Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

TrailHunter

Hooked
Cool thread... I was just talking about this today... I would like to flat tow mine a couple times a Year with a rental RV:
1. Can I hook up directly to an EVO 1/4 bumper?
2. What is the best tow kit to buy?
3. Is there a specific wiring kit I need?
4. Does the Rv need to have special wiring? Meaning a rental will not be equipped...?

Sorry for all the questions... Thanks

Cool thread... I was just talking about this today... I would like to flat tow mine a couple times a Year with a rental RV:
4. Does the Rv need to have special wiring? Meaning a rental will not be equipped...?

1. You need a spot on your evo 1/4 to attach mounts, Check out Rock Hard, they make specific mounts for various brands of tow bars
2. I use Demco, works great, been using their products for 10+ years behind 2 different motorhomes
3. Jeep sells a kit #82211156AB that plugs into existing wiring harness under dash for brake/turn/running lights
4. If the RV has a trailer towing package then u can pull your jeep as long as the RV has a combined rating to do so

TrailHunter

Hooked
1. You need a spot on your evo 1/4 to attach mounts, Check out Rock Hard, they make specific mounts for various brands of tow bars
2. I use Demco, works great, been using their products for 10+ years behind 2 different motorhomes
3. Jeep sells a kit #82211156AB that plugs into existing wiring harness under dash for brake/turn/running lights
4. If the RV has a trailer towing package then u can pull your jeep as long as the RV has a combined rating to do so

Perfect... That will get me going on my searches! Thank you so much!

Breer

Caught the Bug

On 1. If you have d ring mounts on your Evo 1/4, you could do what I did. I bought a tow bar that has adjustable arms and adapters to mount the bar to the d ring tabs. I have the warrior products adapters.

Not sure on the others as I have a wireless brake light setup and just tow the cj around with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
On 1. If you have d ring mounts on your Evo 1/4, you could do what I did. I bought a tow bar that has adjustable arms and adapters to mount the bar to the d ring tabs. I have the warrior products adapters.

Not sure on the others as I have a wireless brake light setup and just tow the cj around with that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ll look into that... thanks!!

Ddays

Hooked

Make sure towing is permitted by the rental company upfront. A lot of them do not allow this. I looked into a rental a couple years ago and ran into this.

23844451_10155663225571206_8755658269704624127_n.jpg
Maybe this is an option for ya :thinking:

LBK Bud

I bought the '15 JKU to tow behind our motorhome when we retired

IMG_1765.jpg

2012 Newmar 38' Dutch Star.

Took it on a 4 month trip and really enjoyed having the jeep. Big Bend, Tucson, Death Valley, Mt Ranier in the snow to name a few places

We decided to downsize the RV and got a Roadtrek Sprinter based. It could tow the Jeep but the tow capacity is 5000 lbs, too close to the Jeep weight, especially when we go across the Rockies. It also had some persistant electrical issues.

We just traded the Roadtrek for a Dynamax Isata 5. Built on a Ram 5500 chassis. Cummins power and 10000 # towing. We won't get until late spring, plan on going to Moab on our first big trip. :D

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I don't have an RV but do fantasize about getting one when I retire. I really like the Jayco/Seneca style freightliner conversions, It's kind of my ultimate dream vehicle. My work truck is the same cabstyle in a flatbed about the same length so I could step into it like driving my pickup.
Would love to tour the country on my own time with the Jeep on a trailer. I could see spending a couple months out of the year running coast to coast checking out America's hidden gems. On and off the trail.
Bucket list thing I guess.

gallery_picture_6662.jpg

eatinbiskit

Hello all. I am planning on moving to the west coast in the near future. I was recently told by a mechanic that I trust to give me the unvarnished truth that I could not flat tow my 2015 JKU. Then I read this post.
I have an automatic transmission with that goofy optional shift to manual. Is that the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Hello all. I am planning on moving to the west coast in the near future. I was recently told by a mechanic that I trust to give me the unvarnished truth that I could not flat tow my 2015 JKU. Then I read this post.
I have an automatic transmission with that goofy optional shift to manual. Is that the issue?

You'd better rethink your trust in that mechanic. Read the first post in this thread... Tranny in park, transfer case in neutral and you're good to go.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

black pearl

Hooked

You'd better rethink your trust in that mechanic. Read the first post in this thread... Tranny in park, transfer case in neutral and you're good to go.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Have you read your manual? It says the same thing baddestCross just posted. The mechanic doesn't seem to know about this situation.

duktrx

Mopar actually makes a harness that connects in to use the jeep lights when flat towing. Seem to remember it connects behind glove box, routes to the front bumper. Plugs into a 7 flat of tow vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
BaddestCross is 100% correct. The manual provides detailed instruction for flat towing your Jeep. I have a 15 JKUR automatic and so far this year I have towed mine 3k miles without issue

MTG

Caught the Bug
Bumping this thread up.

I'm quite a few years off (maybe) from buying an RV and cruising the US, but I would like to hear more stories/experiences from people who are.

Favorite places? Places to avoid? Must do's/have's? Thing's you'd do different? etc...

wibornz

Yup. Need to hear more from people that are traveling in an RV with a Jeep behind it. Give up the stories folks.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Biggest thing to avoid is places where you can’t keep moving forward. You cannot back up your motor home with your Jeep (or other towed vehicle attached). Because the steering on the Jeep is not locked it will jack knife in a heartbeat. Other than that it is a breeze.

Top Bottom