DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t expect everyone to be breaking u-joints but if they do, I would hope we could just have some shafts and u-joints laying around to fix them. I think it’s pretty silly that the answer to a fix is to send an entire crate axle out to scavenge parts from. I don’t see any other manufacturer doing that. They would send the part that broke and in less than 93 days.

But aside from you, I haven't seen ANYONE breaking u-joints. And if they were, you can get them on Amazon for like $80 Prime. Personally, I think it's pretty silly that you're complaining about a manufacturer that's willing to send out an entire new axle to help you out when they could have just told you to wait 93 days until they had a specific part available. I don't see any other manufacturers doing that.

Really just think the consumer should be aware that if this common break occurs then they should know what to expect. They could possibly be waiting a long time for parts. I still think they’re great axles, but I offer full disclosure from my experience.

LOL!! You'll forgive me but you breaking a u-joint is far from what I would call a "common break". There were 7 rigs running Dana UD60s that took on slick and nasty rocks out on 8 different wheeling destinations across almost 500 miles of the northeast and WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. If anything, that should prove the only thing "common" is that they DON'T break. For someone who thinks "they're great axles", you sure seem to be going to great lengths to say the exact opposite or at least, from my perspective anyway. And, if you're really all about "full disclosure", I think the consumers should know that your personal experience is a singular one.

So that it doesn't get missed, it'd be oh so easy for me to take this one break, deem Dana to be a failed experiment and go back to Dynatrac but I'm really trying my hardest to keep things as objective as possible and give them as fair a shake as possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So to summaries, its either a 90 day delay for axles with Dynatrac or 90 day delay with Dana Spicer parts. :sigh:

Not exactly. Premier was willing to send out a BRAND NEW COMPLETE AXLE to help him out. Just because he didn't want it doesn't mean there would have been some kind of mandatory delay.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda sounds like my JL battery that went bad after 7 months. They are on national backorder, dealer is telling me 2-3 more months, it’s already been 3 months. Lol needless to say I either parked it while waiting on warranty or just buy an aftermarket battery. Sounds pretty silly to me that Jeep doesn’t have batteries laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Sounds about right to me.

TrailHunter

Hooked
But, he said he was going easy on the throttle. A broke u-joint shouldn't take out the yokes unless you're gassing it.

I don't know... not really my place to explain... but it looked like he was coming down a rock bed incline and the driver wheel fell into a big hole... maybe a lot of forces on the yokes going in... or trying to get out of it...?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know... not really my place to explain... but it looked like he was coming down a rock bed incline and the driver wheel fell into a big hole... maybe a lot of forces on the yokes going in... or trying to get out of it...?

I've seen a lot of u-joints break over the years, some bad enough that they take out the yokes and the ball joints. Of course, most of those were when a lot of skinny pedal was involved. Likewise, I've seen where u-joints fail and at least one shaft is saved. When that happens, very little throttle is involved. But, I wasn't there so whatever happened, happened.

A.J.

Just my opinion which may not mean anything. I think Bubbas break was simply a bad joint. It happens. The downer was no replacement shafts available. Offering to ship an entire axle assembly sounds great but the labor involved in the swap welding on steering ram bracket etc. vs just replacing the axleshaft is a pain in the ass even when you have a lift and shop like Bubba. For the typical garage mechanic DIY guy it would be far worse. Those axles are heavy as hell and hard to move. So long story short I agree 1 bad joint is no testament to the quality of the axles but they really should have some replacement parts stock

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
It would be a pain in the ass to swap out the whole thing. I would have had them send it and take what i needed off of it to fix mine before i went with out my jeep for 93 days.
Just my opinion which may not mean anything. I think Bubbas break was simply a bad joint. It happens. The downer was no replacement shafts available. Offering to ship an entire axle assembly sounds great but the labor involved in the swap welding on steering ram bracket etc. vs just replacing the axleshaft is a pain in the ass even when you have a lift and shop like Bubba. For the typical garage mechanic DIY guy it would be far worse. Those axles are heavy as hell and hard to move. So long story short I agree 1 bad joint is no testament to the quality of the axles but they really should have some replacement parts stock

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Exactly, u-joints break, it happens. What I don't get is why Bubba feels the need to be some kind of forum messiah and post up his singular break like it some kind of "common" one and on this thread, one I created to share my experiences with how well they actually held up on all the rigs running them on the JL/JT Experience. From what I've seen, nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, once I pointed that out, he diverts to them having poor customer service and why, because they don't have a part available?? I mean, it'd be one thing for them to not respond to his calls or emails or to tell him to pound sand but instead, they bent over backwards to find a solution for him. Just because it's not the one he would prefer, they DID try to help out in anyway they could! TO ME, that's pretty damn GOOD customer service. Hell, bkac was just talking about how FCA has a national back order on JL batteries for 2-3 months and the most they're telling him to do is wait or buy something else.

With that said, Bubba admits that u-joints fail and he was okay with that. Bubba also admits that Premier DID try to help him out but that he didn't like their solution. Maybe it's just me but I fail to see what or where the problem is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It would be a pain in the ass to swap out the whole thing. I would have had them send it and take what i needed off of it to fix mine before i went with out my jeep for 93 days.

But there's no reason to swap the whole thing out. All he would need to do is swap out the shafts and Bubba says he could do that in 45 minutes. Also, he only has to wait 93 days because he wasn't happy with getting a whole new and complete axle. And, I get it but it's not like nobody was trying to offer up a timely solution. Again, Bubba admits that u-joints break and he said he's okay with that. He also admits that Premier DID try to help him out. I fail to see how this equals "bad customer service", especially from Dana Spicer and to the point where it needed to be posted up here on my thread talking about how well they really did perform on the JL/JT Experience.

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
Yeah i see what your saying [emoji106] I agree.
But there's no reason to swap the whole thing out. All he would need to do is swap out the shafts and Bubba says he could do that in 45 minutes. Also, he only has to wait 93 days because he wasn't happy with getting a whole new and complete axle. And, I get it but it's not like nobody was trying to offer up a timely solution. Again, Bubba admits that u-joints break and he said he's okay with that. He also admits that Premier DID try to help him out. I fail to see how this equals "bad customer service", especially from Dana Spicer and to the point where it needed to be posted up here on my thread talking about how well they really did perform on the JL/JT Experience.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I am really glad you put the Dana axles to the test. It’s good see they really stepped it up. That’s not to say I wouldn’t still buy Dynatrac. It’s just interesting to see other products put through the ringer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
It was mentioned briefly in the thread.....the UD44. Obviously the 60 is an upgrade, but is the UD44 anything close to a PR44?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am really glad you put the Dana axles to the test. It’s good see they really stepped it up. That’s not to say I wouldn’t still buy Dynatrac. It’s just interesting to see other products put through the ringer.

When it comes to well made axles, Dynatrac is a given. All Cindy and I are trying to do is see how something like a UD60 will hold up. So far, we're quite impressed with what we see.

It was mentioned briefly in the thread.....the UD44. Obviously the 60 is an upgrade, but is the UD44 anything close to a PR44?

It's better than a factory 44 but probably not quite as stout as a ProRock 44. If there is a downside to the ProRock, it's that it's still more or less a JK axle. The benefit of the Advantek 44 is that it comes with the same thicker ring and pinion as the JL and uses the same shafts. The ProRock 44 will have thicker tubes but honestly, I haven't seen any bending or breaking issues with the Advantek 44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back on topic. As you've all seen in our most recent video, here's a shot of Skyjacker giving their UD60's hell with their Hellcat HEMI.

TORTURE-UD60.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I do love the sound of that thing firing up those ledges. The crap tires made for a better show!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do love the sound of that thing firing up those ledges. The crap tires made for a better show!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

LOL - definitely made for a good show but I don't think Lonnie was too happy about it :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom