EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

Ddays

Hooked
Oh yeah, it'd be totally awesome to meet some of you guys. :thumb:

Yes, with a group this big, the BLM will REQUIRE you to have a permit for each and every trail you run especially out in Moab. If I recall, you will need to apply for the permits at least 180 days in advance but that shouldn't be a problem being that you're all planning this now. Not sure if you'll need insurance as well but being that this trip isn't being planned by a business, you may not need it.

Thanks for the heads up! I just googled the permits - looks like there is a Moab BLM office to contact for this. Guess we'll need to pick the trails sometime in December to be safe.

Edit: I also would love to see you there!

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Thanks for the heads up! I just googled the permits - looks like there is a Moab BLM office to contact for this. Guess we'll need to pick the trails sometime in December to be safe.

I agree, figuring out some trails by December would be a good plan.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Oh yeah, it'd be totally awesome to meet some of you guys. :thumb:

Yes, with a group this big, the BLM will REQUIRE you to have a permit for each and every trail you run especially out in Moab. If I recall, you will need to apply for the permits at least 180 days in advance but that shouldn't be a problem being that you're all planning this now. Not sure if you'll need insurance as well but being that this trip isn't being planned by a business, you may not need it.

Thank you for the heads up! I hope it works out for you to join[emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We would definitely be honored by your presence, for sure! We’ll have to figure out what we need to do for permits. When I was there this summer, we had to get a pass for Hells Revenge, but none of the other trails had provisions for that. I suppose that doesn’t mean a permit wasn’t required, but we didn’t know to pull one.

Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are within the Salt Flats Recreation Area and they require a fee to use. This is NOT the same thing as a permit to run trails with a large group. What's lame is that you would still need a permit on top of the entrance fee for those trails.

Cool. Jennifer will be your contact and she's pretty serious about her job. :crazyeyes:

Thank you for the heads up! I hope it works out for you to join[emoji106]

There's a reason why Cindy and I stopped doing big runs out there. If you guys can get this figured out, we'd love to try and make it out.

jdofmemi

That’s great! Look forward to meeting you!
I don’t know what you think of KoAs but there is one in Moab. I’ll be staying in one of the cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The cabins are nice. That's what I did last time.

The condos might be a better deal if more than one can share, since you get a garage.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The JK doesn't count.

It would be really tough to make this one because I'm already taking off a lot of time in July. I'll know more closer to next summer.

No worries, love to meet you even for a day run while we are there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll get on this to make sure the group is all set.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are within the Salt Flats Recreation Area and they require a fee to use. This is NOT the same thing as a permit to run trails with a large group. What's lame is that you would still need a permit on top of the entrance fee for those trails.

Cool. Jennifer will be your contact and she's pretty serious about her job. :crazyeyes:

There's a reason why Cindy and I stopped doing big runs out there. If you guys can get this figured out, we'd love to try and make it out.

Thanks Eddie! I’m sure we’ll be talking in the next couple months getting the details pulled together.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I remember when she stopped us coming off of cliffhanger. Biotch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Exodus 4x4

All of this is why I’m done with Moab and large groups. It’s ridiculous what you have to go through just to run as a group, add to that much more if you plan on using any pictures for commercial use.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
All of this is why I’m done with Moab and large groups. It’s ridiculous what you have to go through just to run as a group, add to that much more if you plan on using any pictures for commercial use.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ll handle the headache of getting it set up, you just gotta show up for this one.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when she stopped us coming off of cliffhanger. Biotch.

LOL - what was really lame is that we weren't even that big of a group. Of course, when I opened my big mouth to note as much, that's when she started asking about our decals and saying how she was going to "look into us". :naw:

I've been going to Moab a very long time and it wasn't always like this. I think social media changed things for the worse.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hopefully mid summer will help with the crowds and Social media junkies and keep them at home.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully mid summer will help with the crowds and Social media junkies and keep them at home.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

It's hot as all hell in August, there won't be any crowds. Social media has just brought a lot of attention to the area and the people who use it. In spite of what we'd like to think, there are a lot more people who venture out to Moab other than Jeepers and they aren't to thrilled to see us out there. To be fair to the BLM, they don't necessarily go around looking to bust people per se but but they do need to respond to complaints that are filed. Big groups tend to be big targets.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It's hot as all hell in August, there won't be any crowds. Social media has just brought a lot of attention to the area and the people who use it. In spite of what we'd like to think, there are a lot more people who venture out to Moab other than Jeepers and they aren't to thrilled to see us out there. To be fair to the BLM, they don't necessarily go around looking to bust people per se but but they do need to respond to complaints that are filed. Big groups tend to be big targets.

For sure, makes sense. We’ll start chasing down the proper permits this week.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom