Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just note that when setting your caster, your also changing your pinion angle.

Unlike the rear, a properly aligned front end will always been a compromise between good positive caster and pinion angle. The more caster you have, the better your steering will feel at highway speeds but the more chance you will get drive line vibrations. A pinion angle that is in line with the front drive shaft will leave you with negative caster and that will give you terrible handling. About +4° or stock caster is the best you can really hope for.

Also, I noticed the write up goes from UCA's and skips to LCA's.

Adjustable LCA's are technically used to position your axle and the UCA's are used to set caster. If you can only afford to get one set, LCA's are much easier to install and make adjustments to. The write-up would still be the same only on the lower arms.

Overall great write up, I wish all the forums write ups were converted over here. Much easier to read and see pictures when printed off!

Glad to hear you like it better here. I intend to move them all over as time permits.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I just put psc kit on my jeep. On the back roads it feels quick steering and almost like it wants to over steer. At highway speeds it feel good though. This summer they told me my caster was at 3.2. Does this sound like I need to bring it to 4 or do I just need to get used to the hydro assist.

badassbrass

What about aev's drop brackets? I have a RC 3.25" 2.2.... Good alternative to adj arms.?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, drop brackets will rob you of significant clearance and right behind your front tires - a place that does get hit a lot. The brackets will help correct caster but, adjustable front lower arms will do that too and without robbing you of ground clearance.

munstie

I have 18 3/4 on passenger side and 18 1/4 on the driver side and the trackbar is as short as I can make it, should I be worried about this.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Jersey_Devil

Just installed a new teraflex adjustable front track bar. (tie rod has been bent since March with no problems) steering wheel was off on initial test drive after installation to make sure death wobble was gone. It was. So later on I goto the store and my esp bas and traction control lights came on and have stayed on since. I recentered the steering wheel but the lights are still on. Jeep drives straight as an arrow tho..... Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just installed a new teraflex adjustable front track bar. (tie rod has been bent since March with no problems) steering wheel was off on initial test drive after installation to make sure death wobble was gone. It was. So later on I goto the store and my esp bas and traction control lights came on and have stayed on since. I recentered the steering wheel but the lights are still on. Jeep drives straight as an arrow tho..... Any ideas?

You're Jeep driving straight as an arrow will have no bearing on your ESP/BAS. Being that this is a new problem, I would triple check your steering wheel to make sure it's dead on centered and then, unplug the negative lead on your battery for about 15 minutes. This will reset your computer. Give it another go and see if it comes back on. If it does, could be you have a loose or damaged speed sensor.

Jersey_Devil

All my speed sensors and abs module also were just replaced due to a different problem. I did unplug the batter for about twenty minutes and the lights stayed on as soon as I turned it back on. Could my bent tie rod do it?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All my speed sensors and abs module also were just replaced due to a different problem. I did unplug the batter for about twenty minutes and the lights stayed on as soon as I turned it back on. Could my bent tie rod do it?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

No, a bent tie-rod will not cause this problem. The ESP/BAS light will only come on IF it thinks you're in a slide. This will only happen if you are in a slide, have a steering wheel that is slightly off center or, have a faulty speed sensor. Being that you just had them replaced, I would double check the connections on them to make sure they are securely plugged in.

Jersey_Devil

The traction control and everything aren't engaging as I'm driving either. It drives just fine but I'll go double check the connections

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The traction control and everything aren't engaging as I'm driving either. It drives just fine but I'll go double check the connections

If the light is on, it means they are no longer working so what you are experiencing is correct.

Jersey_Devil

Guess I gotta do it... But the scanner will say if it's the wheel of center? . Well thanks for ur input I appreciate it!

Top Bottom