Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no engineer, but from real world experience with my wife, she is not a happy camper if I use the same torque unlubricated as I would lubricated.

:cheesy: I totally missed this until piginajeep bumped it :cheesy:

mastrcruse

Hey Eddie,

Got my bolts and rings back from powercoating and was looking over your write up to prepare to do this tomorrow/saturday. Quick question, you mentioned 4 longer, silver starter bolts. I never noticed any different type of bolt when I received the hardware packets. I just lined them up and none of them seem to be longer than others. Were your starter bolts noticeably longer?

On the TR website it describes the hardware package as but if the starter bolts is something you recommend to make the job easier I wanted to confirm..any tricks and tips to make it easier.

Parts included: example is HD17
1) Wheel
2) Aluminum Clamp Ring
3) 24 ea. 1-1/4” 5/16” grade 8 bolts
4) 24 ea. Plated 5/16” Washers
5) 1 ea. Valve stem

Thanks!

Attachments

• bolts.jpeg
    bolts.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,

Got my bolts and rings back from powercoating and was looking over your write up to prepare to do this tomorrow/saturday. Quick question, you mentioned 4 longer, silver starter bolts. I never noticed any different type of bolt when I received the hardware packets. I just lined them up and none of them seem to be longer than others. Were your starter bolts noticeably longer?

Thanks!

Yup, they were noticeably longer. I should note, I included that info because it was on their instructions but I didn't think they were really needed. Probably depends on the tire you're working with.

mastrcruse

Yup, they were noticeably longer. I should note, I included that info because it was on their instructions but I didn't think they were really needed. Probably depends on the tire you're working with.

Interesting! There isn’t a single bolt that looks an ounce longer than any other haha! I’m working with 40-13.5 Trail Grapplers which don’t require The spacer so I think I should be good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting! There isn’t a single bolt that looks an ounce longer than any other haha! I’m working with 40-13.5 Trail Grapplers which don’t require The spacer so I think I should be good.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine without them.

Brute

Hooked
Exactly! :thumb:

Being that wet values are always LESS and by a considerable amount, tightening to dry values WILL leave you with bolts that have been over-torqued. This is one of the main reasons why guys end up with broken bolts.

This is correct...in my business, most torque values are in inch/lbs, and all fasteners are lubricated with specific lubricants...with no allowance for variation due to viscosity differences.

On another note...all analog torque wrenches are completely inaccurate for the first 20% span of scale...in other words, a 0-100 ft/lb torque wrench is not accurate for the first 20 ft/lbs...you cannot use the same torque wrench you tighten lugs nuts with that you do bead lock rim bolts...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You can pick up starter bolts from Home Depot. Just bring that size you have and buy two or three. I usually use them on new tires that are really stiff. Once the are used there really is no need to use the longer bolts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is correct...in my business, most torque values are in inch/lbs, and all fasteners are lubricated with specific lubricants...with no allowance for variation due to viscosity differences.

On another note...all analog torque wrenches are completely inaccurate for the first 20% span of scale...in other words, a 0-100 ft/lb torque wrench is not accurate for the first 20 ft/lbs...you cannot use the same torque wrench you tighten lugs nuts with that you do bead lock rim bolts...

Yup! It’s best to have a torque wrench for all the different ranges you may need. I know I have at least three different ones for the values I need to hit.

mastrcruse

Got my first one done. Was a bad install but it was tedious for my first time. They’ll go faster (this one took 45 minutes).

Question...I didn’t hear a “pop” when the rear bead seated. The tire is holding 30 psi and has no leaks (tested with soap). Does a pop always happen? Did I do something wrong? Tried to picture the rear bead and you can see the wheel seated in the bead.

Attachments

• 19E42871-5B79-4E35-B4BC-003929F2B7EE.jpg
    19E42871-5B79-4E35-B4BC-003929F2B7EE.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 118

mastrcruse

Here isn’t the front bead. I would say it sits deeper into the tire and goes a little bit past the ribbed section of the tire.

Attachments

• DEFFC211-C336-438B-80DB-A03508225F87.jpg
    DEFFC211-C336-438B-80DB-A03508225F87.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 117

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Got my first one done. Was a bad install but it was tedious for my first time. They’ll go faster (this one took 45 minutes).

Question...I didn’t hear a “pop” when the rear bead seated. The tire is holding 30 psi and has no leaks (tested with soap). Does a pop always happen? Did I do something wrong? Tried to picture the rear bead and you can see the wheel seated in the bead.

Looks good, you won't always hear a pop.

mastrcruse

Awesome! Thanks guys! This has been a ton of help!

First one is complete and nearly through the 2nd. Color combo came out exactly how I wanted it. Anvil inner, black ring, pink bolts.

Attachments

• 2849A367-55AD-4012-A68D-DF54B133F955.jpg
    2849A367-55AD-4012-A68D-DF54B133F955.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 0F57DC7C-9CF9-4D4E-AA19-0A1D12AE5958.jpg
    0F57DC7C-9CF9-4D4E-AA19-0A1D12AE5958.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom