EVO Skins came in!

Benito

Caught the Bug
I sprayed plastidip on the body after I had all the nurserts installed and the skins fitted. I had done this to my rocker skins and removed them about a year later to repaint them there was a considerable amount of dirt between the armor and the body panel, I peeled the plastidip and the rocker panel was undamaged, and the paint looked great.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I used silicone around the back side of each bolt hole on the skins and around the back side of the EVO logo, as well as across the top of the skins. I think EVO recommends in their instructions something like that. I know I for one hope to never remove mine I think it would be a pain in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Thanks everyone!

Being that I’m in AZ I was considering this install without sealant along the entirety of the skins. EVO’s instructions do state, “16. Place a bead of RTV silicone (for example, “The Right Stuff”) around the entire perimeter of the RockSkin, bolt holes and logo’s.” I can understand doing this in areas that get a lot of rain/snow.

It makes sense to be able to pull these as needed for new powder coat and cleaning.

I will be clamping, center punching and taking my time drilling the holes with the skins in place. The last time I did nutserts there were a couple misaligned holes. I definitely want to avoid that on the body.

USMC Wrangler

I just picked up six 4” clamps and some red loctite. I had to sign my life away to get the loctite for the first time ever. [emoji44]

USMC Wrangler

Were they just making sure you knew it was high strength rather than medium blue?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well, I was specifically asked, “What will you be doing with this?” I replied, “Locking threads, since it’s thread locker.” Apparently it’s sadly a popular thing to sniff nowadays. [emoji849]

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Nice! I actually like the EVO cutout better than the skull. I've used red locktite in the past to do the same thing as the plastidip but the later might be a better solution.

Eddie just to be clear are you using the Loctite on the threads or around the nutsert edge? I would think Loctite on the threads would maybe cause the nutsert to spin if you ever wanted to take them out. When I put mine in I hand tightened the screws in part way so could silicone around the nutserts went to remove one and I must have cross threaded it. It spun the nutsert.:doh: Full panic mode set in.. I'm like damn what do I do now. Couldn't get pliers or needle nose on the nutsert to hold it. So I had tube of super glue put a dab around the nutsert and it worked. Using the tool I pressed it on little tighter. Sorry for the long story.. :icon_crazy:

desertrunner

Eddie just to be clear are you using the Loctite on the threads or around the nutsert edge? I would think Loctite on the threads would maybe cause the nutsert to spin if you ever wanted to take them out. When I put mine in I hand tightened the screws in part way so could silicone around the nutserts went to remove one and I must have cross threaded it. It spun the nutsert.:doh: Full panic mode set in.. I'm like damn what do I do now. Couldn't get pliers or needle nose on the nutsert to hold it. So I had tube of super glue put a dab around the nutsert and it worked. Using the tool I pressed it on little tighter. Sorry for the long story.. :icon_crazy:
Pretty sure that's what he is talking about because that's exactly what I did. On my old Jeep I didn't use anything on the nutserts and some of the holes didn't line up perfect so when I went to tighten the bolts some of the nutserts spun. On my second go around I put some red locktight on the back of the nutserts before crimping them and didn't have a single issue with any of them spinning. Now what that does to the paint underneath I have no idea. I didn't use anything to seal around the edges either

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Pretty sure that's what he is talking about because that's exactly what I did. On my old Jeep I didn't use anything on the nutserts and some of the holes didn't line up perfect so when I went to tighten the bolts some of the nutserts spun. On my second go around I put some red locktight on the back of the nutserts before crimping them and didn't have a single issue with any of them spinning. Now what that does to the paint underneath I have no idea. I didn't use anything to seal around the edges either

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea I thought the same. And I gave up sealing the edges after the second one. Just making a big mess. I think I'll go back one day and plastidip the whole area that gets covered. Maybe a little color behind the EVO cutout .

Top Bottom