PSC Ram assist 2014 JKU

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the update. I am not sure how difficult this will be to duplicate, but I'll have to ask if this can be copied when mine is installed later this month.

SaddleTramp

I wanted to dust this one off with an update and another option that may work for some folks.

I’ve been running the PSC hydro assist over the last year with mixed results using the stock reservoir and airbox on a 2014. My setup would work great for a few days then I’d get air into the system, bleed it, and it would work good again for a few days and then more air…. blah,blah. Two pumps later and it was thought that the feed line from the reservoir and how it looped under the airbox then back uphill into the pump (think swan neck) may have been a spot for air to accumulate and get sucked through the pump and into the system.

Initially we started looking at ways to be able to use the larger PSC reservoir in the stock location and I had posted an option (above in this thread) that was considered but after we looked at it, the longer PSC reservoir with the stock airbox would only make the uphill climb for a gravity feed system greater. I have also seen the newer PSC pics where they run the feed line straight through the airbox but didn’t want to cut into it as an option just yet with our desert dust.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I saw some pictures on the interwebs where a dual battery tray was used as a place to mount the larger PSC reservoir and by cutting a hole in the tray right above the pump it allows a short and direct straight downhill shot for the feed line right into the pump.

I talked to Drew and the good folks at Off Road Evolution about trying this idea and of course they said they could make it happen. Picked up my rig a couple days ago and so far what a difference!! No stiffness, no delays at low idle turning lock to lock like when maneuvering to park and a lighter (in a good way) feel overall. **Full disclosure, this is also with a new PSC pump (3rd one) and steering box (2nd one) too and Drew noted that the steering gear and ported valve box was a different design than what I had and what they've seen prior.

Obviously I’ve lost the ability to add a 2nd battery but I felt that good steering and keeping the stock air box in our dust was more important than more amps. I know others who are running the factory res without problem but mine has always been up and down. So far SoCal traffic home and a few hundred I-15 miles home a couple nights ago have been the only test so far, but fingers crossed, this may be a great option. I’ll update how this continues to work but so far it's awesome, really feels like I always thought the hydro assist should feel.

Special thanks to the team at Off Road Evolution for all of the help and the great work!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422755955.635363.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422755971.184436.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422755983.598032.jpg

Last edited:
I know this is on my '07 but it might still apply to you. As you can see by the pics, my res is mounted to the top of my dual battery tray. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422756539.906150.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422756562.253312.jpg

SaddleTramp

I know this is on my '07 but it might still apply to you. As you can see by the pics, my res is mounted to the top of my dual battery tray

Looks great, I'd seen others with the 3.8 put them there but the 3.6 is so tight. I still have thought about trying to look closer at it now that it's all in there to see if there is a way to still do a 2nd battery but I think it'd be really tough with the 3.6, maybe if the 2nd battery was a smaller one?

As long as the steering works reliably, I'm happy to sacrifice a 2nd battery option.

I have gotten really good though at bleeding these systems if anyone needs any tips, ;-). Wife and 8 yo son have it down too!

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I wanted to dust this one off with an update and another option that may work for some folks.

I’ve been running the PSC hydro assist over the last year with mixed results using the stock reservoir and airbox on a 2014. My setup would work great for a few days then I’d get air into the system, bleed it, and it would work good again for a few days and then more air…. blah,blah. Two pumps later and it was thought that the feed line from the reservoir and how it looped under the airbox then back uphill into the pump (think swan neck) may have been a spot for air to accumulate and get sucked through the pump and into the system.

Initially we started looking at ways to be able to use the larger PSC reservoir in the stock location and I had posted an option (above in this thread) that was considered but after we looked at it, the longer PSC reservoir with the stock airbox would only make the uphill climb for a gravity feed system greater. I have also seen the newer PSC pics where they run the feed line straight through the airbox but didn’t want to cut into it as an option just yet with our desert dust.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I saw some pictures on the interwebs where a dual battery tray was used as a place to mount the larger PSC reservoir and by cutting a hole in the tray right above the pump it allows a short and direct straight downhill shot for the feed line right into the pump.

I talked to Drew and the good folks at Off Road Evolution about trying this idea and of course they said they could make it happen. Picked up my rig a couple days ago and so far what a difference!! No stiffness, no delays at low idle turning lock to lock like when maneuvering to park and a lighter (in a good way) feel overall. **Full disclosure, this is also with a new PSC pump (3rd one) and steering box (2nd one) too and Drew noted that the steering gear and ported valve box was a different design than what I had and what they've seen prior.

Obviously I’ve lost the ability to add a 2nd battery but I felt that good steering and keeping the stock air box in our dust was more important than more amps. I know others who are running the factory res without problem but mine has always been up and down. So far SoCal traffic home and a few hundred I-15 miles home a couple nights ago have been the only test so far, but fingers crossed, this may be a great option. I’ll update how this continues to work but so far it's awesome, really feels like I always thought the hydro assist should feel.

Special thanks to the team at Off Road Evolution for all of the help and the great work!

View attachment 122088

View attachment 122089

View attachment 122090

Lucky......

Drew showed me the other day, sure looks sexy and makes me wish I'd done this instead of 2nd battery.

jeeeep

Hooked
i like the dual battery idea, my PSC is mounted next to the battery but it makes it a real PIA to get to the plugs and it still has the occasional hiccup on steering feel.

I'm considering getting the PSC steering box but waiting for 37's to see how it handles under a larger tire.

jk12blk

All the different brands would have that same issue then, correct?
I'm running the AGR Rockram system which uses the factory reservoir which means you can keep the factory airbox. So far so good. My system was professionally installed with a cooler.

SaddleTramp

I looked at this as an option and considered picking up a OEM airbox off eBay to try and cut and fab a way to get a straight downhill shot to the pump for the feed line. My thought was to then figure out a way to seal it back up with some plastic or aluminum sheeting but decided it was just easier and better to leave that alone.

I'm running the AGR Rockram system which uses the factory reservoir which means you can keep the factory airbox. So far so good. My system was professionally installed with a cooler.

I kept factory airbox too, that was the sticking point all along. I've also got a dual pass inline cooler as well.

KrawlerJK

Not sure if this is a problem with my psc with reservoir yet but when I went to Motech, Robbie was saying it was better to run this system closed loop without the res due to the fluid getting overheated and foaming up.

I wonder if this is only a problem if the line wasn't routed properly to allow a smooth gravity feed?

Thoughts?

Not sure if this is a problem with my psc with reservoir yet but when I went to Motech, Robbie was saying it was better to run this system closed loop without the res due to the fluid getting overheated and foaming up.

I wonder if this is only a problem if the line wasn't routed properly to allow a smooth gravity feed?

Thoughts?

Not sure...I've ran mine for a couple years with a reservoir and a inline cooler and haven't had one issue. No foaming or puking at all.

wetfootnw

In case you want dual batteries too.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/12-13-jeep-jk-high-volume-pump-kit.html

Edit: looks like wetfoot posted that link above.

Thanks MTG. I do have the new kit all installed now. I had the AIRAID CAI but that was a huge no go so I swapped back to a stock airbox. It's still a super tight fit for the reservoir and stock air box. I did have to trim the fins off both sides of the box and cut an estimated 2"x3" hole on the side to clear the corner of the reservoir. I did not have to cut a hole for the feeder hose like in the PSC pictures and have still an inch or so of clearance. I plan to patch up the airbox up this weekend and will take some pictures. To patch the hole I'm thinking some aluminum, thin plexi-glass or thicker plastic with some pop rivets and some silicon should do it? Any thoughts or pointers on how to patch that would be appreciated.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I installed the reservoir in the same spot as the original 2 years ago (2013 JKUR). To make it fit and route the feed line down hill I installed an aFe CAI. I was clueless about this CAI problem you guys are talking about.

Now I'm wondering if I'm living on borrowed time, but so far no issues with 36k miles since.

Dave

Top Bottom