What can you guy's tell me about Riverside California?

RebelconJk

Soo... My wife and I may be relocating to Cali for a job offer that presented it's self to me earlier this week. Nothing is set in stone yet, just wanted to get a feel for the area from some folks that live out that way. What are the fender regulations and inspections/ emissions required on vehicles in that area? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

Thanks Guys, and Gals,

Warren

any4xx

I remember when my daughters lived there about twenty years ago. I was visiting them and saw an article in the local paper exclaiming the dramatic drop in auto thefts that year. Only 1,600 cars stolen in Riverside in the first six months of that year. But they have nice weather....

any4xx

Oh.... and if you DO move out here, let me send you some $$$ first so you can buy a couple of off-roster pistols before you come. ;-)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have to live in the City of Riverside or could you just live around there? There are parts of Riverside that are nice but there are some that aren't. Plenty of nice areas nearby and there is a lot of good wheeling in SoCal.

RebelconJk

Do you have to live in the City of Riverside or could you just live around there? There are parts of Riverside that are nice but there are some that aren't. Plenty of nice areas nearby and there is a lot of good wheeling in SoCal.

No, we wouldn't have to live in Riverside. As long as i'm 35-45min away i'll be good, we were looking in the San Bernardino, Yucaipa, Cherry Valley area as well. Any suggestions on cool places to live around that area would be great!

any4xx

In all seriousness: If you value freedom and can avoid CA, I wouldn't make the move. The common theme here is to regulate everything. Whether owning a gun, off-roading, motorcycling, or just trying to enjoy yourself in a park, everything you do seems to come under state law. The weather is our only redeeming quality.

SoCal does have some beautiful areas. But unless your new job is paying you over $200K you'll have a hard time living in any of them. I'd trade you for Tennessee in a minute if I could pry my wife out of here.

Tom

CookieMonsterJK

Our ohv areas are under attack again. Welcome to the state of taxes fees and no common sense.

Yucaipa is beautiful and the city has really grow and same with cherry valley/Beaumont. San Bernardino has some really bad neighborhoods. Beaumont and Yucaipa. The + side to being in those areas is you are 30 minutes away from big bear and there are a ton of trails to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Soo... My wife and I may be relocating to Cali for a job offer that presented it's self to me earlier this week. Nothing is set in stone yet, just wanted to get a feel for the area from some folks that live out that way. What are the fender regulations and inspections/ emissions required on vehicles in that area? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

Thanks Guys, and Gals,

Warren

Cost of living compared to TN is insane. 30-45 minute commute time could mean 2 miles. 😂

Fenders need to cover the tire. Smog inspection every 2 years. Don't know if your Jeep has been altered, and don't know if Jeeps sold outside of CA have lesser emissions equipment, but CA has the strictest emissions laws in the US as far as I know. I'm guessing you'd have to go to a referee to transfer registration for the first time, but once it's passed, as long as you don't change anything, the smog inspection is just a visual to make sure nothing has been tampered with plus the emission test/computer scan. They don't check for busted windows or lights or stuff like that that I've heard other states complain about. They leave that stuff up to the cops to ticket you on. 😂

Agree with the guy who said stay away from CA if you value freedom and keeping your money in your pocket. I'm trying to get out of here myself... The state is bad and is getting worse every year. 😠

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

mo0s3

Thanks Guys, and Gals,

Warren

I live in Riverside CA.
It's nice in the Orangecrest woodcrest areas. A lot of jeeps out here are owned by Riverside PD so they do not mess with me at all and I have the fender deletes from crawler concepts IMG_5846.jpg
I will say cost of living is high and traffic blows. But if your working in Riverside it won't be a issue.
They are a lot of great trails out here as well, big Bear, Johnson Valley, Calico are just some of them .
Good luck on your decision bud hope this helped a bit .

MOX4x4

My first thought was, and that's the place to go to get away from the crowds. Knuck knuck knuck. I have spent a lot of time in southern Cali, and it's a crowd everywhere you go. Granted I have not spent any time on the trails.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Somtimes thats where the fun is.... That first picture was on the 4th of July, the community gows about 4x that weekend. Canyon Lake is a gated community, so, this is the typical day on the lake.

canyon lake2.JPG

AirborneVet

Yucaipa is beautiful and the city has really grow and same with cherry valley/Beaumont. San Bernardino has some really bad neighborhoods. Beaumont and Yucaipa. The + side to being in those areas is you are 30 minutes away from big bear and there are a ton of trails to enjoy.

Totally agree, I wouldn't consider San Bernardino. It was labeled "California's most dangerous city" in a report based on FBI data last year. Yucaipa is good... and there's a local Jeep shop that does excellent work. A new one just opened up near me here in Riverside too.

Menifee is good (used to live there). Canyon Lake is good too. Banning, Beaumont, Redlands, Loma Linda. It really depends on where your job actually is and how much time you want to spend in traffic. The 91 has notoriously shared the title of worst traffic with the Washington D.C. Beltway. They are just finishing construction which should help, but we have to wait and see. The 215/60 can be a nightmare too. Commuting hours of course.

My wife and I live just close enough to Riverside to be close to everything, but in an area that feels like it's in the country. If you want specific areas in Riverside to look... I'd check out Mission Grove, Orangecrest, Woodcrest, Canyon Crest and off of La Sierra between the 91 and Lake Matthews. Stay away from Casa Blanca. Send me a PM if you'd like... glad to help.

As far as emissions... your Airaid should have a CARB number and your MBRP cat back should be okay. But any other performance mods, unless they come with a CARB number, are pretty much paper weights.

Last edited:

RebelconJk

Totally agree, I wouldn't consider San Bernardino. It was labeled "California's most dangerous city" in a report based on FBI data last year. Yucaipa is good... and there's a local Jeep shop that does excellent work. A new one just opened up near me here in Riverside too.

Menifee is good (used to live there). Canyon Lake is good too. Banning, Beaumont, Redlands, Loma Linda. It really depends on where your job actually is and how much time you want to spend in traffic. The 91 has notoriously shared the title of worst traffic with the Washington D.C. Beltway. They are just finishing construction which should help, but we have to wait and see. The 215/60 can be a nightmare too. Commuting hours of course.

My wife and I live just close enough to Riverside to be close to everything, but in an area that feels like it's in the country. If you want specific areas in Riverside to look... I'd check out Mission Grove, Orangecrest, Woodcrest, Canyon Crest and off of La Sierra between the 91 and Lake Matthews. Stay away from Casa Blanca. Send me a PM if you'd like... glad to help.

As far as emissions... your Airaid should have a CARB number and your MBRP cat back should be okay. But any other performance mods, unless they come with a CARB number, are pretty much paper weights.

Thanks, for all the info i really appreciate it! :thumb:

RebelconJk

I live in Riverside CA.
It's nice in the Orangecrest woodcrest areas. A lot of jeeps out here are owned by Riverside PD so they do not mess with me at all and I have the fender deletes from crawler concepts View attachment 248574
I will say cost of living is high and traffic blows. But if your working in Riverside it won't be a issue.
They are a lot of great trails out here as well, big Bear, Johnson Valley, Calico are just some of them .
Good luck on your decision bud hope this helped a bit .

Thanks for the help, i have those same fenders on my jeep, in the 2-door version on my jeep and i was worried about it.

Trail JK

I kind of want to belly laugh that you're asking about the area and your concern is mudflaps.

In terms of really wanting to know about the area I guess it would depend on what you value and your budget. There are a lot of nice areas in the Inland Empire and others I would stay away from. If you want a little bit more space consider Cherry Valley or maybe Norco. Most of the nicer areas in the I.E. have very small properties such as Chino hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland. Traffic is always an issue so if your commute isn't relevant right now it will become relevant. There is great weather and wheeling in and throughout Southern California but it comes at a cost.

Top Bottom