Starting over from scratch with a JKUR, the rise of Tonto

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
and for my next trick...finding the best way to get this expensive ass, color matched hardtop on and off easily and safely without destroying it. Especially on days when I don't have the extra hands available to remove it. :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:
You have a garage right??

4x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Lag-Thread-Screw-Eye-806926/204273852

And

1x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-12-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0829/206802316

:thumb:

I used a total of 6 eye bolts, a 2x6 cut to the width of the hardtop and stapled some outdoor carpet to the ends as padding for the 2x6... I can raise and lower solo with ease. just takes a little back and forth...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...y-Build-Thread?p=793518&viewfull=1#post793518

Last edited:

Kyle7R

You have a garage right??

4x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Lag-Thread-Screw-Eye-806926/204273852

And

1x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-12-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0829/206802316

:thumb:

I used a total of 6 eye bolts, a 2x6 cut to the width of the hardtop and stapled some outdoor carpet to the ends as padding for the 2x6... I can raise and lower solo with ease. just takes a little back and forth...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...y-Build-Thread?p=793518&viewfull=1#post793518
I've been thinking about that off and on, we do have a garage... but it has 12 foot ceilings. Just a little worried about the top sitting there dangling with a bunch of slack in the straps.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've been thinking about that off and on, we do have a garage... but it has 12 foot ceilings. Just a little worried about the top sitting there dangling with a bunch of slack in the straps.

Take it all the way up to ceiling, and throw the excess on top of the top?

Kyle7R

Take it all the way up to ceiling, and throw the excess on top of the top?

I meant more of not being able to ratchet it the extra few feet to the top of the ceiling, lol.

I might give it a try this weekend, I've got plenty of heavy duty ratchet straps laying around.

How to you keep it from completely crashing down after releasing the tension on those straps?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I meant more of not being able to ratchet it the extra few feet to the top of the ceiling, lol.

I might give it a try this weekend, I've got plenty of heavy duty ratchet straps laying around.

How to you keep it from completely crashing down after releasing the tension on those straps?

Hold the top with one hand. Its light while the rest of it is supported the top only seems so heavy because its awkward, and just work your way up/down. I had to get my wife to completely redo the ratchet straps twice as I inched towards the ceiling because they kept running out of spool. but still, it was easy. I lifted mine from the ground the first time. NOT the back of the jeep. it is MUCH easier off the back of the jeep! :doh:

Last edited:

tdougherty81

and for my next trick...finding the best way to get this expensive ass, color matched hardtop on and off easily and safely without destroying it. Especially on days when I don't have the extra hands available to remove it. :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Sell it and get your self a twill soft top.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I will 2nd the ratchet strap idea. Did that with mine, I would recommend cutting the excess strap off and melting the ends. If you pull it off the back of the Jeep you will only need about 6-8 feet of strap, not 15.

Kyle7R

20170728_191237.jpg

Top is off.

I'm not crazy about it, but it's functional and secure. Need to figure out a simpler way to get it higher up towards the ceiling.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I've seen people run winches or even hand winches to make it a little easier. I would feel uneasy storing my hard top like that, though. I just put mine in the backyard and run my soft top in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Alright Kyle... I got you!

20171006_165916.jpg

20171006_165756.jpg

20171006_165814.jpg

20171006_165822.jpg

I needed to work my way up. (I lifted it from the floor)

show the wife/or a friend how to lace the ratchet straps, then slowly lift the top up as high as the ratchets will allow. Once there, you hold the top in the corner to be worked on, and have your helper undo that strap and re-lace it with a few wraps and couple more clicks then move on to the next. Go around all 4 corners restarting the straps. then work your way lifting it again. Keep doing it until it's as high as you want it. Ash and I got ours from the ground to about 3-4" from the ceiling with relative ease and it is MUCH more stable now that the straps holding it up are nice and short :thumb:

Edit: I just now saw this post. Sorry, 3 months late... I really need notifications to work... not sure why it doesn't anymore... Anyway, hope you figured it out. If not, try the above once the snow melts. Lol

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

Kyle7R

Alright Kyle... I got you!

View attachment 278727

View attachment 278728

View attachment 278729

View attachment 278730

I needed to work my way up. (I lifted it from the floor)

show the wife/or a friend how to lace the ratchet straps, then slowly lift the top up as high as the ratchets will allow. Once there, you hold the top in the corner to be worked on, and have your helper undo that strap and re-lace it with a few wraps and couple more clicks then move on to the next. Go around all 4 corners restarting the straps. then work your way lifting it again. Keep doing it until it's as high as you want it. Ash and I got ours from the ground to about 3-4" from the ceiling with relative ease and it is MUCH more stable now that the straps holding it up are nice and short :thumb:

Edit: I just now saw this post. Sorry, 3 months late... I really need notifications to work... not sure why it doesn't anymore... Anyway, hope you figured it out. If not, try the above once the snow melts. Lol

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread
Mine haven't been working either!

I'll definitely be doing this method once the hard top is off again. Which is probably next spring, seeing as they're saying we are getting snow this week!

Or until Santa brings me a soft top [emoji41]

Kyle7R

Bringing this back from the dead.

New updated front end.

20180612_202802.jpg

Currently debating just throwing 35's on, or jumping off the deep end to build it and run 37's

Top Bottom