2012 SEMA Special Operation Forces Vehicles of Choice

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the back corner of the Off Road Hall, there was a really cool display of vehicles that Special Operation Forces use in the field and, as you can guess, the first one in the line up was a standard AM General HMMWV...
main.php

Next up was a Polaris MV850 ATV...
main.php

Of course, that was followed up by a Kawasaki Teryex...
main.php

and last but not least, an armored up Toyota Hilux....
main.php

main.php

main.php

I'm sure this is no news to Greg but for the rest of us, go figure :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

Yep....

Those ARE my actual rigs I do most of my wheeling in. Although the newer Hilux's are not nearly as cool as the earlier models. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those ARE my actual rigs I do most of my wheeling in. Although the newer Hilux's are not nearly as cool as the earlier models. :thumb:

aside from everyone shooting at you, sounds like a fun job :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

aside from everyone shooting at you, sounds like a fun job :crazyeyes:

It's even better when you are stuffed into the vehicle, which is stuffed into an aircraft that is being shot at during the landing on an insertion. Now that gets you thinking about picking the right driving lines quickly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's even better when you are stuffed into the vehicle, which is stuffed into an aircraft that is being shot at during the landing on an insertion. Now that gets you thinking about picking the right driving lines quickly.

what, you mean to tell me you don't get use a spotter? :thinking::crazyeyes::cheesy:

GCM 2

what, you mean to tell me you don't get use a spotter? :thinking::crazyeyes::cheesy:

If you are in the GMV (HMMWV), your spotter is on the main gun up top in the turret. Back in the early days we never had doors so it was easier to self spot ;)

Attachments

• image-2981567866.jpg
    image-2981567866.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
GCM 2 said:
If you are in the GMV (HMMWV), your spotter is on the main gun up top in the turret. Back in the early days we never had doors so it was easier to self spot ;)

Nice AK... :yup:

Better yet, nice gun sling.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

damn, that's just badass there my friend. props to you and all you do :thumb:

Prime8

GCM 2 said:

Curious as to why you have an AK? Easier to use in dirty conditions?

GCM 2

Prime8 said:
Curious as to why you have an AK? Easier to use in dirty conditions?

I have an AK because the guy I got it from didn't need it anymore..... but that's another story that always gets better over the years ;) Anywho, the weapon helps me apply a long honored tactical tradition that applies to many things in life; "one is none, two is one, three is two.....". What that means is that if you only have one of an item, you basically have none because the laws of averages is sure to have it stop working, have it break, or you will lose it. So you carry two of certain things to ensure your survivability, or you may even carry three. In this case I already have a suppressed M4 carbine slung over my shoulder for doing my real fighting and distance work (my primary weapon), I have a 1911 pistol strapped to my right thigh (my secondary) and then the AK became a third weapon for urban operations, but actually has the likelyhood of being used first because it's sole purpose was for reaction to ambush and/or picking up the firing duties if my main gunner up top on the .50cal or mini gun needed to change ammo cans out because he went dry. This means no pause in returning fire towards the enemy's general direction while the main gun is down. As the driver, your duties are to DRIVE and not be involved in the rolling gun fight unless absolutely necessary.

J-S said:
I would guess that it's because AK's rarelly/never have stoppages

This does have a little merit to it :) AK's are built so cheap and are really such shit weapons because their machining tolerances are so loose, they rarely jam up, just keep on firing clean, dusty, muddy, wet, whatever. The best accuracy equals tight build tolerances, but means poor reliability in austere conditions. You have to find that sweet middle ground for combat guns.

but over the course of any war, conflict or event in the last 28 years or so, I have always come across one or two extra weapons.

Attachments

• image-57678127.jpg
    image-57678127.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1285245870.jpg
    image-1285245870.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-4068922177.jpg
    image-4068922177.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 74

Prime8

In your third picture... I recognize the M4 and the MP5, but what is that odd looking third weapon?

MpulseJK

GCM 2 said:
I have an AK because the guy I got it from didn't need it anymore..... but that's another story that always gets better over the years ;) Anywho, the weapon helps me apply a long honored tactical tradition that applies to many things in life; "one is none, two is one, three is two.....". What that means is that if you only have one of an item, you basically have none because the laws of averages is sure to have it stop working, have it break, or you will lose it. So you carry two of certain things to ensure your survivability, or you may even carry three. In this case I already have a suppressed M4 carbine slung over my shoulder for doing my real fighting and distance work (my primary weapon), I have a 1911 pistol strapped to my right thigh (my secondary) and then the AK became a third weapon for urban operations, but actually has the likelyhood of being used first because it's sole purpose was for reaction to ambush and/or picking up the firing duties if my main gunner up top on the .50cal or mini gun needed to change ammo cans out because he went dry. This means no pause in returning fire towards the enemy's general direction while the main gun is down. As the driver, your duties are to DRIVE and not be involved in the rolling gun fight unless absolutely necessary.

This does have a little merit to it :) AK's are built so cheap and are really such shit weapons because their machining tolerances are so loose, they rarely jam up, just keep on firing clean, dusty, muddy, wet, whatever. The best accuracy equals tight build tolerances, but means poor reliability in austere conditions. You have to find that sweet middle ground for combat guns.

but over the course of any war, conflict or event in the last 28 years or so, I have always come across one or two extra weapons.

That's just crazy man. Mad props to u Greg.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
MTG said:
LOL! So awesome!

Yeah...I definitely laughed at that one too.

Seriously though Greg, thank you (and anyone else on here who works for our country on foreign soil) for helping to make a safe and free country for my children to grow up in.

Top Bottom