A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

longarmwj

The power of mother nature never ceases to amaze me. Hearing first hand accounts of those who are living there and dealing with it though are amazing.

Y'all stay safe out there

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Wow that's pretty impressive. How has this impacted you so far? Where are you in relation to the flow and areas affected by it. I've been following the daily updates on youtube. The river of lava is crazy and just how its reshaping the coast line in the Kopoho Bay area.

For me personally, I’ve just had to change plans of where I’m camping this summer. However, thousands of people lost everything. I volunteer quite a bit at the local Vet Center in town and we took a mobile unit to the Pahoa shelter last week. It’s amazing and very sad seeing all the people living in tents around a sports complex and some cars packed floor to ceiling with whatever they could get out.

My dads house has been getting rocked everyday from all the quakes at the summit. The caldera is collapsing slowly.

Here’s what it used to look like:

IMG_6228.JPG

Here’s how it looks now:

IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6220.JPG

Keep in mind this is only a crater within the caldera. The crater is expanding fairly violently towards the caldera walls, and the tilt is still declining steadily.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Keep in mind this is only a crater within the caldera. The crater is expanding fairly violently towards the caldera walls, and the tilt is still declining steadily.

The scale of this is hard to fathom having never had to deal with anything like this. What is the expected outcome of all of this?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
The scale of this is hard to fathom having never had to deal with anything like this. What is the expected outcome of all of this?

Nobody really knows. Lots of speculation and theory but nothing is certain at this point. Some things are similar to previous eruptions but there are a lot of events happening that have not happened before in recorded history of Kīlauea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moose92YJ

All of this is so crazy to imagine being in Alabama. I certainly appreciate the updates seeing how it's progressing. Stay safe out there.

jesse3638

Hooked
For me personally, I’ve just had to change plans of where I’m camping this summer. However, thousands of people lost everything. I volunteer quite a bit at the local Vet Center in town and we took a mobile unit to the Pahoa shelter last week. It’s amazing and very sad seeing all the people living in tents around a sports complex and some cars packed floor to ceiling with whatever they could get out.

My dads house has been getting rocked everyday from all the quakes at the summit. The caldera is collapsing slowly.

Thanks for the updates. Yeah I've seen footage of the vacation lands area and the Lelani estates area and its absolutely incredible the devastation left behind. Green lake completely evaporated and filled in. I likened it to a slow motion wild fire and flood happening at the same time. Glad to hear you are ok and your dad's place is holding up.

Top Bottom