ROOF TOP TENT : What Should We Get?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I’ve always wondered how wind and rain proof these RTT’s are? Anyone ride out really nasty weather in one? (Like the kind of wind and horizontal rain that folds up or soaks 3-season dome tents)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve always wondered how wind and rain proof these RTT’s are? Anyone ride out really nasty weather in one? (Like the kind of wind and horizontal rain that folds up or soaks 3-season dome tents)

Good question. I'll bet this is where the JB and other clam shell types do much better.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Good question. I'll bet this is where the JB and other clam shell types do much better.

Honestly, that’s a big deal for me and it’s why I keep going back to looking at teardrop style off-road trailers. It’s also why I use a top of the line, 4 season, mountain hardwear tent (even in the summer). As you well know, the high Sierras can be unforgiving. There are few things worse than waking up in the middle of the night to a collapsed tent.

Just looked up Alu-Cab tents thinking they look pretty good and bomb proof. But Jesus Christ they are proud of them. They go for around 4 grand.

jesse3638

Hooked
I love when a product is good enough that customers end up being salesman.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My mom was a sales person and always said you have to believe in the products you sell. Up until she passed away she would still write letters (not e-mail) to companies she believed in.

Like a vette? ;)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good one!

Honestly, that’s a big deal for me and it’s why I keep going back to looking at teardrop style off-road trailers. It’s also why I use a top of the line, 4 season, mountain hardwear tent (even in the summer). As you well know, the high Sierras can be unforgiving. There are few things worse than waking up in the middle of the night to a collapsed tent.

Or being soaked from rain run off coming up through the bottom of the tent. We carry "60 second" tents to use at work. They are fine when its dry but when it gets nasty you wake up cold and wet. For years now I've carried an REI half done 2 person tent. I've spent many nights in torrential down pours and woke up nice and dry inside. Also they are smaller so when its cold they hold heat better than the large tents.

Brute

Hooked
My mom was a sales person and always said you have to believe in the products you sell. Up until she passed away she would still write letters (not e-mail) to companies she believed in.

Good one!

Or being soaked from rain run off coming up through the bottom of the tent. We carry "60 second" tents to use at work. They are fine when its dry but when it gets nasty you wake up cold and wet. For years now I've carried an REI half done 2 person tent. I've spent many nights in torrential down pours and woke up nice and dry inside. Also they are smaller so when its cold they hold heat better than the large tents.

Small tent is warmer...that is truth.

Abntroop

Having come from the PNW, our CVT tent was all taped seams and we have camped in it in snow conditions, full nasty rain storms, etc etc. have never been anything but warm and dry. Was a great investment and beat all hell to air mattresses, ground tents, and mud. Having used ground tents for years I do not miss them in the slightest.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
We just got done with a Jeep Jamboree and one of our Jeeps has this.
The Tepui, my boss really likes it.
Another in our group stayed in a hard shell. After a solid night of rain ( I was on ground in a tent I have had for 20+ years LOL) when we went to shut it, the water on top of the hard shell DRENCHED the owner. :doh: Just a heads up on that.
But as others have said, the hard shell set up fast.

Attachments

• 20190905_094534.jpg
    20190905_094534.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
We just got done with a Jeep Jamboree and one of our Jeeps has this.
The Tepui, my boss really likes it.
Another in our group stayed in a hard shell. After a solid night of rain ( I was on ground in a tent I have had for 20+ years LOL) when we went to shut it, the water on top of the hard shell DRENCHED the owner. :doh: Just a heads up on that.
But as others have said, the hard shell set up fast.

Not sure which hardshell he has, but I’ve spent a few nights in a hard rain in mine...never been drier in a tent...

Rancho

Caught the Bug
No he was dry in the inside but when he pulled the tent down the next AM after the storm, the rain that was on the top drenched hmm
:cheesy:

Not sure which hardshell he has, but I’ve spent a few nights in a hard rain in mine...never been drier in a tent...

Brute

Hooked
No he was dry in the inside but when he pulled the tent down the next AM after the storm, the rain that was on the top drenched hmm
:cheesy:

Ha...I could see how that could be a possibility...although it's never happened to me...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Curious to see what you end up with, I need something since I cant stand the ground tent anymore. We have a cot with an air mattress on top but its so annoying to deal with.

Top Bottom