Broken tie rod

ClaytonW_CZ

spojovacka.jpg
spojovacka2.jpg

I am new here and I would be happy if you could give me your opinion about this issue:
This happened to me today. This is a tie rod which was recommended and mounted by Hendricks 4x4 service in Gardnerville, NV 3.5 years ago. I think that they did it terribly wrong. I could kill myself or anyone else. Fortunately, it this happened at a slow speed in a desert quite close to my home.
BTW, could anyone recommend any good 4x4 service near Carson City, NV?

Attachments

• spojovacka2.jpg
    spojovacka2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 175

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Look at the pictures. In my opinion, it's definitely the shop's fault. I am not an expert but I think that they simply ordered too short tie rod and could not mount it correctly so they used a welder (and it was welded really bad).

That may be the case but it was 3.5 years ago! That is your fault for not EVER checking your jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Look at the pictures. In my opinion, it's definitely the shop's fault. I am not an expert but I think that they simply ordered too short tie rod and could not mount it correctly so they used a welder (and it was welded really bad).

I agree the weld looks poor. My wild ass guess would be that they probably won't warrantee it 3.5 years later, but the worst answer you'll get is "no".

ClaytonW_CZ

Periodic maintenance checks need to be done on these vehicles quite often to try to avoid these type of issues.

Periodics checks were done. Not only by myself after almost each trip but also quite often by the same shop which mounted it :) But I worry that this is the type of problem which cannot be found - the weld looks good until it breaks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree the weld looks poor. My wild ass guess would be that they probably won't warrantee it 3.5 years later, but the worst answer you'll get is "no".

Agreed. Might as well talk to the shop and see if they can help you. The most they can say is "no".

As far as other shops go in Carson City, I've had driveline work done by Jigsaw over on Hot Springs Rd. and know they do other automotive work as well. Perhaps they can help out. I know Trail Bud likes to use the Napa service center on Oak St. and he's been happy with them.

srbell0585

Even if they warrantied it out, I wouldn't feel safe running that same tie rod. There are to many choices out there to risk such a vital component like your steering.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. Sucky either way. Buy a new Crown assy for 100 bucks or upgrade to an HD Currie one.

ClaytonW_CZ

Thanks to you all for your opinions and recommendations.
I agree, HD Currie is probably the best solution.

Btw, I just spoke to my friend, an experienced owner of 4x4 shop in the Czech Republic (where I am originally from), who built trucks for my offroad racing (many years ago) and he told me that anyone who welds on a tie rod should be immediately executed :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks to you all for your opinions and recommendations.
I agree, HD Currie is probably the best solution.

Btw, I just spoke to my friend, an experienced owner of 4x4 shop in the Czech Republic (where I am originally from), who built trucks for my offroad racing (many years ago) and he told me that anyone who welds on a tie rod should be immediately executed :)

Lol You used to race professional and you can't even check your tie rod? :thinking:

ClaytonW_CZ

Lol You used to race professional and you can't even check your tie rod? :thinking:

I am a software developer, not a Jeep mechanic... But after offroading for almost 25 years I am able to find most problems. But how can you recognize a weld which can brake soon? O.K., maybe I could use X-Ray, but I do not have one available for my Jeep inspections :)
But I would be happy if you could explain to me how I can predict which welds may crack soon.

Eezybreezy08

Just see what the shop says. They will probably say no especially after 3.5 years. And go ahead and get you a new tie rod. I have to get a new tie rod myself cause I bent mine. I'm thinking about trying the ruff stuff tie rod but I'm a little conferenced about it since I haven't heard much about them on this forum. I just can't afford the Currie $700 one myself

silverbullet88

Just see what the shop says. They will probably say no especially after 3.5 years. And go ahead and get you a new tie rod. I have to get a new tie rod myself cause I bent mine. I'm thinking about trying the ruff stuff tie rod but I'm a little conferenced about it since I haven't heard much about them on this forum. I just can't afford the Currie $700 one myself

Well I know that one of the Currie tie rods is around $350 and another super beefy one is $700.

Idk which one most people here run. Anyone chime in?

WJCO

Meme King

Currie recently dropped the price. I believe it's around 400 now.

Trail JK

Well I know that one of the Currie tie rods is around $350 and another super beefy one is $700.

Idk which one most people here run. Anyone chime in?

I run the larger of the two, the $700 one and have been happy. I did recently have to replace one of the ends after bending it. I was able to check out the new lower priced tie rod when picking up the part and it looks solid.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom