Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Eastwood, if there is one near, has some decently priced entry lvl and up mig welders. They also have beginner classes that run for 8 hrs on a Saturday don't know the exact schedule. I was thinking about taking one of their classes though. They also have stick and Tig welding classes.

Oreo_penguin536

IMG_0915.jpg

Go slow, then slow down more-listen for bacon -steady hand and remember to breathe

Practice practice practice practice practice practice then practice some more

If it looks like this then you ain’t half bad. First ever pipe to plate pass and I’m still learning after 3 years. You can always improve in welding.

Fell free to Pm me if you have any questions🤙🏾🤙🏾

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

Too funny. I held my breath in the beginning. Oreo_penguin nailed it. Slow and steady. Took me a few years to be “ commercially acceptable “ according to my boss at the time. Almost 40 years ago.

jesse3638

Hooked
LMAO this is so true. I can't count how many times I have seen new welders (myself included) hold there breath while running a bead. I never understood why, but it really does seam to be a natural thing to do.

I hold my breath when I weld galvanized. I know you're not really supposed to weld it without a proper respirator but have done small beads in well ventilated areas all holding my breath..haha. I'm no welder by trade but I try.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

Yep, welded pipe from chain link fences( galvanized) to make dune buggy framed. Don’t recommend using that pipe for that. Ahhh but I was young then. I too hold my breath for the galvanized stuff.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Yeah gotta love the galvanized "poisoning" I have had that head and stomach ache more than a few times. I have been told that drinking lots of milk will ease the effects, although I think just not breathing it to begin with is better [emoji6]

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
It's called metal fume fever. It is a real thing. Caused from over exposure to Zinc Oxide from burning the galvanized coating. Hot dipped galvanized metal is worse because the coating is much thicker to begin with.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Just started to learn how to weld. My father in-law is a welder so I spend half a day in his shop as he showed me the ropes. Too much fun! Just need to get a welder and start practicing at home. My neighbor has one and I actually got to use it to fix some stuff on my daughters Jeep. Too cool!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm guessing most of you use gas, but I've used flux core for years just due to the convenience of it. Obviously it's the ugliest of all methods. But a few months ago I found out there is an anti splatter spray that Lincoln makes. This stuff works really well. Although there still is some splatter and it's definitely not as clean as a gas weld, just a wire wheel takes any of the remaining splatter off. This stuff has saved me a lot of clean up time. It gets sprayed on your pieces before you weld.

0209191358.jpg

Before cleanup:

DSC01934.JPG

After cleanup:

DSC01930.JPG

USMC Wrangler

I'm guessing most of you use gas, but I've used flux core for years just due to the convenience of it. Obviously it's the ugliest of all methods. But a few months ago I found out there is an anti splatter spray that Lincoln makes. This stuff works really well. Although there still is some splatter and it's definitely not as clean as a gas weld, just a wire wheel takes any of the remaining splatter off. This stuff has saved me a lot of clean up time. It gets sprayed on your pieces before you weld.

View attachment 320605

Before cleanup:

View attachment 320606

After cleanup:

View attachment 320607

Nice! I need to get some of that for sure.

TrailHunter

Hooked

I’ve been using that stuff for years... well ever since I got my first welder (flux core) ... it works great. The little splatter balls fall right off your work area.

black pearl

Hooked

View attachment 320605

Before cleanup:

View attachment 320606

After cleanup:

View attachment 320607

I’ve used cooking spray in place of that stuff in the past.

MericaMade

I just picked up the Weldpro 210 and now need a helmet and consumables. What websites are you guys going to for that stuff and any recommendations on a welding helmet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom