SEMA 2017 RECAP : The TOP 5 GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So, that was my take on the 2017 SEMA show, I'd love to hear what you thought! What were your Top 5 favorite Jeeps and what were your Top 5 least favorite? Inquiring minds want to know :yup:

I think you nailed it, with this list. For me, #1 was the UMC CJ, and #2 was finally seeing the JL.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Too funny, that thing really was a basket case. :crazyeyes:

Sema is a place to show off your rigs and I think the other ones did that, shitty and ugly styling aside. That gonked thing just showed shitty fab work. Like, you’re not going to get anyone wanting to come to you for a build. Shit looks like it’ll break in half if someone touches it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Great Recap!! Can’t disagree with any of your choices...

Here are my picks for Top 5 (I could easily pick 15 more):

1. This is the rig I want once I hand over my JKUR to my son... This was my favorite!
IMG_5497.JPG

2. I would drive this like I stole it.
IMG_5498.JPG

3. This turned out so Bad Ass and really dig the Police theme...
IMG_5458.JPG

4. This has a utilitarian Military feel to me and I thought it was executed perfectly.
IMG_5499.JPG

5. I’m a sucker for old trucks... this is just beautiful!
IMG_5461.JPG

Bottom 5

1. That tall blue pile that needed a ladder to get into

2. The All white Tampon looking thing

3. The 6 wheeled useless Tan thing

4. The Spawn chain S&M thing

5. Everything with F’d up Grills & 26” Rims

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good recap :thumb:

Thank you :cool:

I pretty much agree with all your list “winners”. It feels like a lot of vendors (not all) are doing just enough this year, but biding their time for the JL. I don’t blame them, but it made this show less of a showcase than in past years - while mid-cycle for the JK.

That being said, there were some great builds and kudos to all the vendors associated with Wayalife. Theirs were some of the tops. I also really liked the ROAMR. A lot of it is what I envision a future JT to be in my driveway.

Many thanks to Eddie and Cindy for wearing out multiple pairs of shoes (again) to share all the products and builds. Best coverage of SEMA anywhere!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed our coverage this year :yup:

a big thanks for covering and posting each day :clap2::clap2:

I could hear the warren miller narration on all the posts!

your recap is right on! lots of great builds and just as many WTF's! lol

Thanks again!

:cheesy: I'm truly flattered :blush:

Spot on analysis
Some very cool stuff
Thanks for taking the care to document the show

Glad to hear you agree with the analysis and that you enjoyed the show. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I mostly agree with your list. A couple of differences for me.

Good list: 1. Your coverage of Sema(THANKS). 2. ALL of the old classic iron, especially Omix-Ada and the tasteful builds of old iron.

Bad: just so much to pick from, but you did well.

Really liked the SFZ products and the Rex system is really a neat idea.

LOL!! Glad to hear most of what I came up is what you'd go with too :yup:

Very much agree on the good bad and the ugly!

Awesome, glad to hear it :cool:

I think you nailed it, with this list. For me, #1 was the UMC CJ, and #2 was finally seeing the JL.

Yeah, the UMC CJ almost made it to the top of the list for me. I really had to think this one through. :crazyeyes:

Sema is a place to show off your rigs and I think the other ones did that, shitty and ugly styling aside. That gonked thing just showed shitty fab work. Like, you’re not going to get anyone wanting to come to you for a build. Shit looks like it’ll break in half if someone touches it.

:cheesy: I feel bad for the guy who built it but it's hard not to call what we see for what it really is :crazyeyes:

Great Recap!! Can’t disagree with any of your choices...

Here are my picks for Top 5 (I could easily pick 15 more):

1. This is the rig I want once I hand over my JKUR to my son... This was my favorite!

2. I would drive this like I stole it.

3. This turned out so Bad Ass and really dig the Police theme...

4. This has a utilitarian Military feel to me and I thought it was executed perfectly.

5. I’m a sucker for old trucks... this is just beautiful!

Bottom 5

1. That tall blue pile that needed a ladder to get into

2. The All white Tampon looking thing

3. The 6 wheeled useless Tan thing

4. The Spawn chain S&M thing

5. Everything with F’d up Grills & 26” Rims

Nice list - thanks for sharing what you'd go with :thumb:

My top 5 would be all from the Omix collection. I’d trade my Jeep for any of them.

They really do have the BEST collection of old Jeeps

Excellent read

Thank you!

Great recap Eddie ��

Brute

Hooked
I pretty much have to agree with your conclusions...I very much like the tasteful swb Broncos, most of the Jeep trucks (except those with more than 4 wheels), a more affordable Hellcat crate engine (geez, wonder why)...

For me, a practical means of adding IFS/IRS to a JK without going the custom race shop route is number one...I actually was giving this consideration two years ago when building my JK6...Dynatrac was working on one, Currie put one on a JK8 that they were considering marketing...but this REX system is unique in that it will be made specifically for the JK platform...if they work out the bugs and can get a quality product to market soon, I'd give it a serious look...

Thank you both for all the miles and hours you put in covering this show...I've only attended one SEMA (last year)...it is almost an overwhelming task to cover the whole show...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I pretty much have to agree with your conclusions...I very much like the tasteful swb Broncos, most of the Jeep trucks (except those with more than 4 wheels), a more affordable Hellcat crate engine (geez, wonder why)...

For me, a practical means of adding IFS/IRS to a JK without going the custom race shop route is number one...I actually was giving this consideration two years ago when building my JK6...Dynatrac was working on one, Currie put one on a JK8 that they were considering marketing...but this REX system is unique in that it will be made specifically for the JK platform...if they work out the bugs and can get a quality product to market soon, I'd give it a serious look...

Thank you both for all the miles and hours you put in covering this show...I've only attended one SEMA (last year)...it is almost an overwhelming task to cover the whole show...

Glad you enjoyed the coverage and thanks for the input on what you thought of the show :thumb:

Great write up with great photos!

Thank you, we're so glad you liked our photos :yup:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I'm 100 % with you Eddie but as a European I would have loved a little more info from FCA on what they have in store for us (gulp) with the engines and drivetrains in the JL.........

Amrth

Eddie - Thanks a ton for the visual sema treat for us. For the whole last week checking this blog was the first thing at office in my to-do list :D

Great stuff, must be exhaustive to get all of them.. did you see who won the battle of the builders this year?

J

JKDream

#2 - BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit

So much of the aftermarket industry exists to provide products that are significant improvements over what came on your Jeep from the factory. It is because of this that I have to give the #2 - BAD spot to BDS Suspension and for making what is essentially a ridiculous Jeep JK Wrangler tie-rod protector. While I fully understand that there are uneducated people out there who are convinced that 2 steering stabilizers has to be better than just one, to place them way in front of and well below the tie-rod, a component that gets hit all the time and to the point where most replace them with an HD version and/or relocates it higher, makes absolutely no sense to me. I have to say, the fact that BDS would come up with this terrible idea at all is enough to make me question ALL of their products.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/49407-2017-SEMA-Fusion-Bumpers-White-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Unlimited

Maybe the theory is that if you add one pressurized steering stabilizer that causes a pull one side, adding a second pointing the other way must make it drive straight right? :idontknow:
That wack track bar bracket is scary enough on it's own. BDS is garbo.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Thanks to Cindy and Eddie for another great year of SEMA coverage! The JL pics are great,and I cant wait to see one in person! For me personally, the IFS system is awesome and I know I may be lone wolf here, but I’m all for an IFS Wrangler. That Synergy Commando though! Good lord that is a gorgeous Jeep! Ill have that one, or the ROAMR Gladiator!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BDS Suspension

20171030175327-eaa9dae9-me.jpg

So much of the aftermarket industry exists to provide products that are significant improvements over what came on your Jeep from the factory. It is because of this that I have to give the #2 - BAD spot to BDS Suspension and for making what is essentially a ridiculous Jeep JK Wrangler tie-rod protector. While I fully understand that there are uneducated people out there who are convinced that 2 steering stabilizers has to be better than just one, to place them way in front of and well below the tie-rod, a component that gets hit all the time and to the point where most replace them with an HD version and/or relocates it higher, makes absolutely no sense to me. I have to say, the fact that BDS would come up with this terrible idea at all is enough to make me question ALL of their products.

While you raise a legitimate concern based on the positioning of this particular dual stabilizer kit, the fact of the matter is this steering stabilizer kit is installed incorrectly. Our kit is designed to mount above the tie rod so that it doesn’t effect overall ground clearance. There were several examples of it installed correctly on vehicles around the show to reference if you chose to do so. We’ve been offering this kit as well as OE replacement stabilizer and the FOX ATS for the JK for several years. While we pride ourselves in offering high-quality lift kits and accessories, not all products are designed strictly to enhance offroad performance. As the trend to run larger/wider wheels and tires continues it creates more of a need for a steering stabilizer capable of controlling them on the road as well. When installed correctly this dual stabilizer offers improved steering control without the feedback associated with oversized tires/wheels. You’re entitled to your opinion, but questioning our entire company base on an incorrectly installed part on a show vehicle that isn't ours seems a bit harsh. We’ve been in business for more than 20 years designing, testing and using our products on and off-road. We stand behind our products with a no fine print warranty. -BDS Suspension

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While you raise a legitimate concern based on the positioning of this particular dual stabilizer kit, the fact of the matter is this steering stabilizer kit is installed incorrectly. Our kit is designed to mount above the tie rod so that it doesn’t effect overall ground clearance. There were several examples of it installed correctly on vehicles around the show to reference if you chose to do so. We’ve been offering this kit as well as OE replacement stabilizer and the FOX ATS for the JK for several years. While we pride ourselves in offering high-quality lift kits and accessories, not all products are designed strictly to enhance offroad performance. As the trend to run larger/wider wheels and tires continues it creates more of a need for a steering stabilizer capable of controlling them on the road as well. When installed correctly this dual stabilizer offers improved steering control without the feedback associated with oversized tires/wheels. You’re entitled to your opinion, but questioning our entire company base on an incorrectly installed part on a show vehicle that isn't ours seems a bit harsh. We’ve been in business for more than 20 years designing, testing and using our products on and off-road. We stand behind our products with a no fine print warranty. -BDS Suspension

Wow, after 20 years of designing, testing and using your products on and off-road, I am surprised that you still believe that a dual steering stabilizer system is somehow necessary to control larger and bigger tires. Clearly, all the other companies out there who don't feel there's a need for one have a lot to learn from you. As far as the so called installation error goes, it is funny how it's your product, one that you provided to be displayed prominently at SEMA and yet, it's somehow my fault for pointing out what I saw. I do appreciate you acknowledging the fact that I am entitled to my opinion, here on my own forum and have to say that you signing up on it and just to post this up, has only enforced what I think of BDS.

Top Bottom