Show us your spiders

Spazbyt

Hooked
That is a Black and Yellow Argiope, also known as the writing spider or zipper spider. Same family as the Silver Argiope I posted. Living in Florida, we learn too much about these things.

A zipper spider seems like a fitting name. You learn something every day, thank you. I normally don't see spiders this large in Missouri but this spider reminded me of some time I spent in the Florida keys with all the banana spiders.

JKbrick

About a month ago after taking out my trash cans I was on black widow patrol outside at night. The small ones I have no problem smashing with my flip flop. Once they get about quarter sized I prefer a shovel or stick. Not having anything else besides my flip flop I was mustering up the courage to smash one that was about quarter sized. She was very active and moving around her web. As I leaned in for the kill a damn moth or something flew into my head. The first though that came to mind was "Ambush!" and I freaked out swatting my head and yelling. I turned around and my neighbors were in there front yard watching the whole thing..haha. Had to regroup and make sure there was no spider up high and killed the intended target.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lmao! Were they videoing you by chance? Please post if they did

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
About a month ago after taking out my trash cans I was on black widow patrol outside at night. The small ones I have no problem smashing with my flip flop. Once they get about quarter sized I prefer a shovel or stick. Not having anything else besides my flip flop I was mustering up the courage to smash one that was about quarter sized. She was very active and moving around her web. As I leaned in for the kill a damn moth or something flew into my head. The first though that came to mind was "Ambush!" and I freaked out swatting my head and yelling. I turned around and my neighbors were in there front yard watching the whole thing..haha. Had to regroup and make sure there was no spider up high and killed the intended target.

Hahaha, damn things are really active this time of the year. There was a big ass garden spider that built a web in the corner of our garage door frame the other day. As we walked past it on the way to the house I swatted at the web with a stick to knock it down only to have the web along with the spider stick to the damn stick. I tried to wave the stick around to get the damn spider off but all that did was cause the spider to hang on and fly towards my head as I was shaking the stick! Scared the living shit out of me to have that thing flying towards my face with all 8 legs spread out....

jesse3638

Hooked
Lmao! Were they videoing you by chance? Please post if they did

Haha I wish they did. It would have been hilarious to see me flailing around with one flip flop on...haha.
Hahaha, damn things are really active this time of the year. There was a big ass garden spider that built a web in the corner of our garage door frame the other day. As we walked past it on the way to the house I swatted at the web with a stick to knock it down only to have the web along with the spider stick to the damn stick. I tried to wave the stick around to get the damn spider off but all that did was cause the spider to hang on and fly towards my head as I was shaking the stick! Scared the living shit out of me to have that thing flying towards my face with all 8 legs spread out....
Yeah they are. I've grown up around black widows so they don't really freak me out too much unless I think it's on me. Now my old coworker won't get closer than the flame from a lighter and a can of brake cleaner make..haha.

JKbrick

Lmao, spider webs and hornet nests!!

jdofmemi

That's funny shit there. At least when you can look back on it. Not so funny in the moment.

I've done pretty much the same thing, and scared the shit out of myself.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

That’s pretty funny and sounds like something I would do. All fine till I think one’s on me. But I go around the house at night about once a week with a flashlight and map gas torch with push button igniter and give em a quick singe. Works great.

RedPool

A zipper spider seems like a fitting name. You learn something every day, thank you. I normally don't see spiders this large in Missouri but this spider reminded me of some time I spent in the Florida keys with all the banana spiders.

We have all kinds of critters here. Some are good, some are bad. Currently, our biggest issue is wolf spiders. If you walk outside at night, before the dew sets, and shine a flash light around the yard, you can see them everywhere. The eyes reflect the light and look like little gems. Kind of a mix of cool and creepy while keeping the wife inside after the sun goes down.

Ddays

Hooked
Currently, our biggest issue is wolf spiders. If you walk outside at night, before the dew sets, and shine a flash light around the yard, you can see them everywhere. The eyes reflect the light and make them look like fucking monsters. Creepy as fuck and everyone's too goddam afraid to ever come to my house ever again....

Fixed that shit for ya :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Pretty damn accurate!

Yeeech. Had something similar happen at my buddies house a looong time ago. He lived in an old farm house in the middle of a field and when I walked out of his house late one night into the breezeway, I shit you not, there were hundreds of those fuckers all over the walls, ceilings, and the floor. I was literally too scared to move. He was laughing until he came around the porch and saw how many there actually were. Creepiest thing I've ever experienced. He turned the lights on and the fuckers started booking all over the place and I totally freaked and ran screaming with my hood pulled over my face out to my truck.

I don't know how in the hell he went to sleep that night. It would have been hotel time for me!

Top Bottom