Recent Shooting and Discussion

TLife

I don't think it's the 'inconvenience' that's the negative issue with this. At least for me it isn't. It's what I posted earlier and what Speedy posted. Who creates the tests? Who administers the test? Who reviews the answers? Who gets to decide who is crazy or not? Etc.......

All good logistics questions. I guess my answer to all of them would be a very broad “licensed medical professionals”.

The fact that we’ve gotten to logistics and presumably there’s an answer to those questions that would satisfy you is something though. It no longer sounds like fundamental opposition.

Here in Michigan it is not required and is transacted as a private person to person sale.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Not entirely accurate.

At a show, if the booth is an actual FFL dealer they’re required to do the check and paperwork. If it’s Joe Schmo selling grandpas antique rifle collection it’s not required.

Over 18, long guns are not registered and may be purchased person to person like that. Brand new long guns ARE registered to original purchaser but after that do not require to be registered if resold.

Over 21, Pistols may not be sold person to person unless the buyer possesses a CPL or purchase permit from local PD. And all pistols must be registered.

CPL classes are normally two day classes (or one long day) with classroom and range test. Classes range from 100 to 200 on average, CPL cost is about 120 with fingerprinting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Exodus 4x4

Can’t believe this thread went some 8 hours without a post....

I did read an interesting article today by Matt Walsh. Some pretty compelling facts on there about the recent surge in mass shootings. I urge you to seek that article out and read it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Leeboy03

I did read an interesting article today by Matt Walsh. Some pretty compelling facts on there about the recent surge in mass shootings. I urge you to seek that article out and read it.

Yeah I think everyone is fed up with the thread! I too read an interesting article about the Ohio shooter. Seems he was an anti gun, anti America, extreme lefty that was obsessed with satan. I guess he figured that a mass shooting would help push the left’s gun regulations. And it might happen.... Ill look up that article your talking about.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Yeah I think everyone is fed up with the thread! I too read an interesting article about the Ohio shooter. Seems he was an anti gun, anti America, extreme lefty that was obsessed with satan. I guess he figured that a mass shooting would help push the left’s gun regulations. And it might happen.... Ill look up that article your talking about.

Wh. I think it’s more that the tragedy is over and people don’t care as much as they did three days ago. Until next week....

Could probably put some Vegas odds on these shootings.

Exodus 4x4

Wh. I think it’s more that the tragedy is over and people don’t care as much as they did three days ago. Until next week....

Could probably put some Vegas odds on these shootings.

Oh I know. I only stoked the fire because the article I’m pointing out talks about root causes, something necessary if you want to stop things from happening.

jesse3638

Hooked

Thanks for pointing that out. It has some really good points and is quite compelling. I think there could be a lot of truth in what he is saying and more research should be put into that. My wife recently took a position at a local school in our district as a behavioral interventionist to work on social and emotional skills with TK-4th graders in a TK-8th school. She was tasked with designing a program to help curb the behavior problems they were having at school. While the teachers originally thought she was weird and crazy because of her unorthodox approach and out of the box implementation, what she was doing with the students had a profound impact on the behavioral problems at the school. A story she shared with me was that last school year in the course of a week the number of fights went crazy. Come to find out there was an IG post calling that week fight week and the challenge was that you had to get into or film a fight and post it to your IG. Were talking a all grades at this school. I think that falls into the what Matt Walsh classified as the dehumanization or numbness created by the internet. Consequences didn't matter to the students just getting tje attention on their profiles.
She is really in to researching all of this stuff and I'll find the book she is reading. There is a passage she read to me that was pretty profound and this book was published in the early 2000's.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
That’s easy to answer even though nobody really wants to say it out loud. Generally speaking, the answer is that nobody really cares about inner city poor black kids killing each other in gang/turf/drug/whatever crimes. Nobody cares because the collective population isn’t really at risk. The majority of the murders in Chicago are not just random killings.

In reality, I am zero times more likely to get killed in Chicago then I am to get shot in a mass killing in my hometown. I don’t live in Chicago and am unlikely to visit it...certainly very unlikely to visit the high crime areas or put myself in a situation where 1:1 crime is likely.

Mass killings are typically random and the victims are not usually in the process of participating in a crime or some other activity that could generally be considered dangerous. Since they are random, people feel like they have less control over whether they end up in a mass killing situation, and that is what scares people.

Bingo!!!!

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Can you block posters on WAL? I'm all for people having their own opinion. But if their ideas revolve around a bunch of shitty meme's they're probably just a worthless troll.

WJCO

Meme King
Can you block posters on WAL? I'm all for people having their own opinion. But if their ideas revolve around a bunch of shitty meme's they're probably just a worthless troll.

Yes. On whatever member's profile that you wish to ignore, there is an ignore button:

ssss.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja

That's a great article. I have been trying to say much of the same stuff in this thread since its inception, though perhaps not nearly as eloquently. I have never thought of the mass shootings (or any shootings for that matter) as just a "gun problem" or just a "mental health problem". The bigger societal problem is much more complex than any one issue and therefore cannot be cured with any one solution. With that said, my question really boils down to following points:

If everyone agrees that certain aspects of society are all screwed up and not easily repaired, can we do a better job of limiting the ability of the screwed up people to hurt large numbers of non-screwed up people at once? And, if we can do a better job, should doing so involve taking a long look at how we regulate the purchase, possession and use of firearms to figure out if there is anything we can be doing better?

As a related point, I believe we have reached a tipping point where lawful and responsible gun owners (I would like to think of myself as being in that category) must be willing to engage in the conversation with an eye towards helping find solutions rather than simply giving our best Charlton Heston impression. If we aren't, I am fearful that all of our gun rights might end up on the chopping block.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
That's a great article. I have been trying to say much of the same stuff in this thread since its inception, though perhaps not nearly as eloquently. I have never thought of the mass shootings (or any shootings for that matter) as just a "gun problem" or just a "mental health problem". The bigger societal problem is much more complex than any one issue and therefore cannot be cured with any one solution. With that said, my question really boils down to following points:

If everyone agrees that certain aspects of society are all screwed up and not easily repaired, can we do a better job of limiting the ability of the screwed up people to hurt large numbers of non-screwed up people at once? And, if we can do a better job, should doing so involve taking a long look at how we regulate the purchase, possession and use of firearms to figure out if there is anything we can be doing better?

As a related point, I believe we have reached a tipping point where lawful and responsible gun owners (I would like to think of myself as being in that category) must be willing to be engage in the conversation with an eye towards helping find solutions rather than simply giving our best Charlton Heston impression. If we aren't, I am fearful that all of our gun rights might end up on the chopping block.

If you look at trends, you are exactly correct. This goes for many key, important social and political issues. The inability of people to bend, will eventually mean something must break. Is this that “breaking point?” We’re pretty close.

Discussing these things on an Internet Jeep forum is an exercise of futility. The majority of those posting here are in the vast minority of the country that wants to see/support no changes.

Top Bottom