Almost Tire Time

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is the great thing about Jeeping ! Choices for everyone, if everyone bought the same thing it would be boring.

You know, when it comes to things like colors, bumpers, rocker guards and the like, I totally get where you're coming from but when it comes to things like winches or in this case, tires, I want to buy what works best - PERIOD. If that means everyone and their mother starts to run the same thing, there's almost always a reason for it and that reason typically forces manufacturers to up their game and make something better. To me, this is a good thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully Goodyear will. It’s a shame about the MTR, because they make a lot of really good tires.

The original MTR's were a great tire for sure but I would argue that there are much better tires that were developed and exists today because of it. For instance, Toyo MT that came out after it proved to be strong, have better road manners, was quieter, came with siped lugs for better grip on slick surfaces and had longer tread life. Lots of manufacturers started to up their game as well and that forced Goodyear to go all out and completely redesign their MT. And, to be completely honest, I was sold. When it came out, it was kind of revolutionary and looked good too. I bought a set right away and really wanted to like it. Unfortunately, time and use proved otherwise.

Again, when it comes to tires, I couldn't care less if I was running what everyone else was running - I just need them to work and be the best in what they do or at least, for me anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Look up "....edited...." on youtube, you can watch her and a camel adjust LED headlights on a JL... I see how she influences purchasing.

I dunno, this is the internet and there are plenty of better places for a guy to jerk off to than YouTube. Afterwards, you can go wheeling with friends and see what really works and what doesn't and then use that information to influence your purchasing decisions.

GCM 2

:cheesy: You just can't make this shit up.

Mel had shared that photo with me a few years ago, he sent me a text saying “check this out, lol”. I guess this guy had come into his shop and was swapping out the MTR/K’s for probably Nittos(?), not sure. But anyway, this is what the shop guys found when pulling the tires.

And you already knew my thoughts on the MTR/K’s, like you I wanted to like them so much because in theory it was supposed to be an incredible concept of a tire design. Performance wise on the trail I thought they were decent, didn’t seem to be exceptionally great at anything, but on road manners were weird and the trouble to try and balance them were horrible. And of course waaaaayyyy back in April(?) 2012 on that weekend you, Cindy, Dave, Mel and I did the Florence Junction run, I went through 4 of 5 MTR/K 40”s, while the Toyos and Nittos you all ran survived the event. I was so over those sorry Goodyears.

I can’t speak on the Coopers, I haven’t run them. However knowing you well enough, I am certain that if the Coopers were not at least equal to or greater than Nittos or Toyos you would not run them if you did not believe in them.....even if Cooper was giving you an unlimited supply of free tires for life.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
Please do not direct members to competing sites.

I dunno, this is the internet and there are plenty of better places for a guy to jerk off to than YouTube. Afterwards, you can go wheeling with friends and see what really works and what doesn't and then use that information to influence your purchasing decisions.

It was an honest mistake, I went on youtube looking for something, saw some yoga pants & forgot why i was there... I will be more considerate when posting in the future

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please do not direct members to competing sites.

It was an honest mistake, I went on youtube looking for something, saw some yoga pants & forgot why i was there... I will be more considerate when posting in the future

It's all good and I appreciate it. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mel had shared that photo with me a few years ago, he sent me a text saying “check this out, lol”. I guess this guy had come into his shop and was swapping out the MTR/K’s for probably Nittos(?), not sure. But anyway, this is what the shop guys found when pulling the tires.

And you already knew my thoughts on the MTR/K’s, like you I wanted to like them so much because in theory it was supposed to be an incredible concept of a tire design. Performance wise on the trail I thought they were decent, didn’t seem to be exceptionally great at anything, but on road manners were weird and the trouble to try and balance them were horrible. And of course waaaaayyyy back in April(?) 2012 on that weekend you, Cindy, Dave, Mel and I did the Florence Junction run, I went through 4 of 5 MTR/K 40”s, while the Toyos and Nittos you all ran survived the event. I was so over those sorry Goodyears.

I can’t speak on the Coopers, I haven’t run them. However knowing you well enough, I am certain that if the Coopers were not at least equal to or greater than Nittos or Toyos you would not run them if you did not believe in them.....even if Cooper was giving you an unlimited supply of free tires for life.

LOL - In all fairness, my brand spankin new set of Toyo's were trashed after that run. Good times for sure though.

To this day, I still would say that 40x15.50 Toyo MT's, 40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers and 37x13.50 Toyo MT's have been without question, some of the toughest tires I've run to date. While I've not been a big fan of the 37x13.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, most of that is because of the strong pull to driver they have and their weaker sidewalls. That being said, I've found the 40x13.50 Trail Grapplers to be a totally different animal and would run them again in a heartbeat. As I think you've seen, the Cooper STT Pros get the job done, hook up great on the rocks and are at least as durable as the tires mentioned above. Of all the tires mentioned, they also have performed the best in snow and ice for me and of course, I love that they're made in the USA. But, like you said, I wouldn't be running them unless I thought they really worked well.

sm31

I drank the coolaid and bought a set of MTR-K's in 2012... certainly the most regrettable "mod" I have performed to date. While I never had sidewall issues, and mine even balanced OK, there should be a law against driving them between 10/1 and 5/31.

I began to realize I had made a terrible mistake on my first "snow" wheeling excursion (an inch...). Lateral traction was utterly absent. If the "trail" tilted more than 5 degrees to the side, I was sliding off. Fortunately, my wife was behind me in our Honda Pilot (on Firestone Destination A/T LE's) to pull me out of a bad situation with a tree on the side of the "trail" so I could go home and drown my sorrows. The shame I felt that day... :sigh:

But even after that I wanted to like the tires for awhile. It's hard to confront a "bad" $1500 decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I drank the coolaid and bought a set of MTR-K's in 2012... certainly the most regrettable "mod" I have performed to date. While I never had sidewall issues, and mine even balanced OK, there should be a law against driving them between 10/1 and 5/31.

I began to realize I had made a terrible mistake on my first "snow" wheeling excursion (an inch...). Lateral traction was utterly absent. If the "trail" tilted more than 5 degrees to the side, I was sliding off. Fortunately, my wife was behind me in our Honda Pilot (on Firestone Destination A/T LE's) to pull me out of a bad situation with a tree on the side of the "trail" so I could go home and drown my sorrows. The shame I felt that day... :sigh:

But even after that I wanted to like the tires for awhile. It's hard to confront a "bad" $1500 decision.

Trust me, more than a few of us have been there. Sucks for sure but better to figure it out and move on than to be in denial and keep dealing with it.

Top Bottom