstore.com. He said if it was a big RTT that I could throw a third set on there but it should be fine. His website has a ton of photos of other set ups. I don’t think I will have a ton of weight in/on it anyhow. Maybe throw two kayak racks on it and thinking of welding a hitch on the back so I can throw my mountain bikes on there as well.

dustinfromohio

The more I look at the way your rack is set up, the more I like it. Originally I wanted to build a lid for mine with a rack on it for added security but I think it might hinder oversized items like coolers, tree stands, etc. How did you end up solving your spacer problem?

74CJ5

The more I look at the way your rack is set up, the more I like it. Originally I wanted to build a lid for mine with a rack on it for added security but I think it might hinder oversized items like coolers, tree stands, etc. How did you end up solving your spacer problem?

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. As far as the spacers were concerned I returned them and got a pair from a local manufacturer that worked great.

So the rack comes off quickly and easily so I decided to do another set-up as well. This one is purely based on the ability to take 2 mountain bikes and 2 kayaks. Rest of the gear would be stored underneath. Probably going to make a cargo net the size of the tub to make sure nothing flies out at highway speeds. Here are a few shots of it loaded up when I was test fitting all the racks. IMG_7712.jpg IMG_7705.jpg IMG_7715.jpg

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. As far as the spacers were concerned I returned them and got a pair from a local manufacturer that worked great.

So the rack comes off quickly and easily so I decided to do another set-up as well. This one is purely based on the ability to take 2 mountain bikes and 2 kayaks. Rest of the gear would be stored underneath. Probably going to make a cargo net the size of the tub to make sure nothing flies out at highway speeds. Here are a few shots of it loaded up when I was test fitting all the racks. View attachment 347621 View attachment 347622 View attachment 347623

That is such an awesome setup!

I had a dream of doing a build like that a few years ago and ended up with with a tractor supply 4x6 utility trailer. Those things are hard to find and pricey.

Last edited:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Awesome trailer!! Perfect for a weekend camping trip. As well as having the space to haul all the activities. [emoji106]

Brute

Hooked

So the rack comes off quickly and easily so I decided to do another set-up as well. This one is purely based on the ability to take 2 mountain bikes and 2 kayaks. Rest of the gear would be stored underneath. Probably going to make a cargo net the size of the tub to make sure nothing flies out at highway speeds. Here are a few shots of it loaded up when I was test fitting all the racks. View attachment 347621 View attachment 347622 View attachment 347623

Nice set up...have you considered having a soft tonneau made to keep road grime, bugs & rain out of the tub?

Top Bottom