Taking the Plunge!

Astroman

Now that goes above and beyond great customer service! That's simply extraordinary service!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes -- very uncommon these days. This is a rig he built for his wife and only has 10K on the odometer. He and his wife worked together in their driveway to empty the JL of their possessions and had me rolling down the freeway with a big grin on my face :D

Astroman

Awesome Jim...glad you got to make the trip...and styling it on the trail as well.

Thanks Ed. Even so, I still almost didn't make the trip.

I brought my 88 year old father-in-law, George, with me who developed some painful urinary symptoms the morning of the departure. I told him we're cancelling the trip and heading back so he could be comfortable and get medical attention. So I quickly headed over to the rendezvous location and sadly let the group know we had to bug-out. By the time I got back to the hotel room, George was determined to try to make the trip, and that he'd dealt with the discomfort with past flare ups. Besides, he said we could turn around any time if it became unbearable. So we took off toward Imlay on I-80, a two hour drive hoping to catch the convoy that had left 20 minutes earlier. At an effortless 90 mph (that turbo 4-banger is amazing!) we caught the convoy and joined the formation. George's symptoms subsided and we made the entire trip without incident -- things just kept working out.......which just means, statistically speaking, another "oh shit" is just around the corner :crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked
Thanks Ed. Even so, I still almost didn't make the trip.

I brought my 88 year old father-in-law, George, with me who developed some painful urinary symptoms the morning of the departure. I told him we're cancelling the trip and heading back so he could be comfortable and get medical attention. So I quickly headed over to the rendezvous location and sadly let the group know we had to bug-out. By the time I got back to the hotel room, George was determined to try to make the trip, and that he'd dealt with the discomfort with past flare ups. Besides, he said we could turn around any time if it became unbearable. So we took off toward Imlay on I-80, a two hour drive hoping to catch the convoy that had left 20 minutes earlier. At an effortless 90 mph (that turbo 4-banger is amazing!) we caught the convoy and joined the formation. George's symptoms subsided and we made the entire trip without incident -- things just kept working out.......which just means, statistically speaking, another "oh shit" is just around the corner :crazyeyes:

wow...I'm glad it worked out for both of you...

Ruvicon

Glad it all worked out Jim. So if you were to buy a new JL, what engine would you spec now that you’ve road tested the 4 banger? Does it have any off idle torque like you need when crawling rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Astroman

Have now had my Hemi-swapped JK back for two weeks but have been crazy busy with work and so updates to this build thread have not been first order of business.

First -- just a few random pics that I missed posting during the build process:

Just dropped off -- parting shots before the transformation began...

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

Opened up for the transplant....

IMG_4929.jpg

Disconnecting wires and hoses....

IMG_4926.jpg

Lifting the body.....

IMG_4924.jpg

Pentastar extraction....

IMG_4918.jpg

Now with some room to work....

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

New crate 6.4 from America's Most Wanted 4x4 mated to stock NAG-1transmission and transfer case -- and lowered onto the frame.....

IMG_4909.jpg
IMG_4910.jpg

More to follow.....

Brute

Hooked
Thanks Jim...how has your experience with this whole endeavor been...are you fully satisfied with the end result?

Astroman

Thanks Jim...how has your experience with this whole endeavor been...are you fully satisfied with the end result?

In the final analysis, Ed I am extremely satisfied.

Of course there was the longer than anticipated wait due to a part shortage (A/C line) from AMW 4x4 and then that part failing right after install, but shit happens.

The loaner they gave me actually was a better vehicle for the overlanding trip I went on (already equipped with rooftop tent and kitchen) , so couldn't have worked out any better! The guys held the agreed-to OTD price (already discounted) despite a few setbacks which necessitated extra labor. They delivered the vehicle to me, logging data from the re-programmed computer over the 300 mile journey to ensure everything behaved as it's supposed to.

The JK is now a beast -- a freakin' blast to drive and the sound........oh, the sound! First wheeling trip will be the Panamint Valley Days in November. Was supposed to leave for Moab tomorrow but had to cancel the trip due to work constraints.

Should have pulled the trigger on this awhile ago!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ughh.. I want one... and with AMW literally right around the corner, the temptation is real.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Astroman

First start milestone...we have ignition! Turn the volume up!

Start up for first test drive......again -- turn the volume up!

A little half-throttle acceleration testing (still breaking her in)!

I was going to go sleeper, but the exhaust gives her away instantly. So I thought this badge was a nice touch!

IMG_4938 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4938.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom