Help with my 'dream' build

Exuma

As far as 'talking shit about Teraflex,' it's more like 'providing accurate proof of the poor shit that they make.' If money isn't your concern and you want the best quality parts you can get, you shouldn't be looking at Teraflex. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/37869-Teraflex-Bad-rep-for-a-reason-or-isolated-cases

As far as the supercharger, it's not necessary and it makes the most annoying whining on the trail. Great mod for a street car but not for a Jeep IMO.

Also, that Fab Four's bumper actually looks decent to me, however I wouldn't buy a fucking thing from Extreme Terrain as they're shady crooks. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/32388-Extreme-Terrain-Ripping-Off-WAYALIFE-Again!

Wow, that's super lame about Extreme Terrain... I actually emailed them awhile ago with some questions and they were fairly rude. What you put doesn't surprise me :naw:

Interesting point about the supercharger, I didn't consider the noise annoying people around me. Would you suggest anything instead, or is regearing enough with 37" tires? I have seen a lot of people mentioning V8 conversions, which I suppose I wouldn't be against... but $30K on that seems kind of steep when I'm not an extreme enthusiast yet. I could see getting that down the line but not really on my 2nd jeep

Last edited:

Exuma

If you’re looking for the best parts for your money, go check out our website.

Superchargers are like handjobs. I’m not going to go into any more detail than that. Again, check out our website under the services tab. You won’t find handjobs there.

We carry more products than you can currently see on our website and driveshafts are one of those things. I recommend Adams or JE Reel.

If you really want to talk about building a Jeep then call me tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I bookmarked your site, I'll read through it all tomorrow. Thanks!

Exuma

I like almost nothing on this list. As said, I wouldn't go Tera flex. Evo is great. I run JKS and love it. Second, don't buy from Extreme Terrain. Third, you don't need a sway bar disconnect kit since you're buying a Rubicon which makes me wonder how much research you've actually done. Fourth, you won't fit in your garage with 37s, a Gobi Ranger rack, and a standard 7' garage. Fifth, I used to run a Gobi Stealth rack and sold it for a reason. Sixth, I'd reconsider your tire choice; don't know many guys running those. Seventh, if you're putting this much money ($30-40k) into it, you've skipped a lot of important parts on the underside (axles, driveshafts, etc) which are more important than a shiny bumper. Eighth, I didn't see anything about a rear bumper or tire carrier; maybe I just missed it. Ninth, I'd include a sport cage of some sort.

And tenth, a new Rubicon plus $40k in parts puts you around $80k. You could buy a used, already built one that would be much nicer than the one in your picture for that. Much nicer.

All very good points. I definitely won't be buying from ET after reading some other replies.

I've done a lot of research but there is also an insane amount of information. At some point my brain fills up and I start forgetting the first things I learned :doh:

Thanks for the no-bs Feedback

Exuma

If you’re looking for the best parts for your money, go check out our website.

Superchargers are like handjobs. I’m not going to go into any more detail than that. Again, check out our website under the services tab. You won’t find handjobs there.

We carry more products than you can currently see on our website and driveshafts are one of those things. I recommend Adams or JE Reel.

If you really want to talk about building a Jeep then call me tomorrow.

I had a look at your site, I see a few errors on it which might be preventing the products from loading (they appear and disappear). That could be an unrelated issue, but you definitely have the issue below as well.

on this page for instance: http://exodusjeeps.com/drivetrain/

If you view source, you will see lines 4008-4047 are executing jQuery, all the stuff which starts with $(...)

However, you don't include jQuery until line 4220, which results in several errors:

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 9.46.44 PM.png

WJCO

Meme King
Interesting point about the supercharger, I didn't consider the noise annoying people around me. Would you suggest anything instead, or is regearing enough with 37" tires? I have seen a lot of people mentioning V8 conversions, which I suppose I wouldn't be against... but $30K on that seems kind of steep when I'm not an extreme enthusiast yet. I could see getting that down the line but not really on my 2nd jeep

Many members here have re-geared with 37s and are quite happy. As far as an engine swap, you can always do that down the road. A re-gear should bring your power back with the large tires.

I had a look at your site, I see a few errors on it which might be preventing the products from loading (they appear and disappear). That could be an unrelated issue, but you definitely have the issue below as well.

If you view source, you will see lines 4008-4047 are executing jQuery, all the stuff which starts with $(...)

However, you don't include jQuery until line 4220, which results in several errors:

Strange. Send them a private message. They will be able to help get you going.

Exodus 4x4

View attachment 291224

Hmmm, I’ll have someone check it out. Thanks

Exuma

Hmmm, I’ll have someone check it out. Thanks

NP. I saved your information, I'm sure you're super busy so I don't want to bother you with (dumb) questions if I'm still about 1-2 months away from buying -- but when the time comes I'll see about ordering everything I need through you rather than ExtremeTurdRain. Ive researched you on here and online and you have lots of good reviews!

Edit: I will also need someone to help me install everything, which I am sure you do as well. I live in CA so I could potentially ship the jeep on a truck or maybe drive it. I will figure out the logistics closer to when the time comes.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

All very good points. I definitely won't be buying from ET after reading some other replies.

I've done a lot of research but there is also an insane amount of information. At some point my brain fills up and I start forgetting the first things I learned :doh:

Thanks for the no-bs Feedback
You're welcome :) Thanks for actually asking and listening to feedback. Most guys just want to be told what they want to hear. Keep asking questions. Lots of good info on here.

Exuma

You're welcome :) Thanks for actually asking and listening to feedback. Most guys just want to be told what they want to hear. Keep asking questions. Lots of good info on here.

THanks man.

I do actually have 1 more question... where is a good site to view good quality photos of products (that aren't from shitty brands). That's mostly why I used Extreme Terrain in the past was big high quality comparison photos, but now I need to find something new I can "browse". I tried 4wheelparts but it's kind of meh, I don't know if they are turd bags either.

Are there 2-3 sites that just house really good american made parts, and lots of them, so I can check out different bumper styles etc. My current method is to go through tons of videos but its time consuming.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
THanks man.

I do actually have 1 more question... where is a good site to view good quality photos of products (that aren't from shitty brands). That's mostly why I used Extreme Terrain in the past was big high quality comparison photos, but now I need to find something new I can "browse". I tried 4wheelparts but it's kind of meh, I don't know if they are turd bags either.

Are there 2-3 sites that just house really good american made parts, and lots of them, so I can check out different bumper styles etc. My current method is to go through tons of videos but its time consuming.

Check out our vendor section. Nearly all of them use parts Made in the USA and all of them help support the forum here. https://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php/56-Manufacturers-amp-Vendors

Pick out one you want and then go to their website to see what they have.

Exuma

By the way-- you mentioned you sold your Gobi roof racks. Was the reason was the size was too big, or was there another reason?

GraniteCrystal

By the way-- you mentioned you sold your Gobi roof racks. Was the reason was the size was too big, or was there another reason?
One reason was it makes the Jeep really tall and I wouldn't fit in the garage. Second reason was I felt like there was always a noise/rattle I was chasing down. Third reason was wind noise/worse gas mileage but it wasn't too bad on either of those. Fourth reason was I didn't like the look of it much without the hard top on. Fifth reason was I wanted the money to go to other parts.

If I have to get a roof rack again, I'd look at the Rhino racks.

Exuma

One reason was it makes the Jeep really tall and I wouldn't fit in the garage. Second reason was I felt like there was always a noise/rattle I was chasing down. Third reason was wind noise/worse gas mileage but it wasn't too bad on either of those. Fourth reason was I didn't like the look of it much without the hard top on. Fifth reason was I wanted the money to go to other parts.

If I have to get a roof rack again, I'd look at the Rhino racks.

I agree... it does look kind of wack. I am looking for a roof rack which angles down on a soft/no-top 4 door. All the roof racks have a massive area in the back thats square as if it were a hard top. :icon_crazy:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
THanks man.

Try to find a trail run with other wayalifers. I’ll bet they have many of these USA parts.

Off-road Evolution
Rock hard 4x4
Dynatrac
Synergy Mfg
Rancho
Some Poison Spyder stuff
Some JKS stuff
Most Warn stuff

I’d say start with a CB, air compressor, oil pan skid plate, and tow strap.

Last edited:

SilverBack775

Hey there,

I'm planning to get a 2018 4-door Rubicon JK in the next few months. I've created a spreadsheet last year where I added parts I like whenever I see them in videos.

It's almost time where I'm going to buy the Jeep, but my build is still far from done. Now that I have the "high level overview" done, I'm posting here so you guys can hopefully help me dial in the specifics.

My absolute main concern is using the best parts I can. I'm not necessarily concerned about money (I expect it will be $30-40K in aftermarket parts alone?), I only care about the build and manufacturing quality. I'm not looking for low budget suggestions.

My goal: I'm looking at extreme mud, overlanding, a little bit of rock crawling -- but probably not any extreme or advanced rock crawling like I see in some of the Wayalife videos. Something along these lines seems about accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djezl-JnrXw

I've read around on this forum a bit before posting, and it seems people can be pretty sarcastic and blunt... which is why I chose to post this here than another place that might sugarcoat things.

First... Here's an image of a Jeep which is almost exactly the look I'm going for (except the wheels, and grill inserts, both of which I hate). Everything else I love...

Vny0vAC.png

Keep in mind... this is not 100% decided... this is just a "rough" direction before I really dive into exact parts.

ENGINE + SUSPENSION

- Suspension: 4 in Teraflex lift kit with shocks. I originally picked this lift kit but I've seen tons of people talking shit about Teraflex on here... what would you guys recommend for a very high quality 4" lift kit that includes everything I need? Do I need stabilizers and other stuff?

- Supercharger: RIPP Supercharger

- Exhaust: Not sure, any suggestions?

- Battery: Genesis dual battery kit

- Alternator: not sure, any suggestions?

EXTERIOR

Front bumper: Fab Fours winch bumper ... it seems Fab Four makes the biggest ugliest nastiest clown bumpers that are a joke to the entire Jeep community...
sadly the bumper I like most is also made by this company. I think it looks respectable and not ugly. Is this going to be the butt of every joke if I get this?
I really, really like how it looks. https://www.extremeterrain.com/fabfours-lifestyle-winch-bumper-guard-0717jk.html

Skid plate: Do I need this? I read in this FAQ that maybe I dont... https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...Jeep-JK-Wrangler?p=21020&viewfull=1#post21020

Differential covers: ARB 44 Red

Roof rack: Gobi ranger rack

Rubi rails / rock sliders: Are these the same thing? What is a good brand?

Undercoat: Should I get some sort of undercoat to prevent rust?

Fenders: TBD but I know I want thing black ones, not very large bulky ones. I still have to figure these out

LIGHTS

- 4 round PIAA lights on roof (no light bar... I like the classic look). I want it to look like this... but does this attach right to the Gobi roof rack or do I need another mount? https://www.fabfours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/WEB_NEW_B1850_TOPBLCK.jpg

WHEELS & TIRES

Wheels: 17x9 Mammoth 8 style beadlock - https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-black-8-17x9-jk-j100609.html

Tires: 37" Maxxis trepador (non competition) or Nitto trail/mud grappler

MISC PARTS

Do I need these? This was stuff I saw that looked important but I don't know if I should get something or not.

- Exhaust spacers
- Ring & pinion kit
- Cold air intake
- Sway bar disconnect kit
- Breather tubes (axle, transfer case, transmission)

I'd also love for any comments for things I'm obviously missing. I'm almost positive in all my reading I've missed some obvious parts that I should have.

Thanks!

I would stay away from teraflex. Go Evo! So many better brands then teraflex. Buy American made!

SilverBack775

Wow, that's super lame about Extreme Terrain... I actually emailed them awhile ago with some questions and they were fairly rude. What you put doesn't surprise me :naw:

If you notice extreme terrain doesn’t cary much on high end parts but mostly crap

SilverBack775

THanks man.

Check out Northridge4x4.com

Top Bottom