3.8L Stroker

Hey everyone! I'm the FNG with an 08 JKU. I'm installing a prorock 44 in the front and rebuilding the rear 44. I'm going to use 35 spline axles with a locker. (Ox or ARB) [emoji848] the Hemi is cost prohibitive for me, so I want to get the Hesco 3.8l Stroker and supercharge it. Has anyone ran this kind of setup before? What brand of heads should I use. I want low end torque, of course. Thanks in advance!

WJCO

Meme King
Hey everyone! I'm the FNG with an 08 JKU. I'm installing a prorock 44 in the front and rebuilding the rear 44. I'm going to use 35 spline axles with a locker. (Ox or ARB) [emoji848] the Hemi is cost prohibitive for me, so I want to get the Hesco 3.8l Stroker and supercharge it. Has anyone ran this kind of setup before? What brand of heads should I use. I want low end torque, of course. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to WAL. Why not just buy the pr44 assembled with 5.13s and an ARB, and re-gear the rear?

I would steer clear of a 3.8 stroker. The 3.8 block is kinda already punched out to the max and I haven't ever heard of a good long term outcome with a stroker.

You can get some pretty reliable performance from a supercharged 3.8 with the right set up. Pete from JKS always brought his around with a tweaked out Sprintex and that thing was a blast to drive! He made it though several JK Experience's with no trouble.

I would start with a fresh long block and take it in the supercharger direction if you're going to keep the 3.8.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
not sure I would spend the money on doing anything to the 3.8, in the end you're still stuck with that crappy transmission.

I have a 2010 3.8 and 2015 3.6, love the transmission in the 2015, so smooth and the gears are close enough to each other it's just easy to drive.

my 3.8 I always feel beat-up after a long drive, having to keep my foot on the throttle so much and with my setup - 37's, 4:88's, what they call 4th (I call it a 3speed with shitty OD) is useless. when I had 35's I occasionally used OD with 37's I pretty much run with OD locked out as soon as I put it in drive.

With the added power you'll just be pushing rpms through a crappy transmission.

I'd invest in an LS with the 6speed transmission or trade it in if you don't have a lot of build invested in it.

Grubbicon

Personally Id stay clear of both of those. It seems strokers are great about running hot and throw a super charger on it probably wont be able to ever keep it cool. By the time you put out all that money you are probably somewhere around the price of a junkyard 5.3.

Welcome to WAL. Why not just buy the pr44 assembled with 5.13s and an ARB, and re-gear the rear?

It's an EDD so the 5:13 is to low. 411 or 488 would be the best for everyday driving. The ARB is a great locker, but I don't like the fact it relies on an air compressor to keep it locked. The Ox is a manual locker and will stay put until I want it off. I also want RVC axles. The rear will be re-geared with 35 spine axles and locker. Then some trusses to beef it up. I wish I could afford the pr60's (front and rear) [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
It's an EDD so the 5:13 is to low. 411 or 488 we be the best for everyday driving. The ARB is a great locker, but I don't like the fact it relies on an air compressor to keep it locked. The Ox is a manual locker and will stay put until I want it off. I also want RVC axles. The rear will be re-geared with 35 spine axles and locker. Then some trusses to beef it up. I wish I could afford the pr60's (front and rear) [emoji22]

Dynatrac does have new pricing from SEMA that you may want to look into. Also, they can build the axle however you want with different locker options. They even do have options for RCVs. May be worth a call. A few members here have had issues with RCV not standing behind their products, just an FYI.

not sure I would spend the money on doing anything to the 3.8, in the end you're still stuck with that crappy transmission.

I have a 2010 3.8 and 2015 3.6, love the transmission in the 2015, so smooth and the gears are close enough to each other it's just easy to drive.

my 3.8 I always feel beat-up after a long drive, having to keep my foot on the throttle so much and with my setup - 37's, 4:88's, what they call 4th (I call it a 3speed with shitty OD) is useless. when I had 35's I occasionally used OD with 37's I pretty much run with OD locked out as soon as I put it in drive.

With the added power you'll just be pushing rpms through a crappy transmission.

I'd invest in an LS with the 6speed transmission or trade it in if you don't have a lot of build invested in it.

Do you know of any transmission swaps that have been an improvement over the stock? I can't find anything like that. The swap is really expensive and Cali is a pain in the ass about smog legal stuff... [emoji36]

Personally Id stay clear of both of those. It seems strokers are great about running hot and throw a super charger on it probably wont be able to ever keep it cool. By the time you put out all that money you are probably somewhere around the price of a junkyard 5.3.

You're right about that but I don't trust any of the yards in this town to fork over that kind of money to them. [emoji30]

I would steer clear of a 3.8 stroker. The 3.8 block is kinda already punched out to the max and I haven't ever heard of a good long term outcome with a stroker.

You can get some pretty reliable performance from a supercharged 3.8 with the right set up. Pete from JKS always brought his around with a tweaked out Sprintex and that thing was a blast to drive! He made it though several JK Experience's with no trouble.

I would start with a fresh long block and take it in the supercharger direction if you're going to keep the 3.8.

This sounds like the most reliable and feasible plan. I have nearly 100k miles so it close to the end of its life. I could save a lot but using all the components from my motor to put on the new block. My wife would be happy if I didn't drop $30k on the old Jeep. [emoji23]

jeeeep

Hooked
It's an EDD so the 5:13 is to low. 411 or 488 we be the best for everyday driving. The ARB is a great locker, but I don't like the fact it relies on an air compressor to keep it locked. The Ox is a manual locker and will stay put until I want it off. I also want RVC axles. The rear will be re-geared with 35 spine axles and locker. Then some trusses to beef it up. I wish I could afford the pr60's (front and rear) [emoji22]

by the time you get done with all that and the amount of actual dollars you'll have spent you'll probably be at least 1/2 way to the cost of a pair of pr60's.

avoid the RVC especially on your current setup, if anything breaks it'll be in the pumpkin. IMO I'd rather have a u-joint break where it can be replaced with less expense.

last summer my buddy started out on the same path, he was given quotes that put everything in the $2500-$3000 range, by the time he got done and the actual costs of the unseen items, he was about $5500 into something that was basically a Band-Aid.

with the package price on PR60's at $11990 that'll give you a far better setup than you are considering I'd put that money into a Jeep fund

jeeeep

Hooked
Do you know of any transmission swaps that have been an improvement over the stock? I can't find anything like that. The swap is really expensive and Cali is a pain in the ass about smog legal stuff... [emoji36]

there are no transmission swap options for the 3.8 that offer a real improvement. I've searched and talked to a lot of shops, it's not worth it.

There is the purple transmission but it's not a real improvement.

Ddays

Hooked
I have wondered about this scenario too. Is it even possible? Not that I'm looking to do this, but why hasn't it been done before?

I would think a junkyard 3.6 & tranny combo would be pretty cheap since they're used in so many FCA vehicles. Don;t get me wrong, I love all of the attributes a V8 brings to the table but are they REALLY necessary? I can def see a V8 swap
if you're running 40's and/or you live out west & travel through the mountains. My Jeep was sucking wind going through Colorado this Summer. But where I live, honestly the 285 hp the 3.6 has is plenty.

Edit: An excellent comparison would be between the capabilities of Moby's LS & Rubicat' 3.6. They both have the pretty much the same setup now except for the motor, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom