What was done to your rig this week?

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Looking good [emoji106]

Too bad I couldn't make it out with you.

This place is gold . We should come back soon

Nice. [emoji106]
Did you wheel anything other than that one rock?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope. Drove 2.5 hours there and just poser flexed before getting some lunch and heading home [emoji854][emoji23]

Naw drove around for 3 hours and hit every line I could find . Skipped the v notch tho given neither of us had been there before . Did a tad bit more bumper trimming as was still rubbing at full turn and stuffed . Should be good now .

Jeep was awesome on 37s and the machetes aired down to 8 had endless traction. My brothers FJ80 nicked a door panel going through a squeeze [emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiDave

Nope. Drove 2.5 hours there and just poser flexed before getting some lunch and heading home [emoji854][emoji23]

Yeah, I figured. [emoji1]

Naw drove around for 3 hours and hit every line I could find . Skipped the v notch tho given neither of us had been there before . Did a tad bit more bumper trimming as was still rubbing at full turn and stuffed . Should be good now .

Jeep was awesome on 37s and the machetes aired down to 8 had endless traction. My brothers FJ80 nicked a door panel going through a squeeze [emoji36]

👍
How's your brakes & steering?

Boudica

So I went to change out the stock differential covers this afternoon. It was the first nice day we've had in a while (which is necessary as my Jeep doesn't fit in the garage and the carport is uncovered). Everything was going great- all the tools were lined up, brand-new bottle of Permatex Right stuff, step-by-step instructions written out and in view (it was my first time doing this, I didn't want to forget anything).
Fill bolt removed, drain bolt removed, fluid is flowing out. Let that go for a bit, move on to removing the cover bolts with the hand ratchet...not budging. Tap the ratchet with a rubber mallet...not budging. Cheater bar...not budging. Crap.
I live out in the boonies. It's an hour round trip to Home Depot. Now I'm the proud owner of a Milwaukee impact wrench (well, and a new cordless drill, too, but that has no bearing on this story). Try the wrench with the charge it's got straight out of the box...not budging. Colorful metaphors are now flowing.
An hour later, with a fully charged battery, not a single bolt is budging. Evidently, whoever put on the covers at the factory owns stock in their gasket-making stuff. Looking at the bolts, the RTV has oozed up out of the bolt holes and around the edges of the bolts. It's squeezed out around the perimeter and I can peel dried lengths of it off.
So, since this is my DD and I have to go into work tomorrow, I had to refill the still-stock front differential after about forty-five minutes of trying to loosen the bolts with absolutely no success.
I'm headed to the dealership within the next two weeks for new tires. Hopefully they'll be friendly and use their air-impact wrench to loosen these bolts and then tighten to torque so I can get this done at home.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I don't have any beer in the house, so I came here to vent.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So I went to change out the stock differential covers this afternoon. It was the first nice day we've had in a while (which is necessary as my Jeep doesn't fit in the garage and the carport is uncovered). Everything was going great- all the tools were lined up, brand-new bottle of Permatex Right stuff, step-by-step instructions written out and in view (it was my first time doing this, I didn't want to forget anything).
Fill bolt removed, drain bolt removed, fluid is flowing out. Let that go for a bit, move on to removing the cover bolts with the hand ratchet...not budging. Tap the ratchet with a rubber mallet...not budging. Cheater bar...not budging. Crap.
I live out in the boonies. It's an hour round trip to Home Depot. Now I'm the proud owner of a Milwaukee impact wrench (well, and a new cordless drill, too, but that has no bearing on this story). Try the wrench with the charge it's got straight out of the box...not budging. Colorful metaphors are now flowing.
An hour later, with a fully charged battery, not a single bolt is budging. Evidently, whoever put on the covers at the factory owns stock in their gasket-making stuff. Looking at the bolts, the RTV has oozed up out of the bolt holes and around the edges of the bolts. It's squeezed out around the perimeter and I can peel dried lengths of it off.
So, since this is my DD and I have to go into work tomorrow, I had to refill the still-stock front differential after about forty-five minutes of trying to loosen the bolts with absolutely no success.
I'm headed to the dealership within the next two weeks for new tires. Hopefully they'll be friendly and use their air-impact wrench to loosen these bolts and then tighten to torque so I can get this done at home.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I don't have any beer in the house, so I came here to vent.

They shouldn’t be that tight. Try a little heat.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I figured. [emoji1]

[emoji106]
How's your brakes & steering?

Brakes are actually okay . Still going to get the pro grips eventually but they are now 2nd priority after a tie rod .

Steering seems fine for now too . Tie rod still straight . Steering wheel has to be recentered after every wheeling trip ... threw some blue loctite on last time and it still came loose again . 2 bolts don’t seem to do a good job holding it in place

BaddestCross

Brakes are actually okay . Still going to get the pro grips eventually but they are now 2nd priority after a tie rod .

Steering seems fine for now too . Tie rod still straight . Steering wheel has to be recentered after every wheeling trip ... threw some blue loctite on last time and it still came loose again . 2 bolts don’t seem to do a good job holding it in place

Are the clamps lined up with the split in the adjuster properly? If the bolts aren't perpendicular to the split, it doesn't tighten it down enough to hold it in place.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

A.J.

No torch of any kind, unfortunately.

Lol, a valid question, but I did triple-check that. I even tried tightening a little and then switching back to loosening to try to crack whatever seal is in there, and also to check my direction.

I’ve had pretty good luck with over tight bolts hitting them with a big blunt end brass drift punch or an old diff pin made into one. Good sized ball peen hammer and just hit the top of the bolt like your trying to drive it in to the case. Then try your impact again. Worth a try.

Top Bottom