CJ buggy build

klungly

20180102_160452.jpg the seat brackets were final welded in today and the tubing under between the a and b pillars is almost done getting welded in. Put the steering column adapter on the orbital valve and was playing around with where to mount it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

Had to notch the frame for control arm clearance. The driver's side notch is done and needs to be boxed. I'm doing a whole side at a time to keep from weakening the frame too much. 20180103_161808.jpg 20180103_183615.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
I put a tire on for the hell of it. It's gonna be awesome. View attachment 288271

If that's not motivation to push you towards completion I don't know what is.
I wish I was helping you today. I spent all day hanging drywall on the ceiling. I hate drywall, [emoji24].

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I don't mind cutting and hanging it it's the mudding part that sucks. I was about 95% done with mine and called a guy who finished and had it ready for paint in less than 2 hours..haha

Before
IMAG0007.jpg

After
IMAG2593.jpg

This build is looking awesome I love when I get to see the updates.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

Thanks man. Your fire place is looking good! Those high ceilings don't look fun. We're slow at work and I'm tired of just looking at it. I'm shooting for late spring if my wallet can support lol.

klungly

I was debating moving the lower control arm frame brackets to about underneath the upper frame brackets. The tires made that decision for me when I checking the range of the knuckle with the tires on. Glad I decided not to weld them on yet. 20180103_210118.jpg 20180103_210129.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks man. Your fire place is looking good! Those high ceilings don't look fun. We're slow at work and I'm tired of just looking at it. I'm shooting for late spring if my wallet can support lol.

Thanks. Perched on the top of a 5' ladder (my 12' is loaned out) balancing a paint tray and working a brush and roller was fun...haha. Fortunately it was only a small portion and I got to get a couple rungs lower. Yeah I bet funding a build like that can add up. With your skills you're saving a lot though.

klungly

Thanks. Perched on the top of a 5' ladder (my 12' is loaned out) balancing a paint tray and working a brush and roller was fun...haha. Fortunately it was only a small portion and I got to get a couple rungs lower. Yeah I bet funding a build like that can add up. With your skills you're saving a lot though.

Hopefully you won't have to do again anytime soon. haha.

klungly

I resurfaced a brake rotor. The high speed steel in was using for the fly cutter didn't like rust and kept losing it's cutting edge. I tried an indexable end mill. The finish looks not great, but I can see myself in it. 20180105_215000.jpg 20180105_220154.jpg the 2" was a little too small. I got a 3" for Christmas but I didn't have the right arbor for and put one on order. Should be able to do the whole side in one pass with it. 20180105_220909.jpg

black pearl

Hooked
I resurfaced a brake rotor. The high speed steel in was using for the fly cutter didn't like rust and kept losing it's cutting edge. I tried an indexable end mill. The finish looks not great, but I can see myself in it. View attachment 288693 View attachment 288694 the 2" was a little too small. I got a 3" for Christmas but I didn't have the right arbor for and put one on order. Should be able to do the whole side in one pass with it. View attachment 288695

That's fun stuff right there! I've always wanted a mill like that, but I make do with my lathe.
Seems like your making some good progress. Looks good [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

Didn't get a lot of time to work today, got the new arbor and set up my mill better for resurfacing rotors. Also took out the old power steering pump. 20180106_153200.jpg 20180106_153226.jpg

klungly

Almost done boxing in the frame where I had to notch it. I had to fill in a spot and it looks terrible, but oh well. Resurfaced another rotor, not too happy with the surface finish but I think it'll do.

Driver's side 20180108_212208.jpg

Passenger side 20180108_212237.jpg 20180108_212257.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Almost done boxing in the frame where I had to notch it. I had to fill in a spot and it looks terrible, but oh well. Resurfaced another rotor, not too happy with the surface finish but I think it'll do.

It looks fine. It's a frame. If you spray it with some kind of undercoating, you won't even see the welds when it's all said and done. That stuff is thick enough to hide the work and also gets into crevices well to seal also.

klungly

It looks fine. It's a frame. If you spray it with some kind of undercoating, you won't even see the welds when it's all said and done. That stuff is thick enough to hide the work and also gets into crevices well to seal also.
I know no one will ever see it, but something in me still wants it to look good. But there are more important things to work on.

klungly

The frame looks good. Is it thin? Do you have other gussets or reinforcements you are going to add?

Thank you! The stock frame is two pieces stamped c channel, the outer is 3/16th and the inner is .100". Which is pretty thin. I had some 3/16" 2 x 6 rectangular tubing laying around and cut that up and tig welded it in. Some of the thin stuff was replaced with better material. I want to get my shock hoops figured out, probably end up redoing the front portion of the role cage. Then incorporate the notched frame section into the role cage. And put a 3/16" thick gusset on each side of the engine mounts.

klungly

My notches look pretty good with tires on. A little grinding is going to have to be done. The driver's side is a little too tight for comfort. The axle is set up for full compression. 20180110_205513.jpg

Top Bottom