Which hood latches

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Can’t go wrong with the daystar replacement straps or the rugged ridge latch’s. Both are strong. Just depends if you like the OEM look or want something other than stock

WJCO

Meme King
On my way back from Colorado the wind would get under the hood and stretch out the rubber latches to the point that I thought they would snap. I’m looking for a replacement set that will correct this problem. Ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Merged thread here. Lots of different products solve the problem.

fusion_jeff

I was talking with a friend from a local club about hood flutter a while ago. His solution has worked way better than I thought it would. All you need to do is remove the hood pop-up spring. It makes opening the hood slightly more difficult, but the flutter is completely gone now with out switching out the stock straps. Just a free alternative. If you don’t like it, put the spring back and go pickup some pretty metal hood latches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobNH

Daystar here as well. Well worth the minimal cost, and super easy to install.
Ibhad heard of the spring trick working, but my hood came up a considerable distance so I never bothered with that, since the wind lifts it and the straps stop it, they were way beyond worn out that I figured it would not work anyway. I think that method depends on how bad/worn the straps are. Who knows, glad it works for some as free is a good price. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kep01

First of all thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I am currently looking at the options and will order a set this week. Thanks again.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Daystars are great. The instructions do warn that it needs to be at least 70 degrees to install. Not an issue now, but for a winter install can be an issue.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
On my way back from Colorado the wind would get under the hood and stretch out the rubber latches to the point that I thought they would snap. I’m looking for a replacement set that will correct this problem. Ideas ?

This exact thing happened to me on the way through OK.
IMG_3208.jpg
I went with the aluminum Rugged Ridge latches, but also considered the Daystar. I was worried the Daystar would wear out over time as well though.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have never experienced hood flutter and figured aftermarket hood catches were just for aesthetics. But then I saw the posts above re failures of the stock catches and decided to blow my 20% eBay coupon on the Rugged Ridge ones. I saw a friends, and they look pretty solid.

Tanktitan

I have followed this thread as I have had major flutter issues, as most anyone has, when they pass simi’s on two lane roads (especially simi’s with irregular shaped trailers as they cause a good deal of air disturbance). My question, without re-reading the whole thread is this, has anyone ever personally experienced a true latch failure?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
This exact thing happened to me on the way through OK.
View attachment 303177
I went with the aluminum Rugged Ridge latches, but also considered the Daystar. I was worried the Daystar would wear out over time as well though.

^^^^^^^he did
I have followed this thread as I have had major flutter issues, as most anyone has, when they pass simi’s on two lane roads (especially simi’s with irregular shaped trailers as they cause a good deal of air disturbance). My question, without re-reading the whole thread is this, has anyone ever personally experienced a true latch failure?

jesse3638

Hooked

Remove the hood spring it helps a lot. Plus it makes Drew happy...haha

Edit: I saw fusion_jeff already mentioned that.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom