PSC Performance Steering New Product Release To Be Early 2017

new product

To clear any confusion that link is not the new product release. Should be out in about 4 weeks

PSCJEFF:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From this post of Mel's I'm guessing the stronger steering box is less prone to failure in the absence of a ram.

A stronger box will be less prone to failure but without a ram assist, the odds of you bending a drag link as is shown in that image will be significantly higher. Without the ram, you will be muscling your drag link to the point of failure. A ram will greatly help "assist" in steering and reduce the force needed to turn your wheels.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
A stronger box will be less prone to failure but without a ram assist, the odds of you bending a drag link as is shown in that image will be significantly higher. Without the ram, you will be muscling your drag link to the point of failure. A ram will greatly help "assist" in steering and reduce the force needed to turn your wheels.

And I believe Mel mentioned the same albeit in less words saying he still recommended a ram for assistance.

Have you seen any issues with steering boxes and ram assist setups in the real world other than overheating?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And I believe Mel mentioned the same albeit in less words saying he still recommended a ram for assistance.

If that's true, I'm glad to hear it.

Have you seen any issues with steering boxes and ram assist setups in the real world other than overheating?

Ideally, you really want a ram to be mounted to the axle and have it pushing and pulling at the knuckle but most Dana 44 setups today have it mounted at the track bar mount and having it push and pull at the tie-rod. If you're running a factory tie-rod or one that isn't up to the task like a Metalcloak, your ram will exert enough force to bend it. This is a problem I've seen time and time again. With a tie rod that is strong enough like a Currie, you will be fine.

Also, if you have big flex, you really need to keep an eye on your hoses as over time, they can chaff against each other or on other components and over time, can fail. A compromised line isn't the end of the world but if you don't have a spare or don't have the means to cap things off, you are going to be left without any power steering. This can be extremely difficult to drive especially with big tires and/or on the rocks.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
If that's true, I'm glad to hear it.

Ideally, you really want a ram to be mounted to the axle and have it pushing and pulling at the knuckle but most Dana 44 setups today have it mounted at the track bar mount and having it push and pull at the tie-rod. If you're running a factory tie-rod or one that isn't up to the task like a Metalcloak, your ram will exert enough force to bend it. This is a problem I've seen time and time again. With a tie rod that is strong enough like a Currie, you will be fine.

Also, if you have big flex, you really need to keep an eye on your hoses as over time, they can chaff against each other or on other components and over time, can fail. A compromised line isn't the end of the world but if you don't have a spare or don't have the means to cap things off, you are going to be left without any power steering. This can be extremely difficult to drive especially with big tires and/or on the rocks.

I have the Currie with d44. I have had an issue in heavy rock crawling that I'm bending the steering ram shaft. That's why I'm going back and forth wether to get the xd60 which they mount it this way or the older pro rock 60 with the high steer and mount the ram to the knuckle. Advice would be helpful.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Currie with d44. I have had an issue in heavy rock crawling that I'm bending the steering ram shaft. That's why I'm going back and forth wether to get the xd60 which they mount it this way or the older pro rock 60 with the high steer and mount the ram to the knuckle. Advice would be helpful.

Clearly, I must not be playing hard enough because I've not had a problem with bending my PSC ram and I have it setup on a ProRock 44 with a Currie tie-rod. That being said, the high steer setup we have on Moby with the ram assisting at the knuckle was installed by EVO. I see no reason why you couldn't have an XD60 setup the same way being that it's essentially custom. I should also note that Dynatrac uses a different ram with their XD60 setup and can only assume that they've taken whatever issues you've had in the past into account. Of course, I couldn't say for sure being that I haven't run one before but, there's that to consider.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Clearly, I must not be playing hard enough because I've not had a problem with bending my PSC ram and I have it setup on a ProRock 44 with a Currie tie-rod. That being said, the high steer setup we have on Moby with the ram assisting at the knuckle was installed by EVO. I see no reason why you couldn't have an XD60 setup the same way being that it's essentially custom. I should also note that Dynatrac uses a different ram with their XD60 setup and can only assume that they've taken whatever issues you've had in the past into account. Of course, I couldn't say for sure being that I haven't run one before but, there's that to consider.

Thanks for the response, that really helps. Who knows, I could have hit on a rock and bent it that way, I just assumed it was from not having it set up ideally. Mel did comment to a post I made on his thread that he wished dynatrac would put a location to mount it to the knuckle on the XD

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response, that really helps. Who knows, I could have hit on a rock and bent it that way, I just assumed it was from not having it set up ideally. Mel did comment to a post I made on his thread that he wished dynatrac would put a location to mount it to the knuckle on the XD

It would be nice if the XD60 came with a mount on the axle housing that would allow you to install a ram that attached to the knuckle as that would be the better way to go but then, no axle housing I know of comes that way - not even the old ProRock 60. Just because the XD60 comes with a ram assist mount built into it doesn't mean you have to use it. If it is a concern, I would just have a custom mount welded on. :yup:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

From what I've always heard, you want the ram mounted perpendicular to the tie rod. If you have too much angle on it, then this might happen. You might want to relocate the ram end onto a custom axle mounted bracket to help keep it in line with the tie rod and minimize the risk of bending the shaft.

I'm assuming you meant Dynatrac uses different knuckle design on the XD60 rather than a different ram. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming you meant Dynatrac uses different knuckle design on the XD60 rather than a different ram. ;)

Nope, I was referring to the ram. They use a different PSC ram size than what you'd use on a ProRock 44 or a ProRock 60 with an EVO high steer setup. The XD60 mount is located on the track bar mount and is designed to be used with clamp on the tie-rod.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Nope, I was referring to the ram. They use a different PSC ram size than what you'd use on a ProRock 44 or a ProRock 60 with an EVO high steer setup. The XD60 mount is located on the track bar mount and is designed to be used with clamp on the tie-rod.

Ahh, gotcha! :thumb:

Top Bottom