Build of Lone Star, the 1950 Cj3a

Lone Star

Just a quick update, gas tank came in the mail today, got it installed, finished up some wiring and got Harvey running today. Even took him for a little circle around the yard. But this triumph only leads to more projects. Next is to get the brakes working, and double check the transfer case gears, seems like it didn't want to go into 2wd but would go into 4wd. But I only had a few minutes to mess with it and had to be somewhere. So the next few days will give me more opportunity to really mess with it. Seats are still not in permanently, hopefully that will be worked out Thursday/Friday. But it was a good day! He runs pretty good surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Just a quick update, gas tank came in the mail today, got it installed, finished up some wiring and got Harvey running today. Even took him for a little circle around the yard. But this triumph only leads to more projects. Next is to get the brakes working, and double check the transfer case gears, seems like it didn't want to go into 2wd but would go into 4wd. But I only had a few minutes to mess with it and had to be somewhere. So the next few days will give me more opportunity to really mess with it. Seats are still not in permanently, hopefully that will be worked out Thursday/Friday. But it was a good day! He runs pretty good surprisingly.

Looks like it's coming along well, will be watching your progress

Lone Star

Had a few minutes before lunch so Harvey started right up and I was messing with the gears and looks like the 2wd is working fine for the most part, 4wd as well. So maybe I just knocked some things loose and old harvey just needs to stretch his legs a bit!

Lone Star

Worked on the jeep a little bit today, replaced my temp gauge.

Replaced ampmeter with a voltmeter, and also been working on my lighting issues. I wired a hot wire and directly tested my headlights, they work, so gutted all the rest of the wires and got a flip switch for the lights and will be working on rewiring all the lights. The jeep is running good! Got a few leaks underneath but nothing major yet, will need to get new gaskets and see if that does fix that on the oil pan.

Still haven't been able to work on the seats yet but that is coming. IMG_2315.jpg Image1505606167.586593.jpg

I do have a question. I need to get to my master brake cylinder, it's in a pretty tight spot on the frame rail jammed between my steering box and exhaust and heat shield. What's the best way to get to it, I figure first thing is to even check if there is fluid in it and try to get some brake pressure.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Responded to your PM but there should be a round cover plate on the floor of your Jeep next to the pedals. Remove it and you should have access to the MC.

Lone Star

Responded to your PM but there should be a round cover plate on the floor of your Jeep next to the pedals. Remove it and you should have access to the MC.

Thanks for the response Eddie! I came upon that discovery late last night. Ran out there In The dark and found it was only being held with one bolt, so I took it off, but the aluminum cap on the master cylinder is on there pretty tight and I couldn't get my crescent wrench in there with the right angle to do anything, so I picked up a long 12 point 1 1/8" wrench this morning. I'll try and see if that will work to loosen the cap up and hopefully make some headway in discovering if I have any brakes or not.

Lone Star

Just an update from today, did a lot of work on the jeep today, and the past couple of days. First off covered up some bare spots on front fender sanded it down and primed it and painted flat black. Continued to pull rink liner off tub some crack spots and what not and found someone was bondo happy. Thinking I might just sand down the cracking spots and fill back in for now and cover with primer and black paint till I get more ambitious. But I was curious to see what was underneath. IMG_2502.jpg IMG_2491.jpg IMG_2492.jpg IMG_2503.jpg IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2511.jpg the passenger side back panel and side are the worst it looks like, someone did some bad patch jobs. Not sure if I'd be better off at the moment to rebondo and cover up for he time being or try to do some patch work myself and do it better, or cover back up and look at just replace the whole rear panel later. Not sure yet. There's some more on the bottom at the crease in the side.

But prob just cover back up for now and tackle it later down the road. But also made some good progress with the seat frame getting it in today, almost done. IMG_2500.jpg IMG_2501.jpg IMG_2504.jpg cut off the hinges to the compartment under the seat and will reattach it in a way that I can slide the lid out from underneath to be able to access the new bolts for the seat frame. 45'd the rear corners and moved attatched to points to the center to allow for more clearance in the wheel wells. IMG_2505.jpg IMG_2508.jpg IMG_2509.jpg

Still haven't been able to fix the breaks, rented a hub puller from oreillys and didn't fit. So I might be able to get a hold of one from a friend this week then I can get access to the wheel cylinder and get it fixed to bleed the brakes. Almost there.

Also did some more wiring, strmarted adding a fuse box and added a 12v charging port into the dash. Have to get pics later.

RioGrandeJK

Good looking Jeep! Keep up the good work. Makes me regret giving up on and selling my 3B. Good call on sticking with the mechanical fuel pump. These things are designed to run something like 4 psi to the carb so it can sometimes be a headache to run an electric pump unless you have a regulator. That sucks the prev owner was bondo happy but it seems to come with the flattie territory. I think my 3B had 50 pounds of bondo on it.

Top Bottom