Choosing A Soft Top

WJCO

Meme King
So after months of fighting leaks on our freedom top I am thinking about getting a soft top for our 2012 jk. Looking for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Merged here. If we had to do it again, we would get the Twill fabric over the Black Diamond. Black Diamond stays dirty pretty much forever.

Merged here. If we had to do it again, we would get the Twill fabric over the Black Diamond. Black Diamond stays dirty pretty much forever.

^^^ this^^^ my black diamond fabric constantly looks like a bukkake party gone horribly wrong no matter how well I take care of it.

Regolith

It’s Summertime. Let’s talk soft tops.

Bought my JL Rubicon with the hard top. Looking at soft tops for the summer. I had the fastback style Trektop NX on my JK... loved it. But I did miss the extra storage capacity in the cargo area for my dog.

Question is, how are people liking the full “factory style” soft tops? Is it worth the extra money? I realize this is subjective. Just looking for people’s opinions on what they’ve seen/experienced. Thanks for the insights.

WJCO

Meme King
Bought my JL Rubicon with the hard top. Looking at soft tops for the summer. I had the fastback style Trektop NX on my JK... loved it. But I did miss the extra storage capacity in the cargo area for my dog.

Question is, how are people liking the full “factory style” soft tops? Is it worth the extra money? I realize this is subjective. Just looking for people’s opinions on what they’ve seen/experienced. Thanks for the insights.

Well, now that summer is coming to an end and people are putting their hard tops back on...

Bump

Merged here.

Napalm

When I had a Jk, I switched from the Trektop NX back to the factory style soft top. Yes, you do gain a little more storage space having the factory soft top over the trek top, but the looks of the Trektop in my opinion are far better than the factory. Of course that is subjective, but in my mind the looks and functionality of the Trektop NX are superior to the extra storage space gained with the factory soft top.

Here is a quote from one of my build threads of a comparison of the two that I wrote several years ago. Hope it helps! Keep in mind, this was also written with the JK tops in mind as well.

I've finally got around to typing up a sort of side by side comparison of the two most common tops in the Jeep world, The trek top and regular soft top. I've had an extended period of time with each of them, and so I've been able to compare the two and I am putting it into words what I think the differences are.

DISCLAIMER : This is NOT a review or any sort of product bashing section, I'm simply writing this up so that people are able to see the main differences in word form, and it might help make a decision. There is no winner or loser, and if this type of post is not approved by the moderators or admin, please let me know, i'd be more than happy to edit it and make it dissapear. Thanks for your time and if you have any questions, please ask and hopefully I can answer.

Now I'd like to start out by saying, these tops are BOTH great tops. Choosing to run either of these tops would be a great decision, They both have great looks and will make your Jeep look awesome! But which one is right for you?

The most obvious difference between the two tops is definitely their looks. Each top has it's own unique look, and function. The Trek top boasts more of a sporty look with its fastback rear, and it's definately a nice looking top. It curves to the roll-bar and for everyone who doesn't know, it does not use a bow like a standard factory soft top. The Factory soft top looks similar to a factory hard top, except that it is soft. The top over the front and rear seats is a slight bit higher than the trek top, by possibly an inch or a little less. From my tests, I did not see a change in windnoise or aerodynamics due to this extra inch. The Trek Top and Soft top both have great aerodynamic qualities and are greatly engineered.

People love soft tops due to what you can do with them, as compared to a hard top. With both soft tops, you have the option to remove pieces of each of them to have more of an open air experience. Almost everyone i've asked, this is the reason why they choose to run soft tops. Either that, or the climate in your area. (Sorry Northerner's.. i know the weather is tough up there) In a normal factory soft top, the side and rear windows are able to be zipped out, they also have to be in order to completely lower the top. You also have a Sunrider feature(yay). The Trek top also boasts all of these features as well with the exception that your rear windows and back window make up the rear of the top. The top is in 4 seperate pieces when you pull it out of the box, three of those making up your rear glass. This means that you can remove the rear windows and have a complete "safari" top(just the bikini style.) So included when you purchase your trek top is a free bikini top. (yay.) The Trek top also has an included sunrider top, there is a slight difference between the two in that the Factory sofft top sunrider is a slight bit larger in it's opening by maybe about 6 inches. It also sits higher on the Jeep when in the pulled back position, compared to the Trek Top. The Factory sunrider soft top has to also be secured down with two velcro strips included. Both work well and I feel that the sunrider is a nice addition for a quick moment of topless driving that everyone needs.

Let's talk hardware. The tops come with almost exact hardware for install, except the trek top does include a few more pieces you need to put on. The Trek top does not use any sort of frame of bows, but it does include 2 support bows in the package. What are these for? Well, the Trek top does not have a frame, so support during heavy water is snow situations is needed, and is cured by the use of the two support bows. The door surrounds for each top are nearly identical, one of the main differences is that the factory soft top comes with two arms that stretch off the frame of the soft top and connect to the Jeeps roll bar. This is because the factory soft top is meant to be able to be pulled back like a convertible top, and this helps it hang on to the roll bar for safe keeping.

The fabric and windows are completely identical. One of the things i've been asked the most about comparing the two is, do you really lose that much storage space? My answer for you is, NO. Yes, you do lose some storage space, thats inevitable, but it all depends on how much you carry and making it work for what look you want, guys we are Jeepers, we can make anything and the kitchen sink work. Don't not buy a Trek top because of storage space, because I am here to tell you, you won't miss it. Having a Trek top or a soft top is all about personal preference, if you want fast back or regular, etc etc.

So how easy is it to have fun with these tops? Try putting one of either on in the winter time and see how much fun you have [emoji6] Really, it's just as easy as a few zips. Take out the windows, or pull the sunrider back, whatever is easiest for you.

All in all, these tops are extremely similar. The main distinguishable difference in my opinion are the looks, do you want fast back, or do you want regular SUV style? The choice is yours. Both of these tops will cater to anyone wanting a soft top. Having a Trek top or a soft top is all about personal preference, if you want fast back or regular, etc etc.

Now for all those who have asked, I will give you my reasoning for switching back to a factory soft top over a trek top. 1. I am not in any way good at pulling off my whole trek top, and I love to run naked. It is easier for me to pull back a factory soft top then it was the Trek top, and I wanted to have that convenience. 2. My wife did not like the look as much as a regular soft top. 3. This top was a gift to me from another Jeeper, I couldn't hesitate but to run it. There are things that I miss about my Trek Top, of course, but I also gain some things with the factory soft top that I prefer compared to others.

In conclusion, I send you away with this advice. Buy a top based on what look you are wanting, because those are the true big differences in these tops. Functionality and Storage space are all up to what you prefer and what works for you, That's what matters.

Get what works for you, If I could run em both, I would.

Thanks for reading guys!

Last edited:

bubbad323

JK Soft Top Recommendations

I’m on my second soft top. First one...zipper ripped on a side window (top connection) and bought a new top last year. The side windows seem to be a real pain in the ass. They slope upwards toward the rear doors. And when securing the bottom channels, the zippered parts start to rip apart. Really tired of having to finagle this so it doesn’t happen. Anyone have experience with the nx glide tops? What about the bestop supertop? Looks interesting however when completely down it seems the rear view is really obstructed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom