DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Yep just went through this. Check tie rod ends, drag link ends, track bar bushings, bolts to the track bar bracket, ball joints, and unit bearings . Doubt it’s tires unless balance is way off . DW sucks good luck

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Well it's official... I have DW. Coming off the trail last weekend I felt it when hitting potholes on the fire road. When I connected the swaybar it went away but it still felt like it kind of wanted to. This week I have checked all the bolts and everything seems fine. I replaced the drag link joints on both ends but I still get DW when I hit a bump on one side while the sway bar is disconnected. Everything felt solid before the Trail run.... and the Jeep only has 15,000 miles on it. Ball Joints? Track Bar Bushings are damaged? I'm trying to figure out my next move.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Hmm... that might be hard to find... maybe synergy or Rancho?

Have one sitting in my garage. I'm not home now and won't be for awhile. If I can get my son to find it , maybe we can work out a way of getting it to you. We're talking 2011 track bar correct?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Have one sitting in my garage. I'm not home now and won't be for awhile. If I can get my son to find it , maybe we can work out a way of getting it to you. We're talking 2011 track bar correct?

I appreciate that, but I need to find one today, and I’m cool with picking up a new one. Thank you.

rubiDave

I appreciate that, but I need to find one today, and I’m cool with picking up a new one. Thank you.
Are you sure it's the track bar? Did you diagnose it as such? Have you burned the raised trackbar bracket to the axle yet?

In my case it was the pitman end of the draglink causing wobble. It barely had any play in it, but once replaced the wobble went away.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Factory. Just make sure it has the old style bushings. 2011 and prior.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hmm... that might be hard to find... maybe synergy or Rancho?

Pretty sure the crown replacements come with the good bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What Adam said^^ the crown factory replacement has the old style bushing in it. I recently replaced mine and can confirm.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56013_0006.htm

TrailHunter

Hooked
Are you sure it's the track bar? Did you diagnose it as such? Have you burned the raised trackbar bracket to the axle yet?

In my case it was the pitman end of the draglink causing wobble. It barely had any play in it, but once replaced the wobble went away.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The bolts are tight, but I’m going to weld it when I get a chance... and I replaced both ends of the drag link... a new track bar is the next logical move.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Update: Since the new Drag link ends didn’t help much, I got a new Synergy track bar installed. Worked out good because I was able to center the Axle better. The stock Track Bar definitely seems worn at the frame end. I went back (disconnected sway bar & no stabilizer) and hit the same pot hole 5 times and it never went into full death Wobble like before... But It did seem like it wanted to a little though.... So I’m Not 100% satisfied. Tomorrow I will weld the track bar bracket to the axle.... if that doesn’t tighten it up, I’ll be ordering Ball Joints.

IMG_0803.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I jacked up each side of the axle and put a lever under the tire. There is definitely play in the ball joint up and down.. I'd say a good 1/16" on all 4... I could see easily see the ball joint and the axle shaft moving up & down.... at 12&6 there it feels pretty solid. Is that normal? Would that cause DW?

WJCO

Meme King
So I jacked up each side of the axle and put a lever under the tire. There is definitely play in the ball joint up and down.. I'd say a good 1/16" on all 4... I could see easily see the ball joint and the axle shaft moving up & down.... at 12&6 there it feels pretty solid. Is that normal? Would that cause DW?

Spec is .055 I believe. So yeah, they're probably bad.

BaddestCross

If you can see it move they're bad. [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom