Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

MericaMade

Never had smoked turkey. My buddy has a Traeger so I'm gonna suggest we smoke a turkey soon after reading all this.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Chicken wings and home made pizzas.

IMG_5439.jpg
IMG_5438.jpg

Barely got a pic in before people were grabbing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Hosted Christmas Eve this year. Yes, had to do the seven fishes dinner. The smoker frees up a lot of oven space. Simple one here, pacific salmon (harder to get on the east coast than you think) marinaded in soy, fresh ginger and brown sugar for 15 hours. IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1248.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
5 hour smoke on an Oklahoma Joe offset with gasket and basket mods.

Off on the side there is tomato paste and garlic for a roasted pepper sauce I make. You only smoke those for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Looks great...why not Atlantic salmon, which is plentiful on the east coast?

Thank you. Atlantic salmon here is farm raised. Different fat content and texture. I’m not against farm raised, but in my opinion, wild caught smokes better. It’s really just a personal preference.

WJCO

Meme King
Looks great...why not Atlantic salmon, which is plentiful on the east coast?

Thank you. Atlantic salmon here is farm raised. Different fat content and texture. I’m not against farm raised, but in my opinion, wild caught smokes better. It’s really just a personal preference.

No comparison to Pacific salmon, IMO. I've never smoked a single Atlantic salmon that I've been as impressed with as Pacific in regards to flavor. But Pacific here is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Brute

Hooked
I’ve had wild Atlantic salmon in Iceland...it’s fantastic...but I agree with farm raised salmon, or any fish for that matter...I never buy it. Isn’t wild Atlantic salmon available from Nova Scotia or anywhere in the northeast?

Ddays

Hooked
I’ve had wild Atlantic salmon in Iceland...it’s fantastic...but I agree with farm raised salmon, or any fish for that matter...I never buy it. Isn’t wild Atlantic salmon available from Nova Scotia or anywhere in the northeast?

I believe it's illegal to harvest Wild Atlantic Salmon because it's endangered. Atlantic salmon for sale commercially is all farm raised.
A bright spot is salmon from the Faroe Islands - it's noticeably different from other farm raised Atlantic salmon - it's color and fat content is closer to wild caught Pacific salmon, but not all the way there.
Still, it's pretty tasty when you can find it

Edit: Yep - it is. I cribbed this from an online article from the NY Times: Most farm-raised salmon is Atlantic salmon — the only species of salmon living in the Atlantic ocean — and, because in the wild it is an endangered species, fishing for it is prohibited almost everywhere (certainly in the U.S.) and almost all Atlantic salmon sold in stores is farm-raised. There is no virtually no wild Atlantic salmon for sale

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Wild Atlantic salmon is available in Scandinavia, and I know it’s available in Iceland...I remember as a kid they used to fish for it in the Connecticut River when I went to high school in MA...I guess we effed up all the rivers on the NE coast in the last 50 years so they are an endangered species...

black pearl

Hooked
It’s been some time since I have used a smoker, but the wife got me one for Christmas. So I really wanted to test it out. so I’m doing a cajun dry rub with cherry wood. We’re already planning what to marinate for the next round. IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1803.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
It’s been some time since I have used a smoker, but the wife got me one for Christmas. So I really wanted to test it out. so I’m doing a cajun dry rub with cherry wood. We’re already planning what to marinate for the next round.

I have one very similar. Very easy to use. Hope it works well for you.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
It’s been some time since I have used a smoker, but the wife got me one for Christmas. So I really wanted to test it out. so I’m doing a cajun dry rub with cherry wood. We’re already planning what to marinate for the next round. View attachment 339218 View attachment 339219

I’m definitely a little jealous of you guys with the electrics. Set it and forget it. My neighbor has one with the glass door. Really nice. Yours is looking good already.
Brute, I’ll assume it’s been screwed up pretty badly over the years. I don’t see how you can’t with such enormous populations living on both coasts. To be fair, the Army Corps of Engineers recently updated my area along the belt parkway after Sandy. The water is as clean as I’ve ever seen it and we can now see whales and dolphins in the Rockaways rather than traveling New England.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
No comparison to Pacific salmon, IMO. I've never smoked a single Atlantic salmon that I've been as impressed with as Pacific in regards to flavor. But Pacific here is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I didn’t want to say it out loud, but yes. It’s pretty bad. It’s been we’ll known for years that Atlantic salmon means farm raised. I bought it once for the smoker. Because of the fat content and smoke temperatures, it looked like a science project. Didn’t even bother eating it and thought I made a mistake with the smoker. Nope, my mistake was farm raised.

One last thing, I know I’m late chiming in on this one, but I’ve been smoking turkeys for about 5 years. They’re amazing. I brine for 3 days in salt, pepper, allspice, thyme and rosemary.
Smoke it on a rack in a pan with celery, onion and carrots and about an inch of water. Save the drippings for the gravy.
Let people know you’ve smoked it because the pink smoke ring can make it appear undercooked.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I didn’t want to say it out loud, but yes. It’s pretty bad. It’s been we’ll known for years that Atlantic salmon means farm raised. I bought it once for the smoker. Because of the fat content and smoke temperatures, it looked like a science project. Didn’t even bother eating it and thought I made a mistake with the smoker. Nope, my mistake was farm raised.

I've also found the farm raised to not turn out as well as wild caught when smoked. I prefer the atlantic salmon done in the oven and wild caught in the smoker.

Top Bottom